what to expect afterward | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to expect afterward what to expect afterward

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:08 PM
what to expect afterward

I am having a TAH/BSO on 4/22. I have large ovarian cysts. My uterus looked thick. They think here maybe Endo present. My left ovary is pushing up into my small intestine. I have been through 3 major abdominal surgeries in the last 5 yrs. The surgery itself does not bother me. I just can not wait to get it over with. Tired of living with the pain. They had to put it off for two weeks to coordinate the surgery with the GYN and my regular surgeon. Just in case of complications with the intestines. They will be going in by the vertical scar already there. I will be starting HRT right away. I have osteopenia (39yrs old). I had my pre-op last week. The GYN said I would get hot flashes even with the HRT. Any clue as to the mood swings? How soon wil the hot flashes start? Is there a drainage afterward and how long. I will be having my cervix removed. Anything that will remove a cancer risk is good. Ant help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Hi Bobbi

I don't know why your doctor said you would get hot flashes when you are starting HRT right away. I think we are all very different though. I would ask him some more questions on this such as what you will be started on, what dosage, why he thinks you will still have symptoms right away, etc?
I did not start on HRT until I was 5 weeks post op. I had a few warm flashes but it was no big deal. Some women will have them right away though.
Please visit the Hormone Jungle. Here is the link:
http://www.hormonejungle.com/
Also you can use the purple search button in the upper right corner of this page and type in osteopenia. You will get lot's of previous threads to read through on that subject.
Good luck to you.
Keep reading and posting.
Unread 04-14-2002, 08:54 PM
what to expect afterward

Hi, Bobbi -

Wow - you've been through a lot!

Everyone is different, and HRT levels may work right away or may need adjustments.

I was given a patch in recovery, been on estradoil since and haven't had any hot flashes. Have had some mood swings that may be related to the hormone adjustment, but it's hard to know if it's that or other stuff going on :-).

I had no drainage tubes for the hyster, but I had a catheter for the first night so I didn't have to try and get up to go potty. They removed it the next morning along with the iv, had me walking around and taking a shower. I imagine that one might have a drainage tube depending on whether other procedures are done at the same time, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:16 PM
what to expect afterward

Thanks for the info. I think I confused the terms a little. I meant to refer to discharge or bleeding afterward. Or is it all over with when everything is removed. I hope there are no drainage tubes. They suck. I do not care for the catheter either, always seems to stop draining. I then have to lift the tubes to get relief. As long as I get my Demerol pump. Then everything will be fine.
Unread 04-16-2002, 03:44 AM
what to expect afterward

Discharge after varies with each person. I had a TAH/BSO and had just a little. I wore a pantiliner for a couple of weeks, but didn't really need one for that long - some habits are hard to break!

I started HRT two weeks after the surgery. I had one or two warmish flashes (or maybe it was from the cold I came down with) but since starting Estrace 1mg/day I have felt fine. And best of all no wild mood swings!
Unread 04-16-2002, 06:22 AM
what to expect afterward

I got a patch the next day after my surgery and experienced a couple of hot flashes and one emotional outburst that day, but it's been smooth sailing ever since. (I switched to low dose premarin at about 4 weeks post).

I had no real appreciable discharge, just some slight yellowish white stuff for 2-3 weeks. When my husband and I resumed intercourse at 6 weeks, I had some spotting. I had to go back to the MD's office for silver nitrate treatment and it went away immediately. Nothing since.
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:14 PM
what to expect afterward

Thanks for all the answers. I just called to pre register. And make sure the surgery was not postponed again. Originally it was scheduled for today. It would have been nice to have it done today. I was 3 hours late today for work. Luckily my boss is understanding.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register