I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP! I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP!

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:04 PM
I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP!

Well, I am 1 week away from my surgery date 4/22. I have signed onto this site every day since I found it about a month ago, and cannot thank ALL of you for your wonderful advice and help. But here is my dilemma. I packed my bag for the hospital, but it seems like alot of stuff and I am wondering if I am overpacked- Can you please help me?
Here is my list:
(1)Light Robe-white, knee legnth.
(1)pair of slippers-uh white
(1)cotton nightgown, long but slit on sides
(2 sets) baggy pants with tee shirt
(4 pair)undies-stretchy
Sundries: Toothbrush, Toothpaste,Shampoo,Conditioner,Deoderant,powder,lotion(I am very dry skinned),small makeup bag-I doubt I will use it, but thought just in case,
package of thank-you notes
deck of cards
book

And that is it. The bag felt kind of heavy. Do you think this is too much stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:17 PM
Sounds right

It sounds about like my list. The only thing you have that I might not take is the second set of pants and T-shirt. I think we pretty much stay in hospital clothes until discharge. You will probably still have the clothes you wore the day of surgery for a back up, too.

I'm anxiously awaiting other replies, to add to my list if necessary.

Nancy
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:27 PM

No, not at all that seems just perfect for what you are bringing. That is what I am bringing, thanks for reminding me to bring thank you notes, now that is the only time I will get them done! Oh and I cannot forget my white cotton sports socks, I live in those! If it was winter I would be bringing my wooly socks.

Good luck SMM, I will see you in dreamland that day, I am scheduled also for the 22nd, 9:30 AM.

Archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:30 PM
hmmmmmm

You might also want to take some of the dreaded pads with you.
Both for drainage that may occur....and if a TAH to put along your incision (supposed to make it feel better)

A pillow from home that you can also use as a tummy pillow for the ride home, as well as for coughing, and sneezing.
Hospital pillows are the pits...mine is softer and smells like home!

Chapstick......you're lips will be dry even with all the water you are going to be drinking! Make sure it is not petroleum based as it will interfere with oxygen if you are wearing a mask afterwards.

A lot of the ladies have also said that between dry skin and the meds(some made them itch!)...a backscratcher was they best thing they brought!

Hope this helps.....gonna check to see what's in my bag now!! lol
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:42 PM

Sounds like you are very organized and have things under control. I am 7 days post-op now (tah). I took some hard candy like butterscotch or life savers or lemon drops. Anesthesia makes your mouth very dry for several days. This seems to help. I also took a few cotton balls sprayed with my favorite cologne. I set them out on the second day. Those hospital rooms always have an odor that I don't like. However, you may be verrrrrry sensative to odors and tastes for several days or weeks after surgery. I found it very hard to concentrate on anything for several days, too. I couldn't read anything and could not even watch tv.

But anesthesia afftects everyone a little differently. You may have none of those problems. This was my 5th abdominal surgery so I knew what I would be needing.

I wore hospital gowns til day 3. They are ugly but so much easier for nurses and doctors to check your incision and iv tubes and epidural tubes. Panties were tough. I didn't wear any til I dressed to go home.

Definately keep a couple of pillows in the car for the ride home--one to sit on and one to place over tummy.

If you have very sensitive skin, you may want to ask the dr. to use paper tape on your epidural tubes on your back. I had a bad problem with "tape blisters" from the tape they used.

Hope this helps. I wish you the best.

Brenda
Unread 04-15-2002, 01:00 PM
Suggestions

Hi...I am a light packer, but unless you plan to wear street clothes in the hospital...you only need one outfit to wear home. I was tempted even to wear my robe home. But I didn't.

Also, I was glad I had socks as your feet get cold, and slippers don't work for warmth. I actually wore thongs as my slippers and wore socks for warmth. Definitely something for the lips (they get dry). Like most say, I didn't feel like reading at all, so no books.

And the thing about wearing your own nightgown, I liked being able to put a fresh one on, which is why I chose to wear the ones they give you. Yes, they're ugly, but they are clean. And I didn't want to have laundry when I first got home. I took my little travel clock because when I would awake in the middle of the night, I couldn't see the clock. Also, I took earplugs so I wouldn't be awakened by hall noise (the nurses can be very noisy dealing with emergencies at night).

Hope this helps. It's great to home. Take care.
Unread 04-15-2002, 01:11 PM

Well, you do seem well prepared, however, I think I would lose some of the stuff. Maybe put it in a separate bag and tell DH (or somebody) where it is at home so they can grab it when they come to visit if you find that you want it.

I would take the robe, slippers, nightgown, 1 pair of pants and tshirt, 2 pairs of undies, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion and maybe the cards.

I didn't think that I was overpacking, and I didn't take as much as you. The only things that ever left my bag were my undies, nightgown, chapstick, face wash with cotton balls, hairbrush, deodorant and other medications. (cranberry capsules and blood pressure medication) And of course my tummy pillow - couldn't have done without it.

The nurse put a pair of those socks with rubber treads on the bottom on my feet the first afternoon, and those were good for the hospital.

They gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste in the hospital. (it was in my bathroom waiting for me)

I was out in 2 days and never was up to a shower the first 2 days, so no shampoo or anything like that. I took a book with me too, but my brain wasn't up to the challenge of a book for about a week. It was as much as I could handle to stay awake for a half an hour at a time - the TV was on, but I didn't remember anything that was on. I don't know if I could have even played solitaire. I was just zonked and slept the whole time.

I did have another bag waiting at home in case I wanted DH to grab it and bring me other stuff, but I never needed it.

I guess it can't hurt if you take too much - you can just bring it all home. But looking back, I would take much less next time.

Best Wishes,

Debbie
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:41 AM

Yes, there's stuff you are sure you won't be able to live without and then it never leaves your bag.

I was only there 48 hours after surgery, the day of surgery and most of the next day I slept most of the time. Like Petelope, I couldn't have played solitaire and I know the tv was on but have no idea what was on. I love to read, I read all the time, but I didn't have the concentration to even get through a short magazine article.

I like to take showers and I feel so much better after taking one, but I wasn't up to it until after I got home. Just the short amount of time required to stand at the sink to brush my teeth was about my limit. Walking is different from standing still. I think it takes more effort to stand in one place than it does to walk.
Unread 04-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Thank-You

Hi to All!
Thank-you for posting to my dilemma question-What to pack? So I am revising my list and will re pack tonight
-Ditch the playing cards.
-Take 2 pr. socks.
-Take only 2 pair of panties, ditch the other 2 pair for now.
-Keep the nightie & Robe.
-Ok-so I am not sure about ditching the other pair of loose pats & t-****e. I have a HUGE problem(mental-of course) with wearing the hosp gown or any hosp stuff. I think I will keep the 2 sets of baggies&t-shirts for now.
-Ditch the shampoo & conditioner.
-pack lifesavers.
-take hairbrush.

Anyway, THANK-YOU to all of you- I finally got my appointment time yesterday. Have to be at the castle at 6:00AM-surgery is at 7:30am !
All My Best Wishes to All of you-
Unread 04-16-2002, 06:36 AM

though I am not packing this, I am having my husband bring it in when I'm out of recovery... a 6 pack of bottled water..large bottles.... and maybe some indivdual prune juice if it isn't so accessable at the hosptial.. I know most have some in the floor kitchens but ... ya never know....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register