I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP! I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP!

Unread 04-16-2002, 07:09 AM
I think I am OVERPACKED- HELP!

Don't eat or drink ANYTHING in the hospital without clearing it with your caregivers FIRST. Even water, as harmless as that seems, because quite often they are tracking how much fluid is going in and how much is coming out. And I don't know about all hospitals, but mine gave me stool softeners and a gas reliever on a regular basis, without me asking for it. Make sure to get the ok BEFORE taking the prune juice. I don't think that counts as a clear liquid, and usually until there are intestinal sounds you are on a liquid diet after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 07:29 AM
To Sharon

I would take all that stuff you mentioned ditching and stick it all in a "back up" hospital bag, and place it in an obvious spot for DH (or whoever will be visiting) so that he KNOWS that's "the bag" and you'll feel better packing lightly. You know all you have to do is call him before his next visit to the castle and say "bring the bag" and you'll have your stuff.

Of course, I asked my husband to bring my robe, and he couldn't manage to FIND it (it couldn't be more obvious) and when I asked him to bring my hairbrush, he forgot - thank goodness for my DD - she came to visit me 6 times in 2 days and brought me flowers, balloons, stuffed animals, and anything I asked for.

As far as the hospital gowns, I hate those too, and planned to change to mine ASAP, but found that I just didn't care - I stayed in the hospital ones until the second day. You will probably find that little things you care a whole lot about now will be different for the first few days. I usually can't stand the idea of not showering at least once a day - I went 2 days - and brushing my hair.

Best Wishes.

Debbie
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:02 AM

You might be bleeding a bit after surgery, so white may not be the best color for a robe. Do bring your own nightie or two and your own panties, larger than normal. I doubt you'll be wearing pants at the hospital, but it will make a good discharge outfit. Your husband can bring it though the day of discharge.

Bring sanitary napkins and some pantiliners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:55 AM

Hi,

I took a nightie, a pair of pj pants and a shirt, 2 pads, 3 pairs of panties (various ones as I didn't know what kind of cut I was going to get) chapstick, slipper socks, my own pillow with a t-shirt pillowcase, MP3 player, book and magazine, cards, makeup, hair dryer, shampoo, soap, shower gel, clothes for the trip home, contact stuff.

This is what I used all the time: nightie, a pair of pj pants and a shirt, chapstick, slipper socks, my own pillow with a t-shirt pillowcase, book and magazine, clothes for the trip home, contact stuff.

I was so grateful for the pj bottoms and shirt walking the halls. Once my catheter was out, I was walking and walking.

Hubby and I played cards a few times, but I couldn't concentrate well enough and kept on losing! Ack!

I took a shower the morning after I was released and it was heaven to wash my hair in my own shower with my own stuff.

I did wear a different outfit home as I felt like I wanted to leave the other one with hubby as the past. Silly huh?

I used a pad on my panties for the ride home as I had a horizontal cut and a 45 minute ride home. The seatbelt hit just right. Glad I used it!

Don't forget goodies for the nurses and staff, I had wonderful people checking up on me all the time once I put out the chocolate! And I still chuckle as I remember hearing more than once, "Oh, I really shouldn't" as their hand entered the basket.

Sara
Unread 04-19-2002, 05:29 PM
add one more!!!!

pads!
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:15 PM

KAthy's book has a whole list of good ideas. When I went I really used the following:

1. Creme Saver hard Candies- orange and strawberry for dry mouth.

2. Slipper socks. Took 3 pair. A wonderful, ATTENTIVE, young nurses aid was sooo good to me and had commented on a pair of my socks, I left one for her.

3. A little dish (plastic) of candies for hospital staff and guests. It was a big hit. Left a little note so everyone would know to help themselves if I was asleep , in the potty or otherwise occupied. Left the left-overs to be enjoyed at the nurse's station.

4. Pillow for the car ride home.

5. mini blowdryer-Good thing. I could not have set up long enough for my hair to dry and I didn't want to lie on my bed with wet hair.

6. Short robe for walking around the hospital to help prevent clots and let out the painful .

7. Hyster Sister Note Cards-Even left a thank you for the nursing staff.

Recommendations:
* Hem the gown. You don't want to fall or trip. OUCH!
* Drop 1 pants/shirt
* Magazines, good book, personal cd palyer?

2 pair undies-Most of the time I had nothing under my hospital gown. Dr and nurses preferred that. It was quicker to check me and easier to handle the i.v, catheter, etc...

Read and be prepared. It sound like you are on your way. Let us know what you decide.

Unread 04-20-2002, 07:15 PM
things to pack

Hi, I'm 6 months post op. TAH. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I was back at my office in 4 weeks. I wouldn't take 2 sets of clothes if I were you. TAKE YOUR OWN PILLOW! I was so glad I had my nice soft down pillow. Hosp. pillows are notoriously awful! I had my make up on and my hair up the day after surgery. Looking better makes you feel better. My husband was thrilled and my doc almost fainted when he walked in for rounds the next day. He said he thought he was in the wrong room. lol. If you have a little family picture it's kind of nice to have it with you. Some nice scented hand lotion is nice too. Good luck to you. Email me anytime if you'd like Maggie
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:28 PM

Here's my worth:

If you have sinus problems, bring some saline nasal spray and your own kleenex. Hospital air is dry, and their version of kleenex is like blowing/wiping on sandpaper!!!!! The saline spray helped keep me comfortable and able to breathe through my nose.

I also wrote down phone numbers of people I promised to call when I was up to it (I had asked them not to drop in at the hospital). The list was handy as my brain was running on only 3 cylinders!!!!! I had my Mom call the ones at the top of list as soon as I was out of recovery and in my room.

Good luck to all of you!!!!!!

It is sooooooooooo worth the wait!!
Unread 04-21-2002, 09:54 AM

You definately packed lighter than me...my dad was laughing because my suitcase was so heavy...I didn't use half the stuff I brought...I only used: my robe and slippers of course (did bring a nightgown, but never changed into it), change of undies (the nice knitted ones were not comfortable), some pads (could not get into the HUGE ones they supply you with), my tooth brush and toothpaste, lotion, and chapstick...I had tons of magazines, books, hand held computer game, CD's and player, change of clothes, shampoo, make up, ect....never touched it...I was out in 1 day, but didn't take a shower there and slept most of the time, I was really dizzy and reading made it worse! Sounds like you have the necessities and are prepared...good luck!
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:19 PM
What I needed in the hospital

I way overpacked. I took nearly everything that was on one of the reference lists here. Hospital workers made fun of me, because I had a suitcase and a pillow...I also took a big basket of chocolate and suckers for the nurses...and then I overheard a *****y nurse in my room complaining to my roommate about someone bringing in a bunch of chocolate. I will never suck up like that again!

I was in the hospital a little over 48 hours, and of all the things I too this was all I needed:

Chapstick (you will need this more than anything else)
eye lube drops (I had just had LASIK two weeks before)
face washing stuff
toothbrush and paste
two nightshirts (I kinda wish I had just worn their stuff)
robe
two pairs underwear (they actually had disposable underwear there)
hairbrush
hair scrunchie (I kept my hair in a ponytail on top of my head)
pillows (hospital beds are torture devices)
watch (you can't see the room clock at night w/o a light)
slippers

I didn't need my pads, because they had overnight always with wings for us, but your hospital may not have them.
I could have used the suckers that I brought for myself, but I couldn't get to them when I really needed them (that first day and night). I wore the clothes home that I wore in the morning of my surgery.

My advice is everything you are taking should fit in a tote bag. You will sleep most of the time you are there, anyway...when you aren't walking, eating, or trying to pee.

Good Luck!

Marsha

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register