New to site | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:43 AM
New to site

Hi, I am new to this site. I am 31 years old and having a hysterectomy on May 6th. I have been having problems with my period pretty much since it started when I was 11 years old. My periods are long, heavy and frequent. I have been for the last two years really trying to control things with my doctor's help. I've been on progesterone, about a dozen different kinds of birth control pills, I've had ultrasounds, D&C and hysteroscopy. They can find no reason why I have such a problem but I am anemic due to all the bleeding. I am to the point where I am actually looking forward to my surgery. I have never gone on vacation and not been bleeding for at least part of the week.Of course I am also nervous about what to expect before,during and after surgery (having uterus & ovaries removed) I would love to hear experiences/advice from anyone. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi Kathy

Welcome to Hystersisters. I am so glad you found us.
There is lot's of great information and support here to help you through surgery and recovery. Please check out the pull down menu's on the Home Page. Lot's of great suggestions for both pre and post op.
It is not easy facing surgery. And I am sorry you have had such a rough time of it. However, I think most of us can say we are so happy we had it done and are enjoying life on the other side. It is wonderful to have a life free from bleeding, anemia and ruined vacations. I experienced all of that too. I am 7 weeks post op now and feel great.
I was actually looking forward to the surgery in some ways too. I had been wearing pads and or tampax non-stop for almost 3 months when I had my surgery. That is no way to go through life.
My surgery and recovery went very well. I had a good experience with both the general anesthesia and the morphine pump in the hospital. I was sore of course but did not really have any pain. I needed very few pain meds when I got home.
Make sure you and alot when you get home and you will do just fine.
Keep reading and posting. The more you know the better prepared you will be for a smooth recovery.
Take care.
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:59 AM
New to site

Hi Kathy!

Welcome. I am a fairly new member also. I am having my surgery on May 17. I wanted to wait until after my birthday - which is May 6!!

I am 38 and have been having some similar problems and attempts at solutions. When my MD finally said hysterectomy, I was relieved. I am having an abdominal, but my ovaries are staying.

I have found this site to be the best! Every question I had has been addressed somewhere on this site! Where in Virginia are you? I'm in Maryland, near D.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:20 AM
New to site

Welcome to Hyster Sisters, Kathy!

I can relate to your experiences about vacations...the pain, etc. I have to tell you that the waiting is really the hardest part!

I hope that you will read the pull-downs as Shelley said, I learned tons from them! There is so much information on this site, sometimes it's overwhelming when you are just getting started. It took me a whole week to read everything. Good thing I learned what I could in that week, I had only a week to plan everything!

My surgery was a God-send, I can tell you that at 7 weeks post-op I'm feeling better than I have in years! No more worrying about what to wear or having protection in case I need it. I still remember being in a grocery store and bleeding so badly I had to take a pack of tampons and pads to the bathroom when I was shopping. I'm so glad that is over forever!

If you have questions or concerns feel free to email me anytime.

s

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register