fibroid size | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-14-2002, 10:23 PM
fibroid size

Just curious, but just how big do fibroids usually get before a hyst is recommended. I'm trying to decide between a hyst and myomectomy (I'm 37 and haven't decided that I might actually want kids, so I'm still working out that one too). My ob/gyn says a myomectomy is not medically recommended in my case, but could be done. Being in Canada and fast growing fibroids (about an inch (1.5 cm a month), MRIs and such are only available if I want to go to the US and pay for them (I pay NOTHING for medical up here, even perscrpitions are half the price - although Lupron is out of my budget range). So I only know I've got 22 x 15 x 8 cm (10''x 6'' x 4''), plus another big hard fibroid hidden from ultrasound (feels like the size of 2 golf balls, its easy to feel). They've developed in 24 months - since I had the IUD changed last, and the bleeding and anemia also developed.

So the fast growth is I suppose a reason for a hyst rather than a myomectomy - and the chance of the regrowth business. Would anybody know if the size would be a factor in the Dr. recommendation for a TAV as well. How big do these things normally get before they take 'em out?

Cheers
Andi Mc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:45 PM
size may not count here

Andi Mc

Sounds like you've got yourself some fibroids..sometimes size may not count. If however they are causing symtoms; abnormal bleeding, anemia, pelvic pressure, leg and back pain, clots, and interfer with your life, then doctors recomend surgery. At least after trying options such as ablation, Lupron, etc.
My doctor said the smallest fibroids inside the uterus are usually the most painful and cause the most cramping and bleeding. But, alot of women do not suffer from the above symtoms and carry around huge fibroids.
Rapid growth can be alerting and mostly if a doctor cannot get a good view. I feel that not having sight of everything that is going on plus the rapid growth and the other symtoms may be why your doctor is suggesting the surgery. Just ask him.
My fibroids started growing suddenly after laying low for years and my doctor had urgency written all over her face. Her voice even changed. As soon as the endo biopsy came back neg. for cancer, the urgency left.
Myomectomy cannot work with the location of some fibroids. It wasn't an option for me either. I have fibroids inside the uterus, inside the wall, and outside. My doctor said "no way." And...sometimes this procedure can cause internal scarring...and like you said, fibroids can develop again. But if you want children then it would be an option for you to consider after a very long talk with your doctor. After this proceedure, often a baby must be delivered by c-section.
I'm sorry that you are going through so much so quickly. But you are at the right place. This is a wonderful site. Keep on reading and asking questions and talk with your doctor as much as you need to. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Maralyn
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:28 AM
fibroid size

They usually wait until your uterus is as big as a 12 week pregnancy. But I would consult in your doctor again especially if they are growing pretty fast.

Last year I was at 8 week size, some pain, but tolerable, year before 6 week size no bother. Now this year the last few months have been hell, went in my uterus was as big as a 16 week pregancy plus. Thought it was fibriods, did ultrasounds and found out I had Adenomyosis. Surgery next Monday can't wait!

archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 02:40 PM
oh so that's how big . . .

Well Archide and Maralyn that explains alot. In terms of pregnancy size the Dr says the bigger fibroid is at the 22 - 25 week size. It was at 20 wks when discovered 3 months back, and guess that's why we didn't explore too many other options. I was kinda wondering if she was just hysterectomy-happy, but I guess not.

So archide, gone to wearing pregancy clothes yet? I take a size 4 - 6 in a shirt or jacket, but over the last 6 months have gone to a size 14 - 16 skirt. My students are all excited about my new baby. Hope your surgery goes well, and you at least feel less stuffed on the other side.

Thanks for sharing
Andi Mc

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register