Returning to Normal Activities after surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to Normal Activities after surgery Returning to Normal Activities after surgery

Unread 04-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Returning to Normal Activities after surgery

Hi all,

I am new to the site and must thank everyone for their posts and responses. I have learned quite a bit about what to expect. I am thrilled to have found a site that adds some humor to this stressful topic.

Here is my question. My work requires that I fly :fly:
on a weekly basis (hence my user name). I was wondering whether this will be possible after 6 weeks of recovery time. I have read that bending and lifting are prohibited immediately following surgery, but nothing related to post 6 week recovery time. Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 02:24 PM

Hi there... I think you should have no problems with that.. I, of course, am basing this on how I feel after only 11 days post from a total abdominal hysterectomy.. I feel great and am already doing loads of laundy and dusting and sitting is no problem for me. It did hurt to sit for the first week, but now I find it refreshing and it feels good on my back. It will depend a lot on what you're having done and how much work will go on in there. I have been walking since day 2 and walk for 20 minutes out of every hour and I really feel that it is helping me to get back to normal. You really have to follow you DR's order on the lifting, I know I am, but on other things, just listen to your body, because what one may not be able to do at a week or 2 or 6, others can. We all heal differently, I am just blessed to be healing very quickly. Good luck and God bless!

S!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:34 PM

Hi frequent flyer!

Talk to your doctor about this one, but the best advice my doctor gave me was to use my head and common sense. How you feel will depend on your surgery and you. I had a tvh and I think I could have handled an air trip, but I think I would pace myself before going back to weekly trips. They can be exhausting when you are in the best of health! Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 02:52 PM

Hi Terry. The sisters here are right, you need to get clearance for takeoff from your DR, but it shouldn't be a problem. I had to fly to the opposite coast for a funeral at 5 weeks post and it was OK, just had to be careful not to try to carry any heavy bags. At 6 1/2 weeks I went with DS to Japan for 2 weeks and we managed great. I bet you'll be fine!
Good luck and s,
- Linda
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:52 PM

Flying shouldn't be a problem, the limiting factor is how much you need to carry with you on your trips. At 6 weeks, even if released for normal activity you may not be able to lug around heavy cases. Also, any time change involved or long days? - that might also limit you.

We're all different, I'm planning a full travel schedule at 6 weeks (I'm three and a half now). But I'm also aware that I might feel differently nearer the time and have kept my options open.

Good luck,
Debbie
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:07 PM

Thank you everyone for such a quick response. It is good to hear that returning to my normal flight pattern may not be as difficult as I origionally thought.

I have an appointment with my OBGYN this Thursday to set a surgery date. I'm reviewing online sources and building my list of questions to ask. This site has been a wonderful source for this.

As I understand it now, I have the choice between a total abdominal hysterectomy, leaving the overies or a procedure (I don't remember the name) to remove the fibroids and leave the uterus in tact. I am thinking about the total hyst as I know several people who have had the other procedure and had the fibroids grow back (I don't want to do this twice.) I am 38 and have had many long conversatoins with DH regarding remaining childless and we are both in agreement. So I don't see a reason to keep the uterus. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Am I missing something? Is there a great benefit to trying to keep the uterus?

Also, if you have any recommended questions to ask the Dr, other than those listed on the site, like things you wished you had asked but didn't, I would love to learn from your wisdom.

Terry
:fly:
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Offering my opinion

Hello Frequent Flyer: I just wanted to reply to your question about whether to go for the total hysterectomy now or a Myomectomy. I had my fibroids removed 5 years ago by choosing the hysteroscopic myomectomy procedure. The operation was performed with an instrument inserted into my cervix and the fibroids were shaved down without having to make an incision. I was warned that the fibroids may grow back and the dr was right. Although the surgery was successful and I felt immediate relief, the fibroids grew back faster, larger and in greater number within 3 years. After reading the hystersisters website for the past 3 weeks I finally made my decision for TAH. I found the hystersisters website the most useful of all sites so make it a habit to check in as often as you need to. Only you can make this very important decision and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:01 PM

Hi...another myomectomy veteran here! Mine also grew back with a vengeance...bigger and meaner than before.

For my 2c, if you are not planning on children, one surgery is preferable to two. You can learn more about myomectomy on our Hysterectomy Options & Alternatives forum, or by running search using our search engine.

Regarding your return to normal activities, please remember that the suggested 6 to 8 weeks is a guideline for BEGINNING to resume normal activities. It doesn't mean that on the second day of week 6 you can suddenly lift a suitcase and everything will be ok. Discuss your job activities in detail with your doctor well before that time, and see how you are feeling as you approach the time for returning to work. It's kind of pointless to speculate, because we are all so different and heal at different rates. However, please don't forget that we get ONE chance to heal properly. You should NOT be doing laundry at 11 days post op, no matter how good you feel. Our bodies have been through major trauma, and we need to allow ourselves the time to heal thoroughly. Use common sense, follow your doctor's instructions to the T, and go SLOW. If it hurts, or if it hurts the next day, don't do it....or do less.

Slow, careful, and smart....and you'll be fine!!!!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register