To keep ovaries or not? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep ovaries or not? To keep ovaries or not?

Unread 04-16-2002, 02:44 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

I am in the process of deciding whether to keep my ovaries or not. I realize that if I have them removed, I will have to take HRT immediately. I will be 45 in August. If I leave them, I may or may not progress naturally into menopause (I have been suffering from perimenopausal symptoms for a couple of years) at which time I will need HRT?? I am confused as to why I would leave them. I think I am missing something in the understanding here! Would appreciate any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:34 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

Hi KTR,

Join the crowd. I will be 45 in August and will be 5 days behind you for surgery. I have been back and forth so many times. Initially I was convinced I wanted them out. No ovarian cancer risk. Then I decided I wanted to keep them. I didn't want to go into surgical menopause. But... I am aready going into natural menopause and to be honest if I were not waiting for surgery, I would probably be asking my Dr. about HRT now for some of the symptoms that I have just now in all of my reading here put together as being perimenapausal. So, if I have to go onto them anyway, why not get rid of the cancer risk.

So.... that is where I am at today. TAH/BSO. Who knows where I will be tomorrow. It is a personal choice. For me, with a family history of cancer (including breast cancer, which is one of my biggest concerns about HRT), I will get rid of the risk of ovarian cancer and have both ovaries removed.

Keep reading, I am sure you wil also change your mind a few times. There is lots of great info and advice here. But when it comes right down to it, you have to do what is right for you.

Caren
Unread 04-16-2002, 03:46 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

Hi ktr!
Assuming there is no medical reason for removing them or threats to your health, my choice was to keep them. I was like you, 45 and experiencing some peri menopausal symptoms. My ovaries are healthy and I wanted to benefit from my natural hormones as long as possible. HRT may or may not be a route you go when you go through natural menopause. It is not inevitable. I am not against HRT, but wanted you to know this. Also, you should know that even post menopause, your ovaries will continue to produce low levels of hormones that are of benefit to you. There you go...more fodder to make a difficult decision even more so...but best to make an informed one! All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:57 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

Hi,

I'm 37 and decided to keep my ovaries unless there was a problem with them that they could see. My mom was in her late 50's when she started menopause so I figure I have about 20 years with them still. Even just one ovary produces enough hormones before and during menopause.

It's a tough decision no matter what your age is and it's totally up to you. I wish you luck with your choice!

Sara
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:16 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

I sure wish there was a definitive answer to this problem. Evidently, it is one that many women struggle with when facing a hysterectomy. At this moment, we are leaving this up to the doctor to determine at the time of surgery but I dislike the thought of not knowing what female organs I may or may not wake up with!!! Would love more input!
Karen
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:47 PM
To keep ovaries or not?

I went back and forth, too. A friend suggested having the ovaries out. She said once I'd heard the "c" word (and I had) that I would always have a nagging worry if I left them.

I'm 49 and have been peri-menopausal for several years. I figured my ovaries were gonna conk out pretty soon anyway. I haven't had any kids, but I came to terms with that a few years ago.

So out they went. I'm on the patch and it has been working fine. And my friend was right -- I feel relieved now that what they got was precancerous, and that I'll never have to worry about cancer there again.

How old are you? Kids?
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:40 AM
To keep ovaries or not?

Karen, I too was really uncomfy not knowing what I had left inside me! So, I told hubby when he called everyone that he could just tell them that I was in recovery. I didn't want anyone knowing before me what they had done! When I woke up in my room, the surgeon came in and told me that my ovaries were *pristine* and my uterus and cervix were removed. Then, I was surprised as I had told myself that everything was going to be removed, preparing myself for the worst. I was so relieved to hear that I had my ovaries! So I can totally relate to what you are saying!!

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:59 AM
To keep ovaries or not?

I was in the same situation. (including the fact that I'll be 45 in Aug.). My mom went through menopause at 54. However, I chose to take it all with cancer in my family history. Even though my right ovary looked fine on the ultrasound, it was atrophied and I would have gone through menopause naturally in a few months anyway. Your mother's history isn't any guanantee. In fact, my older sister went through it at 42 and my younger one is close to it at 43.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register