Pampering the Day Before | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pampering the Day Before Pampering the Day Before

Unread 04-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Pampering the Day Before

My surgery is 4/24 and I've made a hair appt for 2:30 and a manicure/pedicure for 6:00 pm the day before...now I read about bowel prep! My doc appt is 4/19 and I'm sure he will tell me but I'm leaving for 4 days at the beach right after doc appt and need to know now if I should reschedule my "pampering" appts. I really wanted to look nice for my surgery!! :confuse:

Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Pampering the Day Before

It must be different in the US, I didn't have any bowel prep. The US sisters will have to advise you on this point.

I think pampering is a definite part of the pre op preparations - makes you feel good and takes your mind off things.

Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your time at the beach.

Diana
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Pampering the Day Before

I live in the US and had no bowel prep either. Will depend on your doc. Perhaps best to call his nurse now and ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Pampering the Day Before

Hi,

I was going to get my hair cut and colored the weekend between finding out that I had to have surgery and the surgery. I came home and cancelled the appt. as I decided to have the pampering afterwards. I'm at 7 weeks tomorrow and this weekend I'm having my pampering done!

It really didn't bother me whether I had my hair cut and colored when I was in the hosptial, I just wanted to get healed enough to leave!

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will feel better after the surgery!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Pampering the Day Before

I had no bowel prep either. Do what YOU want to do! Everyone is different.I had my hair done before I went in. I did not want my hair to look bad!!!!!!!!!Plus It made me feel good before I went in and sometimes you need that!I did wait to have my nails done till I got home! 1 week post op my husband drove me there and waited for me. This guy has been doing my nails for a long time. He newI had surgery. He was very understanding!!!!!!!!! So........You said something about the beach.................Have a great time. I am 2 weeks post op and sat outside with a book and the radio and enjoyed the sunshine!!!!!!!!!Good luck!!!!!!!Angela
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Pampering the Day Before

Just went in for pre-op appt, and found out about the bowel prep thing - its routine here. You can opt for an enema, or a laxative drink - apparently the drink (which I'm drinking) takes a good 12 hours to clean you out - basically its diarrhoea all the way. The pre-op nurse said don't take it any later than noon so you can get some sleep that night. I've taken a half day off work.

I'll be pampering myself at home - hot baths, pedicures, understanding girlfriends for cake and tea . . . Hope you find you way to make yourself fit to be a Princess - maybe a quick shopping trip in the am to mall?

Andi Mc
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:21 PM
the prep

I'm in my prep mode now, I need to check in to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. on Thursday. I have been on a liquid diet all day and will continue on tomorrow and then drink the stuff that will clean me out at noon along with some antibiotics. I'v had it before and it's really not that bad. Someone gave me a good idea to purge and clean everything mentally while I'm doing it physically. I'm taking tomorrow off to run last minute errands maybe take a walk on the beach and back by noon to do my thing. Take my time to pack my bag, smell my roses and maybe even weed them a bit.

Got my manicure and pedicure last weekend as well as the gray out of my hair. Was not sure when I would be up to getting these things done.

This week has not been as bad as the waiting anxiety I had last week. Now I'm just hungry. Oh yeah and guess what; started my period almost a week early; it just had to come one more time but will be gone by surgery and then of course forever.

Something the pre op nurse told me was to shower with antibacterial soap the morning before the surgery.
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:09 AM
Pampering the Day Before

Nail polish is quite often on the list of no no's for surgery. Some sisters say they were allowed polish others no. I was one of those whose hospital forbids any nail polish. They use a clip thing on the tip of your finger to measure oxygen levels in your blood.

Just my own personal opinion: I went to the hospital for surgery, looking good for the short amount of time I was going to be there was not a high priority to me. I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them there is a problem than I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

There is plenty of time after coming home for nail polish.
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Pampering the Day Before

bbg~I had my period the day of surgery. Was nice to have no worries after surgery about that! I think it's common, brought on by the stress maybe?

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:28 AM
Pampering the Day Before

Definitely check out the nail polish issue before getting a manicure. My hospital's policy was that polish on toes is OK, but no fingernail polish is allowed.

As for hair, I got mine cut the weekend before surgery. I figured it would make it easier to deal with following surgery, which it did. (Living where "the wind comes sweeping down the plains" creates a host of bad hair days so I need all the help I can get!) I also wasn't sure I would feel like leaning back in a chair to have my hair washed after the surgery. It probably wouldn't have been a problem for a TVH, but I didn't want to take a chance. I'm also single, so I also would have had to find someone to take me the hairdresser, so it just made more sense to have it done beforehand.

Bowel prep usually depends on the doctor's policy, so you might call and ask the nurse about that. If it's the stuff you drink, that would probably interfere with your appointments. If it's an enema before bed, it won't be a problem. And you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to do either one!

Good luck with your surgery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register