New Here, Big Day is next week | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here, Big Day is next week New Here, Big Day is next week

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:55 PM
New Here, Big Day is next week

Hi there everybody. I am VERY glad to have finally found this site!
My err...I know you all have a term for it...?? Abdominal Hysterectomy is scheduled for Apr. 25. Today, I had a total and COMPLETE meltdown!

I am 32, and am attending Post-Secondary School. I have 3 finals this week, and have to start my bowel prep (citro-mag, liquid diet) the day after my last exam. I also have 4 kids and a messy house that needs tending to before my surgery.

I started getting butterflies in my stomach this morning (due to nerves) and decided that I ought to find an online support group - people that can understand where I am coming from. Finally, I arrived here.

I have read all of the stories, tips and words of assurance. It is really an eye opener! But it also makes me angry - angry that my doctor never spelled out the things that I am to expect post-surgery!

I had to book an appointment with my FAMILY doctor just to get at least partially filled in: drainage hoses, self-medication, possible bladder infections, staples, pain, etc.

I am starting my next semester on May 6.....11 days after surgey. I am now wondering if I can do it -- which is what led me to my melt-down (heck call it what it was - a freak out!). It will be a mild work load, on campus only 3 days a wek and one class online from the comfort of my own home.

My question is this - can I do it? So long as I have medication to manage my pain, do you all think it is feasable? My hubby will be doing all around-the-house chaores, and all I have to concern myself with is myself and my school.

Anyways - it is great to be here and I look forward to learning more. Kudos to you who have already toughed it out- very admirable. Hugs to those who are still going the waiting stage.

If any of you have any comments or advice PLEASE email me! Thanks!
soulful222@shaw.ca.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:18 PM

Soulful,
I am 24 yrs old and am scheduled for a hyst on Friday, April 19th. I am in school as well and when I asked my doctor if should start the next quarter he advised me not too. He said that he didn't think my body would be physically or emotionally ready to sit in class for long periods of time and that it would probably be more harmful for me to start next quarter. So I decided to take the quarter off and rest. I am just telling you this to help you decide what you might want to do. The best thing for you to do is call your doctor and ask him what he thinks is best for you. I hope all goes well and good luck with all of the decisions that you make. Good Luck and Rich Blessings
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:43 PM
Hi Soulful

Sweetie I think that the last post said it all. Call that DR and tell him and see if you should start the next quarter. I don't think that I could have sat in a class room for the length of time of a class period only 11 days after my hyst. I was still creeping around and taking naps. You have a lot of healing to do and besides the meds that will go through your body will still be there for a while. So concentration was not very good for the first 3 weeks or so. I love to read and I found I couldn't even concentrate long enough to read my books. So be sure and ask the DR and do what he tells you. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 08:44 PM
I'm going to school, too...

Hi, Soulful--glad you've found this site. I've gathered tremendous information and a tad bit of confidence now and then that I know I definitely would not otherwise have!!

I'm going to school, too, only one night a week. Our first few sessions had gotten cancelled so I had my first class tonight. The program I'm enrolled in is sequential and if I don't take my classes in order, I will lose out HUGELY, BIG TIME. I've invested too much time and money to do that.

I told the instructor that I would be having surgery 4/29 and that I would try to be there the following week. I won't be at work, DH will be handling household stuff, so I thought surely I could sit for a couple of hours. Well, the instructor was so nice and he said that my health is more important and if I had to miss a couple of classes, he would be glad to help me work something out. Talk about relief.

Since I haven't had my surgery yet, I obviously don't have the answer to your question as to whether you'll be able to do. But, do you think it might be worth a shot to have a go with your instructors, asking them to kind of work w/you about modifying attendance, etc.????

I've read so many posts that say even just sitting is an activity, but I forget how far they've advised a person be in her recovery before doing a lot of sitting. Maybe you could do a "search"?

I wish you the best with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:33 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Soulful! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Glad you found us! It is scary to have major surgery, and very normal to feel a lttle panic! But so many of us have come through a hyst feeling better and healthier. I feel great 9 months after mine, and glad I had it!

The other sisters are right about needing time to recover from an abdominal hyst, and taking 6-8 weeks off. The first couple weeks, you will need to rest with feet up, and take short easy walks only. Your dr will give you specific instructions, but you should be doing no lifting, no bending, no heavy housework (including vacuuming), and no standing for long periods of time for 6-8 weeks. (Also nothing in the vagina until your dr releases you after your 6 week check.) Even sitting upright (like in a classroom) for too long can put pressure on your stitches and healing tissues. After the first couple weeks you can slowly increase your activity, but nothing strenuous! You really need to be a pampered princess for a few weeks, and let others take care of the house, etc. You might be able to sit for class 4 weeks after surgery, but you would have to play it be ear and see how you feel. I know I couldn't concentrate on anything difficult, either, for the first few weeks--the old brain fog!

As far as the pain, it is manageable with pain meds. In the hospital, many patients have the "patient controlled analgesia" (PCA) IV where you can push the button to medicate yourself when needed. Then after the first day or so, you can switch to pain pills. I took my pain pills for about a week after I got home, and after that could switch to Advil, with a pain pill before bed.

Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you have. We'll try to answer them and we'll be here to support you through this journey. If you click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page, you'll find pull-down menus with stories and advice for Ladies in Waiting. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:44 AM

I would think that the fatigue and pain and discomfort of sitting in class all aside, the biggest concern would be the lifting involved in lugging around a backpack (or brief case, or large purse) or whatever it is you would put your school supplies in. You shouldn't be lifting more than 5 lb, so even a large purse is out of the question. And also, driving to class. You usually can't drive for 2 weeks. Definitely talk to your doctor. But if you have a choice, why risk it?
Unread 04-16-2002, 02:00 PM

Hi Soulful!

I am at my 7 week post-op point in recovery and I really don't think that I could have handled anything until this point in time. Sitting in a classroom doesn't sound like it would wear you out, but it will. Both physically and emotionally. I still think when I want to lift something I know is more than 15 pounds, which was on my list of no-no's.

If you are wondering what I would do in your situation is I would ask my doctor. I personally wouldn't take a new semester on. Why? Because you only have one chance to heal right and you don't know what you will feel like after the surgery. You have your hands full with your family it sounds like as well! My hubby helped along with the kiddos, but they soon returned to their lives and he went back to work and I was tired a lot. I rested and kept things really light activity wise. I think that's why I really didn't have any problems during recovery.

I agree with Ruthie, brain fog is right! I couldn't remember why I went into the kitchen or if I had eaten for the first few weeks!

Remember this is just my opinion, I would really ask my doctor about the school schedule. You could pick up the next semester near the end of the summer and have time to really heal!

I hope this doesn't sound preachy, I'm just trying to tell you what I went through recently!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 02:45 PM

Hi there!

I'm so glad you are thinking twice about this.

I agree with the others. School is very important, and if it were me, I would have been very concerned about a few things:

- how would I even get there, since I could not drive for 2 weeks and honestly never felt up to it for 3 weeks, and when I did finally get behind the wheel, I felt scared because I was not as sharp-witted and attentive....

- what happens if I just can't tolerate the sitting?

- will I be able to concentrate on the lecture and on the reading materials?

- what happens if I don't feel up to going and my grades suffer because of my attendance?

- what happens if I am just not as focused or sharp when the quizzes and tests roll around?

- will it be worth it if I don't do as well as I know I can do?

It might be wise to discuss this with your DR as well as your instructors.

Best wishes, sweetie! Do what's best for you and your health.

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register