Help me do it!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help me do it!!! Help me do it!!!

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Help me do it!!!

I'm scheduled for a LAVH (unless he has to do an incision based on what he finds), on April 24th. I'm terrified. My symptoms are heavy bleeding for 3-4 days, numerous fibroids, ovarian cysts, crampiness for 3 weeks, spotting before and after my heavy days for up to 18 days, fatigue, and bad moodiness. Will the hys. relieve the moodiness and help with the fatigue significantly???? Also don't know if they're taking my cervix--why do they do this and what is up in there then? I guess I didn't even think about the cervix. Sometimes I think I really don't need one- right now I'm not bleeding (in between periods)- and not suffering so am unsure. Still very fatigued and feel a pressure and fullness in my abdomen tho. Anybody else do it for these symptoms? My Doctor for about 6 months has been pretty much telling me to decide because that's the only way to help me, had a doozy of a period last month and told him to do it! Please answer my questions someone.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 05:52 PM
Help me do it!!!

Vicky,

Sounds like you are right at the beginning of trying to figure things out. This is a stressful time but hang in there and get all your answers.
If you can stop the bleeding with the hysterectomy then you will regain your red blood cell count and regain your strength. You should not feel so tired after you have gone through your recovery.
Discuss in length with your doctor about your cervix. Their are alot of different ideas here from the girls. If he takes it he will simply sew the end of where the cervix was to close the top of the vagina.
Moodiness is another thing. If it is due to hormone levels that is again something your doctor needs to talk with you about. Is he taking your ovaries? Most likely he will give you hormone therapy. But moodines is also what we do when we are hurting.
So, pain, and feeling Not In Control, and having doubts about your condition all can create bad moods. If you're crying and not sleeping and depressed then he needs to know. Hormones may help this but getting answers to all your question will help too.
Their are options to surgery...I'm assuming during the last 6 months you and doc have tried a few?
Please read all you can here. The girls have posted wonderful experiences and their own personal thoughts on every subject. You need to feel good and solid about your decision before you have major surgery. You don't have much time to prepare. But keeping busy is very good. My best to you..I'm sure others will jump in here soon.
Maralyn
Unread 04-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Hi VickiL

I think it is very normal to reconsider whether or not we need a hysterectomy on those few days a month when we are feeling okay. Facing surgery is scary. This is major surgery and no one should go into without having complete peace of mind that this is the right decision.
HysterSisters is not pro or anti hysterectomy. We want to support every woman with sufficient information and caring to reach the right decision for her.
Here is the link for Options and Alternatives.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...d=4&daysprune=
For me, endometrial cancer was discovered so I had no option about whether this was right for me.
However I can tell you I feel terrific and better than I have felt in a long time. It is wonderful not to be bleeding almost all the time. And, yes, for me the fatigue which was caused by anemia and the moodiness are gone. I just started HRT recently which I am sure helped too. I am almost 51 so probably needed it anyway.
It is a pleasure to go through life and be free of periods, pain, flooding, PMS, pads, pads, pads....ruined clothes, vacations, etc.
Ultimately this is your decision along with your doctor. Have you discussed any other alternatives with your doctor? You might want to get a second opinion from another doctor also on whether a hysterectomy or some other alternative would be best for you.
Also, the cervix is part of the uterus. It is the button sized opening to the uterus from the vagina. Some women decide to keep them as they feel it might improve sex and prevent any bladder problems. Many of us have had the cervix taken with the uterus and have never missed it. Again discuss this with your doctor.
Keep reading here. All the information and past experiences of other women will help you make your decision.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register