*Rest* after your surgery!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

*Rest* after your surgery!!! *Rest* after your surgery!!!

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:35 AM
*Rest* after your surgery!!!

Hi, ladies! *Please read and heed!* I am now 17 days post-op with an LAVH/LSO. I let my family do everything for me the first week and I was feeling pretty good that week. Well, I was feeling even better the next week (last week) and once my husband went back to work, I got up off the recliner and started "doing" - picking up some around the house, cooking and cooking, walking all over the market (only pushed the cart for a few minutes one day - I forgot I shouldn't!), cleaned the tub for the kids' baths, etc. *Do Not Do These Things!!!* I exhausted myself. I knew better but I "felt so good" I did them anyway.

Ladies, when you think to yourself, "I feel so good I think I'll...",
that's when a warning light should flash on and off in your mind!
There's trouble ahead if you do those things. I'm living proof of that. (If you do overdo, you'll still recover but it's better not to overdo.)

A lot of the ladies on this website have gone through surgery and recovery and you'll hear over and over again - *rest a lot, drink a lot and walk some* - they're right!!! Please don't do what I did! I spent the weekend exhausted (still kept cooking though - but I won't be doing much *this* week, I guarantee!) and I had a lot of abdominal discomfort last night, which I haven't had for days!

Just a "heads up" for you ladies scheduled for or considering this surgery. It *is* major surgery and you *must* take care of yourself afterwards so you can heal well. Get used to asking others to do things/get things for you - especially something to drink! - even if you feel uncomfortable about asking. It really is worth it to take the time to rest and heal.

Well, that' my lecture for today!! LOL!

Take care - love, Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:41 AM
I shall follow your advice

I promise.....I promise I promise......I am the same as you, if feeling better why not.....oh boy not this time....I have a wonderful vacation planned in July and want to be completely healed by then so I can go. Realizing of course I may tire more easily but sitting around the pool sounds so incredibly good to me that I shall behave like a perfect angel during recovery.

thanks for the advice, I hope you are resting today.

Cindy
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:49 AM

Hey, Cindy, that's a great idea - keeping in mind what's coming up over the summer is good motivation to rest and heal *now* so we can feel good enough to participate (or at least show up!). I'll start making a list to remind me! Thanks - Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:54 AM

Morning Sue

I'm with you girl! Definately the right advice!
I know from past surgery experience that the moment we feel good, we are up and doing stuff...and then we PAY FOR IT!
THIS TIME I AM DOING NOTHING!! I will resist the "feeling good" urge and just pamper myself and take it easy.
My freezer is full, the house is clean...well, it WAS clean...the last two days we have had a big dust storm so now there is dirt EVERYWHERE! Good thing I have a ways to go before my surgery...now I have to go room to room and clean AGAIN! I thought it was supposed to be "April Showers" NOT "April Dust Storms"
Take Care!
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:14 AM

I read the same story over and over. I did the same thing. I felt good and did too much and paid for it for a couple of days by lying on my back with a heating pad on my belly. This is great advice. No matter how great you feel, don't do too much! You will only make your recovery longer.
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:22 AM

Good for you, Kathy! Doing nothing means *doing nothing*!

Lisa, we found out the hard way, didn't we? Older but wiser.

Have a great day, ladies! I've got to get off this computer and put my feet up! Love, Sue
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:35 AM

I agree... My goal is to get to visit some family in DC in July. I also have a graduation in June to go to. So the house can wait... I'm putting myself first... gee, can't think of the last time I did that one !!!
Feel Better soon !!!
kara
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:36 AM

Great, Kara! Good thinking - *put yourself first*!

Way to go!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register