What to wear? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to wear? What to wear?

Unread 04-15-2002, 03:58 PM
What to wear?

This sounds stupid to say aloud, but What do I wear?, to the hospital, after surgery (hate those gowns), and after I get home?

I'm scheduled for 4/23, probably a TAH. What should I take with me? Will I have a sore tummy, in addition to everything else hurting?

How about panties? Am I going to be stuck in muu-muus forever?

I'm sure these questions are mostly goofy worries -- but, hey.

Help!

concrete girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 04:21 PM
Something comfortable!!!

Hi Concrete Girl,

There's currently another discussion going on regarding this topic. If you can find it, you can get some good ideas along these lines.

The best thing to wear is whatever makes you feel comfortable. Since you'll only be wearing "street clothes" for a short time when you go in, you might want to just wear the same outfit home. Something loose, sweat suit, or sundress would be good.

In the hospital, you have your choice of the provided "leave-nothing-ot-the-imagination" designer gown, or bring your own. If you bring your own, it should be loose and preferably short, as long gowns can wrap around your legs and make it difficult to get out of bed or move around in bed. Pajamas might be an option too, but you might want to try the drawstring pants as opposed to the elastic if you are having abdominal surgery. Don't forget a robe to cover up your hospital gown, or you can improvise by asking for a second gown and putting it on backwards over the first one. You'll also need slippers, the type you slip on, not the ones you have to pull on. Soft, warm socks would be great too.

For your homecoming, some ladies just stay in their pajamas, or you can wear the outfit you wore to the hospital. Again, loose and comfortable is the idea.

No, you won't be in muu-muus forever, just long enough to get tired of them. As for panties, the majority of punctured princesses seem to agree on cotton and at least two sizes too large. (Again, if an abdominal surgery.)

Good luck with your big day, and welcome to HysterSisters. There's a lot of good information and support here.

Lisa

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:16 AM
What to wear?

Hi

I wore sweats to the hospital and wore them home also. I lived in sweats for several weeks after (except when I had to leave the house).

You don't really need to take a lot with you, you won't feel like doing much, even trying to watch tv requires too much concentration. I had it on all the time, it was more for the sound than anything. Travel light is my motto.

While in the hospital - until about 24 hours after the surgery you will be wearing one of the hospital gowns. For the next 24 hours or so, until you go home, if you feel you need to wear something other than the gown, you don't want anything longer than knee length.

I never had much pain, and most of the discomfort that I did have was from the incision. After the discomfort stopped I wondered if anything was really done inside, except for the swelly belly it was hard to tell. Four or five days after the surgery I was constipated and that was the worst part of the whole experience.

I was a complete couch potato for about two weeks, then I gradually felt like being up and about more, but even at 4 or 5 weeks I still needed to lay down for a rest in the afternoon.

My uterus was very very enlarged. I didn't buy any larger sized panties, and my regular size never bothered me. I don't wear bikinis, if you do, the elastic will be at the incision site, so you will want to get a different style for a while.

I wore jeans to my 3 week check up, but changed back to my sweats as soon as I got home. I don't remember exactly when I started wearing jeans all the time again, week 5 maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 09:11 AM
What to wear?

I wore flannel pj pants and a T-shirt to the hospital. While at the hospital I wore hospital gowns.....I did bring my own pjs, but the gowns were more practical with the IV and catheter, ect. On the way home I once again wore my flannel pj pants and T-shirt and changed in to regular pjs the minute I walked in the door! Lived in those for the next week and then sweatpants for another two weeks. BTW.....I did get my jeans on at 2-weeks postop......but they were NOT comfortable.....so I put them away for another week
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:24 AM
What to wear?

Hey, Concrete--
I wore a sundress to the hospital, and wore another one home. Only spent one night at the hospital, so their gowns worked fine. At home I wore mostly cotton nightshirts with no underwear-- (unless I was spotting). Comfort is the key-- loose and elastic.
Good luck to you!
Love from Les
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:53 AM
What to wear?

At home, I wore anything comfortable, like larger panties, bra, and a housecoat. Going out, I wore cotton knit shorts and t-shirts. Anything that's easy to get on and off and won't irritate the incision is a plus.
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:13 AM
My List

Hey Concrete Girl...what you wear has more to do with what you like to wear. I had a ab hyst on 4/4/02. I am still wearing the great drawstring pants I bought just for surgery. I went to my gym and they sell the cutest drawstring pants with drawstrings around both waist and legs. They are great and also cute.

I wore the same outfit to and from the hosp. I wore one of my husbands oversize button down shirts. I actually wore the thongs home as I couldn't face the effort to deal with sneakers.

As for the hospital, I wore the gowns issued. They worked fine and you had a clean one whenever you wanted. A nice robe is important to walk the halls. I didn't want to buy slippers, so I wore my thongs (flipflops). As for afterwards, I'm a oversize T-shirt kind of gal....I don't like wearing undies at home anyway, but especially didn't want something rubbing against the incision site. I did go out and buy some oversize undies (found some great "Barely There" brand) that are the softest ever. I am not bleeding at all though, so I definitely got too many.

Here is a list of necessities:
robe
socks (for warmth) couple pairs
toothbrush\paste
hairbrush
earplugs (I'm a lite sleeper)
lip moistener

I'm sure I've forgotten something. You'll get more info from others. Definitely pack lighter than usual.

It's so great when it's over. I can't wait to lose the swelly belly. That and the gas pains are the worst part....the Phazyme and Colace are a MUST !!!!

I wish you the best...see you on the other side......
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:21 AM
What to wear?

Hi Concrete Girl!

Have you checked out the pull-down menus on the main page? Just so you know that's where you will find lists of what to take, expect and all that good stuff. To get there, just click on the 3 princesses in the uppper left corner.

I wore pj bottoms and a shirt in the castle and sweats when I got home. Of course now our weather is in the 90's so I'm wearing pull on shorts and tanks. It's what you are comfy in...something not binding is good!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register