HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post op infection at 2 weeks! Post op infection at 2 weeks!

Unread 04-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Post op infection at 2 weeks!

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to know if anyone out there had this unfortunate experience. Had LSH on 3/27 and was doing great until last thursday when I had to go to ER for heavy bleeding. Mind you I had no pain or other symptoms to give me any clue I was about to have a serious setback. Anyways my white count was very elevated and my doctor felt that the infection and bleeding were related.

Well I am now on antibiotics ( flagyl) and feel like I am back to about 4 days post op. Down for another week until I finish all medication and quite frankly am really bummed. I think the creepy part is that I could have something so serious sneak up on me! I mean I litterally just stood up and gushed blood!!! For goodness sake thats why I had the darn surgery!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!!! Back to the couch I go!!!
Unread 04-14-2002, 05:11 PM

Hi Diana, I moved your post to the post op forum where you would get more replies. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. Please rest and keep our Dr. posted on your symptoms.
Unread 04-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Thank You!

Hi!

Thank you for bumping my post, I just did not have the energy to write this out twice today!

Back to the couch........again!!!
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:17 PM

Hi Dianna,
The exact thing happened to me. I was into my 2nd week post, and at 2am I started bleeding so bad. The DR did a blood count and the wbc was way up. He had to do a pelvic and drain (gross) the vaginal cuff. He also put me on flagyl. The medicine made me lose my appetite, so I lost 15 lbs in 2weeks. Good news though,
I am now 4weeks post op tomorrow, and the DR released me last Friday. I am going to work tomorrow also. I have been walking 2 miles everyday last week. I am amazed at the fast turn around.
I started feeling better after I had finished the medicine.
I will be thinking of you. Get plenty of rest now and drink lots of water, it really helps. You will feel better soon!
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:07 AM
Thanks Coz

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your setback but I am glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Sounds like you turned around really quickly and already released......WOW!

Sounds like your ER experience was very similar to mine, somehow that is comforting! The doctor seemed very confident that the medication would do the trick, however, I keep waiting for things to go the other way. So back to the couch for more rest and thank you so much for sharing.......I feel a little better knowing I am not alone!
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:25 PM

Bumping myself up!!! Thank you ladies!
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:44 AM
swab for infection?

Did your doctor send a swab of the infection to pathology?

I had an infection on the actual scar, and it turns out it is golden staph. It took three visits to the doc before I got it swabbed.

If it is a serious infection you will need to know asap so you can get the appropriately strong anti-biotics.

Love and light,

Nina

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.