hysterectomy pain vs. C-section | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy pain vs. C-section hysterectomy pain vs. C-section

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:24 AM
hysterectomy pain vs. C-section

HI! I am a new member.
I will have a TAH two weeks from today.
I have had so many people tell me that since I have had C-sections (3) that this should be a breeze-or that I know what to expect. The more I read on this site-the more I started to think that the comparison isn't quite accurate. Anyone out there that has had C-sections and TAH-please inform me. I am so !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:38 AM

Hi and welcome to the Hyster Sisters site!

I have had 2 vertical incisons and 2 horizontal incisions. 2 kids, one tubal and one hyster. In my experiences it was easier to recover from a horizontal incision from the hyster than from having a kiddo. I think it's because I was expecting more complications, pain and I was mentally positive about the surgery as I was in extreme pain before the surgery. I couldn't wait to get it done and be out of pain!

So, for me, it was easier than having a baby. Especially since in recovery all I had to do was walk, drink water and sleep. Nice being spoiled and not having to care for a newborn.

During a hyster all your organs are shifted around, not just taking out a baby. So, for some it's more difficult to recover, it may take longer. Good luck and remember, everyone is different!

Sara
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:38 AM

I have yet to have my tah/bso, its the 23rd of this month... but my thinking about c sections, I've had three also vs. hysterectomy... the common thing is the cut, either bikini or veritcal... after that... i would think that there should be more recouperation time because things are being removed so that means more stitches... in a c section the uterus is cut, not removed .... I think having had the c sections give us a good idea what to except though....anyone who told me that this operation should be a breeze for me would not like my reponse unless they have also gone through it.
best wishes and take good care of yourself..
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:14 AM

I had two c-sections and then the TAH. There was no comparison! During a c-section, you are only having your utreus cut and then skin, etc. It took me 2 weeks to feel "good" after the first c-section and 1 week after the second one. But with a TAH, you are having your uterus cut away from ligaments that are attaching it to your pelvis. Although the outer incision is the same and it heals the same, the cut ligaments don't take kindly to the insult and I found that it took 4 weeks to feel as good as I did in 2 weeks after the c-sections. Also, it took another 2 months before I got my energy back and felt "normal".

But now that I'm 6 months post-op, I feel great! I would do it again in a New York minute!
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:00 AM

Everyone is different and each surgery is a little different, but I was like Lisa. With my c-sections I was up and around feeling pretty good a couple days later. After my TAH, I could barely get around the house for a week or more! There really is much more invasive work done with a hyst and more swelling, so you have to plan on a longer recovery period. Doctors say it takes 6-8 weeks for the tissues to be healed enough to start doing normal activity (though not strenuous activity), and then healing can continue even up to 6-12 months later. If you try to do too much (even standing for too long of a time), you'll hear about it from your body and could cause increased swelling. (You have heard of the "Pillow Police" haven't you? They will arrest you and put you back to bed if you over-do!) Your dr will give you specific instructions, but usually it's: no lifting, no bending, no driving(for at least 2 weeks), no heavy housework (including vacuuming!) and no strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks. Also, nothing in the vagina until the dr clears you after your 6 week check. But it's a time to relax and be pampered! Be nice to your body and let it heal correctly. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:24 AM

Your question is a good one. I asked it of everyone in the chat rooms. I had 4 previous c-sections, the last being 12 years ago.

I went into this expecting the hyster to be more painful and a longer recovery. I am now 18 days post. I had a TAH, kept ovaries. I found the hyster to be much easier than the c-sections. The doctor went in through my old c-section bikini cut scar. He found a ton of adhesions, as he expected he would. My uterus and bladder were adhered to my abdominal wall. I didn't have any pain prior to my hyst so the fact I was now out of any prior pain did not play into the fact I've felt so well. One thing I noticed right away was that I wasn't doing the hunched over walk that I'd done after my c-sections. I didn't have that pulling feeling. I have a ton of energy, which combined with not having any pain is making it very difficult to remember I should still be resting most the time.

A couple of weeks ago someone else asked the same question. A lot of women posted there that they found the hyster easier. I may have just been one of the lucky ones. You might want to do a search on the subject.

Best wishes to you for a fast, easy recovery
Cyndi
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM

I am 7 days post-op--TAH. I had both my kids c-section. The surgeries are similar in some ways. But I do agree, not having to take care of an infant is a plus after surgery. At this point, I feel about the same as I did after c-section surgery. The pain level is about the same. It's the pain I was in before hyst. surgery that made things tougher this time. It was bad for several years and had my body really worn down. I don't think I was as healthy going into this one.

Everyone is different. Lots of things to consider. Hope your surgery goes well. Waiting is truly the hardest part!!

Best wishes to you,
Brenda
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:49 PM

I had a c section 10 years ago (almost the same date as the hyster - two days difference!). I found the pain to be much the same, hoever the recovery time is greater (for me) with the hyster.

I guess the amount of surgery is greater, plus I had a vertical incision and, let's be honest, I was 10 years younger!!

I would have the hyster done again in an instant, I feel so much better.

Good luck,

Diana
Unread 04-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Glad you are here

Welcome to this wonderful site. I had a c-section almost 8 years ago and then a SAH/BSO 2-11-02 -- I found the pain from my hysterectomy to be easier than the c-section. I know that all people are different so I can't say exactly what you will experienc. However, having the c-sections does show you somewhat of what to expect with having your abdomen open.
If you get a chance come and join us in chat -- it is a wonderful place full of information and support -- we would love to have you there.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you a speedy recovery.

God bless you

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register