Home alone afterwards | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home alone afterwards Home alone afterwards

Unread 04-15-2002, 12:54 PM
Home alone afterwards

I am a single mom with 3 kids (7, 8, & 10). The kids will be with their dad for the first two weeks. Is it totally unrealistic to think I can care for myself in the beginning? The doctor said it was fine since the kids won't be there but I am worried about it. I don't have any family in the area. I asked a cousin to come but she couldn't. My 86 year old aunt couldn't come either because she couldn't get out of work! So I am going it alone. I have friends that said they would stop by but I'm thinking I might not want to see anyone. I also have to go back to work at 4 weeks. I have a desk job but is this still expecting too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Home alone afterwards

Hi Ro!

Many women have been alone post op and have been just fine. I think the key is good planning, and having someone designated to stop by once a day to check on you.

You can stock up on snacks and light meals, and freeze stuff ahead of time. Get lots of juice boxes and small water bottles so you don't have to lift anything heavy...keep your plates & glasses on the counter (no bending!) or use paper!!!! Then, no cleanup! If you have pets, either board them or get them used to eating on the counter or table so you don't have to bend to feed/water them. This won't work too well for dogs so if you have one, you'll have to figure that out!

Get yourself one of those long handled grabbers in case you drop anything you need to retrieve, or to get stuff down from up high.

I think you really do need to have someone check on you daily...maybe your work buddies can help you with a schedule for calling to see what you need & then dropping by; or see if a neighbor or someone from your church or synagogue can stop in. If you need groceries, check out one of the online grocery services like peapod.com....they may be in your area.

You can do this!!!

Karen
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi Ro

I agree with KarenL. I think you should try to find someone to come and check on you at least once a day. Otherwise, enjoy the peace and quiet. I know I would. I had a D&C and Lap on Feb 26, 02 (Outpatient). I was surprised at the amount of calls I got within the week, and visits. And of course, in my opinion, pray, pray, pray!!!

God Bless You,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Home alone afterwards

I also do not think it will be that difficult for you. The key is to plan ahead. Think about lifting. I keep my laundry basket on top of my dryer. That way I can put the dirty clothes in the washer piece by piece and then I take then out of the dryer bit by bit. It takes longer but this way there is little or no lifting. You may want to arrange for a friend to rent some movies for you for the second and third weeks. At that point you will be well enought to be bored but still pretty much homebound. I am sure you will do well. I think hardy constitutions must run in your family!!! Your 86 year working aunt sets an example for us all. Good luck and God bless you. Dosi
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Home alone afterwards

Luckily you have a desk job. I am in the same boat. I also have the ability to work from home. I can access the company computer network over the internet. That way I can work sooner and have the ablilty to lay down if I need to. I have had 3 maor belly opening surgeries. I have always went back to work early. The longest I stayed out was three weeks. Everyone is different. Hopefully you have an understanding Boss.
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Home alone afterwards

I think you can take care of yourself at home okay. I would be more concerned about being along in the hospital. That's where I ran into trouble -- no one to advocate for me when the nurses were too busy and when I developed complications. Should have been a minor matter, but I just couldn't get anyone to pay attention to me until it turned into a big deal.

Take phone numbers of people with you to the hospital. If you run into trouble, call them and have them work on the phone to help you out.

Best wishes.
Unread 04-16-2002, 06:15 AM
My 86 year old working aunt

I mentioned that my 86 year Aunt Mary couldn't come help because she couldn't get out of work. She really is an inspiration to everyone. She works at the office and pool at her trailer park. People refer to her as the "lifeguard". You should see her tossing out the trouble makers or kids who don't live in the park. She one tough old broad and proud of it. I guess it comes from growing up in Hell's Kitchen NY in the depression.

Ro
Unread 04-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Home alone afterwards

Except for someone to be there when I took a shower the first few times I would have been ok by myself. Make sure the phone is always within reach so if necessary you can call for help. If you have a cordless phone take it with you when you are walking around (even to the bathroom)

Good luck
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:02 AM
Home alone afterwards

You will need someone to drive you home and pick up prescriptions upon discharge if you need anything for pain. Plan to take a last dose before going home so if the pharmacy is backed up it will give you some time before your next dose is due. Plan to have something as I heard one who didn't think she would need prescription pain killers and then was sorry she didn't get the dr. to write one after home and very sore. Soap on a rope may be a good idea so if you drop a bar you don't have to bend down to get it. Have the shampoo and conditioner at an easy reach ready upon your arrival at home.
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:19 AM
You are not alone

I too will be doing the recovery number by myself for the most part. I will have help for about one day after I leave the Castle.
The one thing I am defiantely planning on is to get all my prescriptions that I will need after given to me at my Pre-Op visit. That way I can get them filled and have them on hand when I get home!
I am fortunate that my oldest DS has a lot of friends (18-21 year range) that have offered to come and check in on me or give theor cell phone numbers just in case I need something.
I love the soap on a rope idea...that's great!
Also if you are a member of a church or club let them know as they may be able to give you a hand.
And there is always hospice (VNA---Visiting Nurses Assoc.)if you can afford it or sometimes it is covered by insurance!!
Sending you big s......

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register