Epidural Experiences? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural Experiences? Epidural Experiences?

Unread 04-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Epidural Experiences?

Hi Sisters - had my pre-admission testing today for surgery on April 19th. My Doc says its okay for me to have an epidural, since I'm really nervous about general anesthesia. YEAH!!! My stress level just went down 100%! Would love to hear from others who have had an epidural, especially any hints for preparation and/or recovery!

This site has been a life-saver, and I've been telling everyone about it. Thanks, sisters, for your love and support.

Blessings - Rev Lin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:38 PM
epidurals for childbirth

I haven't had an epidural for surgery but I had epidurals for 2 of my 3 babies. The experience was mostly very positive. One tricky thing to remember is to lay as flat as you can while it is taking effect. On my first one I must have been lower on the left side a little bit. Which ever side is physically lower gets more of the drug. My right side wasn't numb enough and the left didn't come back to life until 10 hours after the right. That was long enough to make me think it was never coming back but the nurses weren't worried at all and they were right. As for the second epidural, the only problem was the guy had a hard time getting it in the vertabra he wanted it in. He tried several times and then gave up and went one higher and it slipped in easy. I ended up with some significant pain and a softball sized bruise on the first spot he first tried. All and all though I was very happy with it. It was a heck of a lot better than the first baby that went too quick for drugs.

Best of luck to you

Ro
Unread 04-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Question

Hi Rev Lin--

I'm happy for you that your MD is supportive of your anesthesia choice. I'm struggling with my MD about it--she prefers general. Because of bad experience with general, I really don't want general. What type of surgery will you be having--vag ? or ab? I could use all of the info I can get, before seeing her again and the anesthesiologist. Surgery isn't 'til May 8th, so I still have some time to work this out.

Best wishes and prayers for an uncomplicated surgery and a comfortable, speedy recovery!

Beatrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 01:23 PM
Epidural

I highly recommend the epidural, abd of you search for the word epidural, you will find past posts about that type of anesthesia. You could try clicking on my name to find my past posts. Good luck! -Melanie
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Epidural Experiences?

Hi Melanie--

I read some of your previous postings and learned that you had a "spinal + epidural" for your TAH. I'm familiar with each separately, but what are they "combinded" ? What was the reasonsing for using both? advantages over just a spinal?

My MD is concerned that she won't get "adequate muscle relaxation" with anything other than a general. Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beatrix
Unread 04-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Epidural Experiences?

Hi Beatrix -

I'm having an abdominal (TAH with possible BSO) for fibroids and enlarged uterus.

My Dr didn't even blink - just said if that's what I want it's fine with him. Don't know why your Dr is putting up roadblocks, unless it's because of the type of surgery you are having?

Since your surgery is after mine, I'll try to get online as soon as I can and let you know how it went!

Hang in there, dear sister!

Blessings - Rev Lin
Unread 04-15-2002, 04:05 PM
Epidural Experiences?

Thanks for your replies, Ladies. I did do a search on "epidural" on the site and found lots of info that confirmed my choice. I will choose an epidural with sedation, however - I don't think I want to be wide awake for the whole thing!

Blessings - Rev Lin
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Epidural Experiences?

Hello Rev Lin--

Same for me--ab. hys. with poss. BSO (conserving cervix), hx of endo. and fobroids--both successfully treated but an ovarian cyst got me this time.... When I asked MD about anesthesia she said she allows epidural/spinal for lap. procedures and LAVH but not for abdom. procedures. So, it's more "routine practice" for her rather than anything particular to my case.

I specifically requested consult with anesthesiologist, well in advance of my surgery ("not the 2-minutes in the hall while you're on the gurney" routine...). So, I'll be able to discuss my terrible experiences with general anes. and look for alternatives. S/he may be able to discuss/convenience my MD.

Thanks so much for sharing. Do take good care of yourself.

--Beatrix
Unread 04-16-2002, 03:04 AM
Both at the same time

Just thought I would add a bit. I had a general for the op and an epidural was inserted just before me going to OR. The epidural was totally for after op pain management. It was left in for 48 hours post op and was just the best. I have asthma and sleep apnea and my dr recommended this as he wanted me to have the best pain relief.

It WAS the way to fly. If I ever have surgery again (hopefully not), I would do it this way again. I never even knew it was able to be done. This was my first experience with an epidural and was just wonderful. The best part - no throwing up post op at all.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Gail
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:26 AM
To Beatrix

I had both spinal/epidural and loved it. My stress level was also decreased when the anesthesiologist told me the morning of surgery I didn't have to have general. Beatrix I'm suprised! You're dr seems to be doing opposite from others and allows epidural for laporoscopic procedures as usually they are contraindicated because the gas can rise higher than the chest. I would definitely try to talk to the anesthesiologist as it's really his decision to see if maybe you could go that route. You say the dr. is concerned about adequate muscle relaxation. I take it she has never done this before with a patient that had an epidural/spinal. I hope the anesthesiologist may be able to talk to her as it may be even helpful for other patients of hers. Is it possible you could try the spinal and then if she decides during the surgery your muscles are not relaxed then you could get knocked out? At least that way you would already have the catheder in the back (spinal/epidural same pucture site) and could leave it in for post op pain management and not wake up in pain. With the spinal you have no movement whatsoever. I wasn't able to move my toes or feel anything. I was so happy when my surgery was scheduled that it wasn't a lap procedure because I thought "I can get an epidural now" but the nurse and dr. said it was up to the anesthesiologist. If you still can't get that option and have to do general, ask the anesthesiologist about a drug Zofran to prevent nausea and vommiting. My anesthesiologist gave me some in the iv before surgery. You can read my story at this link.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register