Sometimes I wonder... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sometimes I wonder... Sometimes I wonder...

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Sometimes I wonder...

Am I doing the right thing, having this surgery?

I read the horror stories a lot of you ladies have gone through with painful periods, cancer scares, endometriosis, etc. I haven't experienced any of that, thank God. My problem with the excessive bleeding from the fibroids hasn't been long term; it basically just started in December. Maybe the whole problem is the Provera I'm taking to regulate my period. Maybe it's not the fault of the fibroids at all!

Since I'm not currently having a period (next one due in six days, oh how I dread it!), and I'm getting my strength back from my last bout with anemia, I feel okay - about 85% back to normal. I'm able to walk almost my mile a day I was doing a few months ago, and I'm not as weak. I wonder a hundred times a day if I'm doing the right thing. If I've explored all of my options. If I'm nuts!

But then again, I remember the horrible hemorrhaging, the weakness, the shortness of breath when I even try to walk a few feet. I remember sitting on the bathroom floor, crying because the bleeding wouldn't stop. I remember my half-serious thoughts of self-hysterectomy! I just can't go through all of that again!!

I'm 39 years old. I don't plan on having any more children, since my three are all grown and I have two grandchildren. Why would I want to keep my uterus anyway? It's not like I need it or anything.

I don't know. Guess I'm just getting cold feet. And I'm still over a month away from surgery. Sheesh, I'll be a basket case by the time May 23 gets here.

Has anyone else waivered back and forth on this issue, or is it just me.

Thanks,

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:27 AM
I know where you're coming from

Lisa,

I was glad to see your post. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Although I have had horrible periods for years . . . when I'm not on my period, I'm feeling pretty good.

If you are at all unsure, please get another opinion. Read everything you can on this site and elsewhere (although this place is the best).

When I first started reading the boards here, I thought maybe I didn't need the surgery afterall, as plenty of women have it worse than I do, but as I kept reading, I realized that there is a wiiiiiiide range of situations.

My period is due in about a week (maybe the last one for me) and I have already started feeling PMS symptoms. Each one seems to be a little worse, so next week will confirm that I have made the right decision.

My surgery is May 24 and while I hate the waiting, I am learning so much more about what to expect before, during and after the surgery, so I'm comfortable with my date. I can come to terms with everything in my own sweet time.

Please don't make a decision you will regret later. Our prayers are with you.

Nancy
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Hi Sashi

You sound perfectly normal to me. I think we have all wondered if the surgery was the way to go at times and looked for ways to avoid it. Who wouldn't want an easier way to deal with this.
This is major surgery afterall. There is no going back. Although I don't think many of us would want to. Actually I have never heard from even one person who really needed this hysterectomy that has said they would go back. Who would want to go back to bleeding, pain, anemia, PMS, etc., when it is behind you?

However with that said, please make sure you are making the right decision for YOU. Explore all of your options and seek a 2nd or 3rd opinon if you haven't already done so. You should go into this with complete peace of mind that it is the right decision. Also, if you haven't seen this it is the link to the Options and Alternatives forum:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=4
It sounds like you are feeling better so if you want to take more take to explore your options then do so. Just check with your doctor.
Let us know how you are doing. And keep asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:38 AM
Sometimes I wonder...

Hiya Lisa!

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

You are totally normal with your feelings about the surgery. I had 4 opinions from 4 different doctors before I felt comfortable about the surgery. Now I'm a and soon you will be one also!

I'm 37 and I have never regretted the surgery. The only time I didn't like what I was doing was when I was doing the bowel prep the night before. Hubby talked me through that and from then on it's been wonderful!

Read the pull-downs and devour the information on the site, there is a ton of it here!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Ladies!

When I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago for the anemia and shortness of breath, the ER doctor recommended a hysterectomy. Then the admitting doctor recommended a hysterectomy. The cardiac doctor also recommended a hysterectomy, as well as the GYN on call at my doctor's office. When I got out of the hospital and talked to my GYN, he also agreed that I should have a hysterectomy.

In addition to these five doctors, two of my ER nurses also said that they had seen ladies come in to the ER as I did, bleeding profusely and that the doctors always tried hormones to control the problem, but that it never worked and most ended up with a hysterectomy. The scheduling nurse at my GYN's office also said it would be the best thing.

So I guess I DO need the surgery. And I really DO want the surgery. I'm afraid I'll keep trying other treatments, and just end up having to go through this anyway. I think I just get scared sometimes. I've never had major surgery before, and my last trip to the hospital was a nightmare experience. I'm sure next week, when my LAST (I like saying that) period starts and if it progresses as it has in recent months, I'll be back to begging for a hysterectomy.

I've learned so much here at HysterSisters, and I very much appreciate all of you ladies.

Thanks for listening. I'm just a 'fraidy cat with a panic attack!

Lisa

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Sometimes I wonder...

to you! We are always here to listen and I don't think you are a 'fraidy cat, I think you are human. It's normal, belive me!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:30 PM
HEM AND HAW

Well i did just that for three years ... i scanned myself( i am an ultrasound Tech) i watched them grow and change...i finally got pregnant the first time when i was 35years old( my two fibroids were 1cm each) as soon as the baby started growing the fibroids did too. I had about 3 visists to labor and Delivery during my pregnancy due to the fibroids. The fibroids were 10 and 8 cm. They were causing my uterus to be inflamed, there was even a point in time where i didnt know if the blood supply to the fibroids would exceed the babys blood supply need.. It was an awful experience , i was put on dilotted and anti-inflammatory drugs.. i was miserably.. My uterus would contract during the pregnancy like it suppose to do to get ready for the birth, and every time the uterus contracted the fibroids did and they poked out of my tummy resembling the baby's head.. i couldnt wait to give birth and then have a hysterectomy. Madeline was born 2-1999, and of course i was immediatley put on BCP'S and the bleeding got so bad i couldnt get out of bed, thought i was dying, and here i had this beautiful baby to take care of too.. So i opted to go of the BCP's and see if the bleeding would slow down , it did. one year later the problems started up again i saw another doctor she put me on a different type of BCP'S and the bleeding got a little better for a short period of time.. At one point i got on the internet and read everything i could about fibroids and their etiology. somehow i guess i read that hormones even synthetic ones found in some meat could cause fibroids to grow, so i stopped eating meat completely except fish for 10 months.. I measured the fibroids at intervals and they never shrunk. i dont know what i was thinking, not eating meat would help.. lol lol lol lol.. WEll my TAHBSO was 6 weeks ago and i am so glad i didint wait any longer... i am a much happier person , no pain , no major clotting or bleeding and i dont have to take handfuls of extra strength tylenol and ibuprofen everymonth....Figured if i didint do something soon i would have liver damage due to all the over the counter crap i was taking every month...It was affecting my job and my entire quality of life..When you start planning your vacation around your period, there is something wrong with that picture.. All in all you could say i exhausted my options , and i exhausted myself in the process.. i am doing great now a little more tired after work , but no pain on the incision and no other problems .. i went back to work 4 wks post operatively, i work 25 hours a week, but ther are intense hours and i do push a large machine around occasionally to do emergent ultrasounds in the ICU... i know that if this is what you really need for yourslef you will come to that conclusion eventually, some of us just take a while to reach it. (3 long grueling years for me , my daughter just turned 3 :-D) Take care and God bless always!!!!
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:31 PM
I did the same thing...

Hey Sashi,

I did the same thing you did. I wanted to really think about this. But you know what I did? I came up with the same conclusion you did. I am 39 years old, I am not planning on having anymore children, what do I need the Uterus for? Of course, another factor for me is, it is getting close to summer time and it would be nice not to have to cancel an outing or going to the beach because I am bleeding like a waterfall, and I can wear shorts all the time. If I had a dollar for everytime I had to turn down an invitation or cancel plans for an occasion, I would have my house paid off.

Anyway, I hope this helps, take care and God Bless you.

Your Hystersister
Unread 04-16-2002, 01:51 PM
Sometimes I wonder...

Hi Lisa,

I think it's very normal to waiver about your decision to have a hysterectomy. I've been there too. I had huge fibroids and heavy bleeding. Last fall I knew that it was time to do something as the pelvic pain, bloating, urinary frequency, etc. were all affecting the quality of my life.

My Dr. discussed my options with me, including myomyectomy, UAE and hyst. I did alot of research on my own. It's really a tough decision. Everyone is different. But ultimately, you have to decide what is best for you.

If you are not sure that a hyst is right for you, I hope you'll do some more research about fibroids and other treatment options. On www.yahoo.com there are a couple of group sites for women who have fibroids. One is the "uterine fibroids" group and the other is the "embo" group (short for uterine artery embolization). These women can address other treatment options besides hyst. Of course the type of fibroids you have is a factor in the treatment options that are available to you. I also have read that Provera can increase your bleeding during your period. Again everyone is different. Some more to think about.

Anyway we're all here for support. You probably have all kinds of questions, so feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:20 PM
Sometimes I wonder...

Lisa, being scared and having doubts is perfectly normal. I felt much as you do before my surgery, but I'm very glad I did it.

My only problem was severe cramps 1-3 days a month. No anemia, excessive bleeding, cancer, adhesions, etc. I felt like a wimp for taking this route when it seemed other women had it much worse than I did. I wondered if maybe there were other options I could try.

The truth is there is always another option you can try. Crystal healing, macrobiotic diet, moving to a Tibetan monastery, whatever. What I finally had to come to terms with was that I had exhausted every *reasonable* option, and that I was willing to let go of the idea that trying something outlandish would be my miracle cure. (Bear in mind that I'm into alternative medicine and tried lots of alternative stuff like acupuncture, homeopathics, & yoga.)

I suggest you write down all the reasons you're considering a hyst. Make them detailed and explicit. Put that piece of paper somewhere you can find it again. And when you have doubts, pull it out and read it over. I did something like that during my last nasty pre-op period, and it helped a lot. My biggest pre-op fear was that I would talk myself out of the surgery, when I knew in my heart it was the right choice for me.

It's easy to downplay your problems when they're chronic but not constant. The real question is -- are the odds good that having a hyst will drastically improve your life? I'm 5 weeks post-op, and it's becoming clearer and clearer to me that this was the only reasonable option for me. My body was run down from monthly pain. I needed it to stop so I could live a life with fewer limits.

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register