disappointed and relieved | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

disappointed and relieved disappointed and relieved

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:39 PM
disappointed and relieved

Hi all, My surgery was canceled today. It was scheduled for tomorrow at 7:30.a.m. My Dr called and said my blood count was down too low and she did not feel comfortable doing the surgery. She postponed it for 2-3 weeks. She has to build up my blood again. I am glad that she is concerned about the blood transfusions, she said she did not like giving blood unless she had too. She said the size of my uterus made it more likely that I would need a transfusion. I don't want one either.
So I am back to the waiting game (the hardest part I hear).
I was all prepared, had everything together, even drank the magnesium citrated at the appointed time. Hope I am not up all night going to the bathroom. that would be a bummer as I don't have to get up early in the morning.
Well, hope all is well with you all that are going in the castle tomorrow.
Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:42 PM

Dear Grace,

Ugh ... so sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed. That was one of my biggest fears. The waiting is so hard, but if your blood count is low then your Dr is probably right about postponing until your count is higher.

Hang in there, Grace. Just remember that things happen for a reason. There are no coincidences. Two or three weeks from now must be the right time for your hyst, rather than tomorrow. Sending big hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:45 PM

s to you!!!

As Beth said, we have to think that stuff happens for a good reason....so you will be nice and healthy when your time comes.

Hang in there!!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Keep Smiling

Grace,
Bless your Heart. I can't imagine what you might be feeling right now, but just remember everything happens for a reason. You keep your head up and don't worry because, everything will fall in place like it is suppose too. I just wanted to send you a word of encouragment.
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Hi Grace

Sending your way. Sorry for the delay, because waiting really is the hard part.
However, going into the surgery in a stronger and healthier place should make for an easier time and a speedier recovery
In the meantime keep reading and posting.
We will be here while you wait.
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:26 PM
You've got a good attitude...

Grace, sorry about the delay but you sound really positive about it. Good for you!!

I go for my pre-op w/the Dr. and hospital on Wednesday, and am wondering how my blood count will stack up. What kind of numbers did you have, if you don't mind my asking?

Don't know that I've heard what number is too low--

Take care, Grace. You'll be stronger in a few weeks and that's a good thing
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:01 PM

well, my hemoglobin is 10 and my hematocrit is 30. In Jan. when at my well woman exam my numbers were 7.5 and 25. When I saw the OB/GYn in Feb. she told me she wanted to boost my blood up before surgery, She told me if I was to have a wreck and get hurt I would be in trouble because I did not have enough blood . My PCP put me on hematin plus tablets once a day for 30 days. The OB/Gyn said to take two, I did and it really helped my blood. I felt great and all of the symptoms seemed to be gone. When I ran out of the pills the PCP said I had to have blood work done before she would prescribe them again. It was a month before she got back with me to let me know that I needed to stay on them. By then I had had two periods and I knew I needed the pills again by the way I felt. I called her office twice to get the results and finally gave up. Went to pick up the results my self so I could take them to the OB/GYN. The results were hemoglobin was up to 11.8 and hematocrit was 36.3. But after the two periods dropped down to the 10 and 25... OB/GYN was not comfortable doing the surgery so I agreed with her. I am not wanting a blood transfusion either. so will take the pills and see what happens. Hope this helps. Not for sure if there is a number that is too low might just be a Dr preference.... Grace
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Uh Oh

Thanks for the numbers, Grace. I understand the 10 because that's how my blood counts have been given to me.

I'm trying to be calm here, but I go for pre-op Wednesday w/Dr. and the hospital. I've been through the anemia deal enough to know that I'm in the middle of it, without being able to "forcast" the numbers When I went to the Dr. in March after one of "those" periods again, I had even started to break out in bruises. I also get bruises when I try to take Vit. E.--something to do with it's interaction w/Vit. K.

Had taken some Slow-Fe -- couple of weeks? -- but have had another bad period so just wondering what kind of numbers I'll hear Wednesday. Geesh

Thought about it (for at least a couple of seconds) and if my surgery gets cancelled, I'll be darned if I'm going to go ahead and keep working. I am absolutely dragging myself through each and every day. I just really don't feel good. (Yuckky sinus infections haven't helped, either)

Thanks for the info...
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:54 PM

Laura,
Let me know what the Dr says on Wed. I am curious. I know the feeling (tired) just can't seem to get motivated. hope all goes well for you.....Grace

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register