ever been postponed due to OTC meds??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ever been postponed due to OTC meds??? ever been postponed due to OTC meds???

Unread 04-14-2002, 12:47 PM
ever been postponed due to OTC meds???

I just posted a reply to over the counter meds.... I took advil (like motrin) yesterday and my surgery is the 23rd..... has anyone ever had their surgery cancled cuz of it? I can't believe I did it... that is just what I get for trying not to think about my surgery per dh's repeated requests..... BUT no one at my surgeons office and no one at my primary's office who did my pre op physical this past tuesday said anything.. the only thing they did say was no decongestants... I wanted one for my ear that was infected and has some congestion... they said I could use afrin nasal spray.
Now that I think about it... my multi vitamin has the min. amount of Vit E... is THAT a problem too... lord I am not going to sleep tonight..... if I get cancled my surgeon is sooo busy I won't get in until JUNE... I CAN"T take more waiting......
soooo has anyone ever had theirs cancled due to this????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 01:05 PM

You should check with your doctor and ask specifically when you need to stop OTC meds. Some of the vitamins can interfere with blood clotting by making your blood too thin. It is still early, so if you quit them now, I would think you'd be ok. They will cancel your surgery if you take anything - you have to be so careful. I had my pre-op at the hospital a week before my surgery. They wanted to know EVERYTHING I'd been taking recently, including herbs.
Unread 04-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi Sweety

I take a vitamin e and my pre-op visit said those were ok, but I suggest you talk to your DR if you have had your pre-op already. You wouldn't want to mess it up. I think there is time to stop anything because you have a couple week or around that. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:02 AM

Since my was done hastily and my preop wasn't until the afternoon before, I can tell you that I took motrin, multivitamins, allergy medicine, and even Zoloft until the day before. The only think they told me, was to take my normal meds the morning before with just a tiny sip of water. Call you doctor, but don't panic, I doubt they will postpone you for motrin.
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:41 AM

Blood thinners are a problem pre-surgery. I was told no aspirin, only Tylenol for 2 weeks prior. I should have known about the herbs, but was surprised when doc also said ginseng was out. Forgot it was a thinner. You should be ok if you don't take anything on the 'no' list 2 weeks prior, just mention it to doc. I was also allowed to take my antidepressant with a tiny sip of water and an anxiety pill if I needed one.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register