pre-op - overies | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op - overies pre-op - overies

Unread 04-16-2002, 12:59 PM
pre-op - overies

Hi there, I am looking for some advice, having my op on may 3rd, but not sure whether or not to have overies removed, have had ongoing problems with fybroids and really bad periods, reason for op, but consultant said overies were my choice, really confused - fell started peri-menopause - just do not know what to do, and feeling really down about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:35 PM
pre-op - overies

Hi Helen,

Keeping or removing your ovaries is really a personal choice. I can only offer you support for your decision! No one can make it for you.

I too had to make a decision on whether to keep mine or not. I thought about it, read, talked to family before I made my decision. I decided to keep mine unless there was diseases or the doctors thought they should be removed. My age had a lot to do with that decision.

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page? Just click on the 3 princesses on the upper left and you will be taken to the main page. I read and read this site before coming to the decision.

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 02:05 PM
pre-op - overies

You will hear lots of pros and cons. It depends on lots of factors. If you are experiencing perimenopausal symptoms NOW, it's not going to get better. Consider whether or not you want to go through menopause naturally (if you keep the ovaries you will still have the hot flashes, etc.)

I'm 44, exper. perimenopause for two years and family history of ovarian/uterine/breast cancer so I chose to have them removed. As it turned out they were atrophied and I would have gone through menopause within a few months anyway. Good decision for me. And no, they could not tell they were atrophied on the ultrasound. They only noticed that after they cut me open.

I'm now 6 months post-op, on HRT, and never felt better!! I would do it again in a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Ovary anyone?

Dear Helen,

New research indicates that even old ovaries may have beneficial effects--like continuing to release small amounts of estrogen. A friend of my family went through natural menopause years ago and was never troubled with hot flashes. After her ovaries were removed last year (due to a benign tumor) she has been very uncomfortable from them (hot flashes). Worried about the side effects, she declined HRT.

Science has also disproved the old belief that menopause happens when the ovaries run out of eggs. Autopsies of elderly women reveal they still have many.

As one who was quite happy with my mental state pre-hyst., I worried about becoming weepy or menopausal without ovaries-- especially since I can't take HRT due to a past adventure with cancer. I was thrilled to be able to keep a good ovary (and glad to lose a bad one). So far, I'm feeling better than ever--mentally and physically.

"To keep, or not to keep," has a different answer for each Sister, depending on the specific circumstances & problems unique to each individual. Feelings weigh very heavily in the equation. Some women & doctors feel that their ovaries are ticking cancer timebombs. Other women & doctors believing, "Don't fix what's not broke," hesitate to remove healthy organs that might be contributing to one's overall wellbeing.

Good luck with this very personal decision.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register