Fibroids and Hormones and Abnormal Periods | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and Hormones and Abnormal Periods Fibroids and Hormones and Abnormal Periods

Unread 04-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Fibroids and Hormones and Abnormal Periods

I have a rather off-topic question, which I know I probably should ask my GYN and which I will if I can remember to. (My memory has gone to pot lately.)

I was doing fine, even with the fibroids which were discovered in 1998, until I started taking Estroven back last fall. (I was having pre-menopausal symptoms and thought that would help.) I took it for a few months, then suddenly in December, had no period at all. When it started in January, it went on for two months and was very heavy. Since I'm now taking Provera to regulate my periods, they have still been very heavy and go on for weeks.

My question is, could the Estroven have caused the irregularity in my periods. Could it have also caused the fibroids to grow. I can tell they are much larger, because my uterus is now even with the bottom of my belly button. (I can feel it when I'm lying on my back.)

Thanks,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Fibroids & Hormones

Hi!, I'm not a Dr. and don't give medical advice. But in my experience, I have been taking Ortho Prefest for over a year for menopausel symtoms. Works great, but my fibroids & uterus have doubled in the last year. And I'm post menopausel. So be sure to ask your Dr. about this. Now I too can feel my uterus at my bellybutton. So the Dr. has recommended a TAH/BSO for me. Not decided yet if or when. I don't think I want to try going off the hormones. The Dr. said my symtoms would come back for sure and probably worse than before. YUK!!
Nola

"Rejoice in the LORD always"
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:24 PM

I am not sure what estroven has in it but I can tell you that estrogen makes fibroids grow. So it could have contributed to the problem. Your fibroids are probably now causing your irregular periods. So don't use any estrogen products without talking to your gyn. Wishing you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 05:34 PM

Hi,

I was taking Remifemin as a herbal for peri-menopause as I was told by a doctor that was what my problem was with my periods, or rather lack of periods. She totally mis-diagnosed me, but that's another story!

When I was put on Prempro this past year, for a few months, to try and regulate my periods I started bleeding really heavily, for 3 out of 4 weeks!

I asked my surgeons before the surgery about herbals. Not only do they thin the blood, but they don't really know what impact they have on a person.

Please, please, talk to your doctor about herbals. I thought I was doing something good for my body by not taking "drugs" when in fact, I could have made something worse. They don't know!

This is just my opinion.

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register