Catheter at home after A& P repair | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter at home after A& P repair Catheter at home after A& P repair

Unread 04-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Catheter at home after A& P repair

I am coming down to the wire now waiting for April 23rd to get here. I have read dozens of the A&P repair related posts and this catheter business sounds like such a nightmare. Does anyone come home after a LAVH/BSO and A&P without any catheter? Do these things ever go smoothly? I wonder whether the people who breeze through it just don't feel the need to post anything.

Maybe I am going through LIW paranoia. I have been up since 4AM this morning doing a million loads of wash and scrubbing the house. I couldn't sleep anyway.

I am a little worried about the fact that my pre-op appointment isn't until 10:15 the day before. It sounds like most people are "prepping" for longer than that. Should I stick to just liquids prior to that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 03:18 PM

Hi There!

Aw, sweetie, I know just how you're feeling! I, too was a madwoman, trying to prepare for my trip to the castle! I think any princess can relate!

As for your procedure, I've read plenty of success stories; please try not to worry ~ I think you're right; we do have those who need support and hugs post more than those whose surgeries went silky smooth. Even if it does turn out that your catheter comes home with you, there are many success stories about those, too, so please do try not to worry yourself about things that have not even come about.

Regarding your pre-op appointment, it won't hurt to call and ask if there are any special instructions for the week prior to your surgery; they should be letting you know about the meds, herbs, and other supplements to avoid during this time anyway. What ever they do tell you about your preparations, it is very important you stick with just those instructions and not those instructions others may have been given. For example, some are instructed to do a bowel prep, while others are not. DRs have very specific reasons for instructing one way or the other, so don't base your prep instructions on anyone else's. I wouldn't go to an all-liquid diet the day before unless specifically instructed to do so.

Best wishes, sweetie! We're here for ya! Please try to relax, be calm, and don't fret!

Love N HUGS,
Unread 04-14-2002, 04:23 PM
great news, NOT

Just ran up to put on yet another load of wash, stopped in the bathroom and guess what I saw??? Now I've got pink eye! I really didn't need this a week before. I have been working 10 hours a day trying to save up enough comp time for at least a four week recovery before I have to go back to work and now I will have to stay out for PINK EYE! Sure is a good thing I'm a pretty even keeled person or some one would have to peel me off the ceiling right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Ro....come down from that ceiling girl

LOL!!! And join the 4.23 LIW.....there are quite a few of us here. We are all stressing out right now as we are at the final week. Wow....I thought it would somehow take longer for it to arrive. What a wild ride this has been. I have three friends who have had hystos.....one of the three came home with a cath. But she had bladder/uterus connections....all wrapped up in one another. She said the cath was no big deal....and it was nice to drink beer and not have to get up to pee....LOL!!!

God Bless
Cindy
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:17 AM

I feel for all who have to wear one. After my child was born I had to wear one for 2 weeks. One week in hospital and one at home...Me and ol' cathy got to become pretty close...Not really.

Anyway to calm you- It wasn't that bad.

I was told not to eat or drink after 12 midnight before surgery.

good luck
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:57 AM

I'm not sure what A&P repair is, but I had a bladder repair and a suprapubic catheter. I was told that only about 10% of women get them out before going home from the hospital. This is because they aren't able to urinate on their own. I was determined to be one of the 10%. When it was time to slowly train my bladder to go on its own, I began drinking a lot of water. The fuller the bladder, the easier it is to go on your own. Success!! I got my catheter out the morning of my release!

I had my preop at 1:00 p.m. the day before my surgery. A few days before, I went to my MD's nurse to get prescriptions for the stuff I had to take 2 nights before my surgery. If you haven't been told otherwise, you probably just need to fast (nothing by mouth) from midnight the night before. But you may want to call your doctor just to make sure.
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:34 AM

hon I had the A & P repairs I came home with the cath
and it was not that bad I just had it 4 days at home
I was kinda glad I had it cause I didn't have to get up to go to the bathroom I took a shower with it too and it is not bad to get it out to
just my two cents

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register