Please tell me- how bad is this going to be? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please tell me- how bad is this going to be? Please tell me- how bad is this going to be?

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Please tell me- how bad is this going to be?

I am starting to get very nervous about the length of recovery, to say nothing of bowel clean-outs, drainage hoses, etc. that I am reading about here. I had a c-section with my first pregnancy 10 years ago. I had severe pre-eclampsia and was up and out of bed the very next day, home the day after that, and able to walk around and 'kind of' function at home (of course I couldn't drive for two weeks) and I thought that a hysterectomy wouldn't be much worse than that. Now I wonder. I know that I need the surgery because I can't go on as I am. I had a D&C and hysterscope 64 days ago and have been bleeding for 47 of those 64 days. Nothing showed up in the D&C or hysterscope so dr. has no idea why I bleed so much. Periods are incredibly painful and heavy and I am anemic from it and soooo tired all of the time. Please tell me what to expect before and after. I'm really getting scared now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:21 PM

Kathy!

I'm glad you have been reading and learning, but don't let everyone's various experiences get you too nervous! Everyone is different. Every recovery is different as well. Have you read the pull-down menus yet? You can find them on the main page of the site. Just click on the 3 princesses up there in the upper left corner and you will be on the main page.

Have you talked with your doctor about your concerns? He should be able to put your mind at ease about everything you are wondering about. I went into my pre-op with tons of questions and I received answers to each one.

As far as pre-op prep, I know that I had to drink a bowel-prep, not the best experience I have ever had...not the worst though! I had 2 c-sections as well as a tubal c-section.

Everyone is different in recovering, remember this is major surgery. Keep a postitive attitude, ask a million questions and relax, it will be okay...we'll be here for you up to the day of your surgery and we'll be waiting for you with brownies after you are crowned a

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 01:51 PM

Hi, I'm 3 weeks post op. I had a TAH/BSO with a ton of scar tissue removed (from a c-section 19 yrs ago). I was in surgery for just under an hour, and in the recovery room for about an hour. The castle staff was very good about keeping me comfortable. My surgery was at 12:30 and I was up walking about 8 hours later. Granted...I didn't walk far, but it was a start. The catheter was removed first thing the next morning, which meant regular potty runs. I was also walking the halls a lot more. My biggest complaint was the gas pains...walking helped those tremendously. I was at the castle for right at 48 hours. I came home with an Rx for 20 Percoset. I was petrified that that would not be enough. Each day has been a little better that the day before, enough of an improvement to actually be noticed. I still haven't run out of my initial Rx. For the most part I am no longer taking anything during the day. At night I sometimes take a couple of Tylenol PM. I still move a bit slower than usual and I'm doing nothing at all except resting. I have an excellent DH and DS that are tending to everything. If I didn't have them then my recovery would probably be a bit different. I hope that all goes well for you.

Darla
TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 02:01 PM

Everyone is different. But, your c-section experience sounds a lot like mine. This is a bit more intensive (they are removing an organ this time;...and one that is attached to some ligaments), but not too much more so. More than anything, the recovery takes longer, but is no more painful than a c-section is the first week and you will be a little more tired than with the c-section.

One thing that virtually every women has said on this website is that they were really glad they had it done and would do it again in a New York minute!!
Unread 04-16-2002, 02:06 PM

Sounds like you did what I did, Darla, walking is great!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 03:18 PM

hi! i just wanted to say that i actually felt better 3 days post op than i have in 1 1/2 years.here's what i did. the day before surgery i had lots of soup for lunch and dinner and only water.i knew it was good to be hydrated. i started taking 2 colace the night before surgery which would soften any stool that would follow. i also opted not to have all those sedative type drugs they give you before surgery, i was not scared of anything going wrong. i put myself in God's hands and i really trusted my dr.. i woke up within 30 minutes after surgery and was able to communicate well with my nurses and my dr.. i never got sick to my stomach, i had no pain[had an epidral for 48 hrs.] and i was hungry! the next morning they removed catheter and i walked up and down the halls every couple of hours. its been almost 7 weeks post-op now and its the very best thing that i ever did for myself! for me it was very informative to hear so many stories with all different results. i knew that there were lots of things that could happen,but i wasn't going to stress over things that had not happened.i love this website, i learned so much from the women here who have shared their experiences.mine was a good one! pam!
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:41 PM

I had complications after surgery, but as far as my female troubles go, I feel better already (5 weeks).

Recovery wasn't bad except for the complications and my nurses and doctor just didn't take my complaints seriously until it was too late.

My day nurse was such a sweetie! She was so kind and patient and helped me sit up for the first time and take a shower for the first time. Those were big steps. She was from Nigeria, and I've been there, so we had a little bit to talk about too.

From what you describe, it sounds like you couldn't possibly feel any worse than you do now.
Unread 04-16-2002, 06:20 PM

Drainage hose??? Do you mean the catheter? Or something else? If it's something else, please let me know! This is the first I've read about drainage hose--oh, geesh, please don't tell me that for some reason I would need something like that!!
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:04 PM

Jeannie, I don't know what the drainage tube that is referred to in this thread means, but don't worry. I had a catheter in place when I awoke in recovery and it remained until the next morning. I was asleep when it was inserted and it didn't hurt being removed.

If you have any concerns talk to your doctor or better yet, talk to the nurse when you have your pre-admission testing.

Most of the ladies here had no problems with the catheter.
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Not so bad

Hello...I am just 12 days post op...had an ab hyst (kept cervix and ovaries). The only unpleasant part for me in the recovery was the immediate and sustained nausea right out of surgery. I had a general (I always have nausea after a general). I used a drip in my IV and I did push it alot in the beginning, but the nausea was the worst part. I actually stopped using the drip (BIG MISTAKE) because although the nausea was uncomfortable, I had a HUGE bout of pain because I went without the drip for 13 hours. I made the mistake of not shifting positions in bed before I could walk, and not using the breathing machine. Very important to strengthen lungs and moving eases the onset of gas pains.

Beyond that, the catheter...no big deal....I asked for the IV to be taken out which meant that any pain stuff had to be shots in the hip...not so bad. Stayed 3 1/2 days in hosp....at home the only bad part was the gas pains. Really. It's hard to get comfortable at first, but I started taking outdoor walks 7 days out. Can now take pretty long, VERY SLOW walks. That's my story. I was so scared...and it wasn't that bad. I learned to be assertive at the hospital about what I wanted and didn't want. It's just so scary when you don't know what to expect. That is why I read everything I could on this site. And asked questions, and went to sites that had pictures (very helpful).

I hope this helps you. It's great when it's over. You'll be so glad. See you on the other side. Take care.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register