Lots and lots of questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots and lots of questions Lots and lots of questions

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:09 PM
Lots and lots of questions

I have so many q's I'm not sure whare to start. I'm sure some are down right crazy, but I'm gonna ask anyway. First, how big exactly is this swelly belly thing? I already have a pooch from other surgeries and adhesions, how much bigger will it get? Second, what's this I hear about BIG panties? How BIG?How long does dischagre last?And sex: Some say theirs got better, but what about from a man's perspective? Does it feel different to them? And if it did, would they dare mention it?How long till your able to shave your legs? Should I wear sweats or shorts? HHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 03:31 PM

Hi Shaw!

This is the place to ask all kinds of questions! I am not sure I can answer them all, but other ladies will be by to answer too. My first question for you is what type of surgery are you having? Abdominal or vaginal? Some of the answers will be different depending on that! I can only speak to having a TVH.

1) Swelly Belly was minimal...I was able to wear my jeans home, but they were uncomfortable...this lasted about 1 week.
2) The big panties are mentioned for those ladies having a TAH and I don't know!
3) I had NO discharge although some with tvh's do experience a light one.
4) As far a sex being better, you will hear pro's and cons...depends on the woman it seems
5) My husband reports no difference in sex other than my vagina is shorter now. This has not created any problems for us or a difference in sensation for him.
6) I was able to shave right away...with abdominal surgery, this might be more difficult.
7) Sweats or shorts? In the hospital? I found a short gown to be easier because of the catheter...but once this is out, I think personal preference would dictate here.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you!
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:12 PM

Fear not, my sister....all is well.....=o)

My responses to your questions follow:

1) Had no swelling belly to speak of at all...no more than pre-period....not noticable outside of clothing
2 & 3) Wore no big panties....wore regular panties in my size for the first couple of days but then the discharge backed way off and I was back in my thongs with a panty liner.
4 & 5) No difference in the sex for me either side. Just as fulfulling as ever...if not more so with all the trouble gone.
6) Shaved my legs in the hospital
7) I do not wear shorts or pants so I am no help there. Wore my skirt and was perfectly fine. Wore lounge sleeping pants while walking the halls in the hospital though and shorts while in the bed after my catheter came out...sweated out all the drugs during the nights for a few so shorts were cooler.

Just relax and take what you think you will be most comfortable in. The 2 MUST HAVES are.....

Tummy pillow - will be a life saver...so nice for support on your tummy
Chap stick - you get a bit dry and it makes a huge difference.

I took all of my little goodies to freshen up for just perke me up and put them in a basket. I then had the nurse put it on my bed table so I could reach things as I needed them. That is a must have too. You will always need things the most when there is no one there. =o)

Good luck and God bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:27 PM

thanks for the answers. I'll be having a TAH/BSO. Maybe that'll help. Do we keep the catheter long? When do they put it in?
Unread 04-16-2002, 04:39 PM

Hi, Shaw B,

My urinary catheter was placed after I was "under" anesthesia, and from reading many posts, it seems that this is usually the case. My catheter was in for less than 24 hours, and again, this seems to be the case for most women, as long as they're able to urinate without difficulty, when the catheter is removed. If not, a catheter sometimes has to be put back in.

If you've having other repairs to your bladder or an anterior/posterior repair, the catheter will usually be in longer than 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:35 PM

I had no swelly belly. I had everything out. A patch a week later which works fine. Catheter for 24 hours -- not painful, but drove me nuts.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register