Thanks for advice on whether or not to tell | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thanks for advice on whether or not to tell Thanks for advice on whether or not to tell

Unread 04-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Thanks for advice on whether or not to tell

I posted earlier on whether I should tell the woman I work for about my hysterectomy. I really appreciate the advice you all gave me. It helped me come to a decision. I decided to tell her. I called her tonight and told her that I was having a hysterectomy and she was very understanding. I do feel better now and I don't have to make up excuses as to why I can't work in July. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:07 AM

Anytime- That's why I love this place. It helps you so much.
Good Luck
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:30 AM

I was glad to see someone else has had different thoughts about telling other people what was going on.

I had to tell my boss so she could get someone to fill in for me while I'll be out. After that, I've really thought about it--even whether/when to tell family. I've told a few different ones from work that I work more closely with. I like the people I work with, but I'm just not real close with everyone so it feels kind of weird "Oh by the way, I won't be here 4/29 because I'm having a hysterectomy". So I guess they'll figure it out. I just told my best friend tonight.

I just told my kids (22 & 19) this week, and I don't plan on telling my Mom (77) until the day before. Don't want to worry her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Whether to tell!

Hi there, I am going through this weird thing with my mum at the moment. I had no intention of telling her about my hysterectomy and then last week she was taken to hospital with a heart problem and is still in. I would have felt awful and blamed myself had I told her. I am trying to get my sister to come over from England and care for me, any excuse to see her, so we had to make up this whole tale about me having 'vein trouble' and not being able to walk about by myself for a while after the op. It was way less traumatic than telling her the truth. Mum wanted me to go home to England now and see her, (my op is on Friday) and I obviously couldn't go, so we said i couldn't fly in case of thrombosis. It is getting to be a web of intrigue and a little stressful trying to remember what we have said. It is worth it not to have my Mum worrying but it is getting quite comical at the same time. My brother-in-law went to see her on Saturday and Mum asked him if he knew about my op, he replied "I don't know what I know anymore".
My work mates have been very supportive and encouraging, one of them had a TVH last year and sailed through it so she is very positive and great to talk to this week. You really just have to do what feels right. Good luck and take care.

Katygirl

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register