Pre-Op Questions for the Doctor | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Questions for the Doctor Pre-Op Questions for the Doctor

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Pre-Op Questions for the Doctor

Hi ladies,

I am compiling a list of questions for my appointment on Thursday. I have reviewed the list of questions posted on the site where the drop down menues are located. Do any of you have recommendations on other items to ask about? I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

DH will be going with me to the Dr and I am concerned that he doesn't really understand that the recovery will take a long time. If you can think of questions I should ask that would be good for him to hear the 's response to I would also appreciate that.

After thursday should know the date of the surgery - oh boy!

Thanks for your help.

Terry :fly:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 04:44 PM

Hi, Terry,

Here's a link to a list of suggested pre-op questions. Most of these questions would be instructional for your husband, too. Good luck with the pre-op appointment:

http://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:33 PM

More questions to ask:

What pain medications will you authorize the nurses to provide? Write them down for me, please.

Especially if single:
Are you willing to sign a handicapped parking permit form for a temporary parking permit?

How will the anesthesia be administered? Will I have a careful post-operative check by the anesthesiologist once I'm awake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Thank You for the Input - question about your question

Thank you Helen and Rain2Fall for your quick response.

I think I am probably in need of some additional research because I don't know how asking about the pain medication and the type of anesthesia will help. Please explain, I fear I have so much to learn to make sure I am proactive in my health care decisions.

I like the idea about the handicapped parking permit. I would never have thought of that until I had to park in the very last row at Wal-Mart.

Keep the questions comming ladies, I want to learn from your experiences and wisdom.
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:02 PM

Hi, Frequent Flyer

I think Rain2Fall may have had specific concerns during her hospital stay, and that may be why she suggested those questions.

I've had numerous surgeries, including my hysterectomy, and have always found anesthesiologists to be among the most careful and caring of hospital staff. I had questions for my anesthesiologist, but I didn't feel it was necessary to ask whether I would be checked frequently and carefully, because that goes without saying.

If you're not familiar with the different options for pain medication, your doctor will probably be glad to answer them for you.

Once again, good luck with your appointment.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-16-2002, 08:29 PM

About the pain meds:

I didn't ask ahead of time what they would be, and later wished I had. I had a Q&A nurse who wanted me to name which pain med I wanted. It was so frustrating! I would call because I was in pain, and had already had something for it, but needed something a little more. And she would Q&A me. When I got to feeling better the next day, I thought to ask her what she had, and she said "I got lots of things". My doctor had intended for the nurses to authorize the nurses to administer a broad range of pain meds, but the Q&A nurse had been stumped. So ask ahead of time, just in case you get that kind.

About the anesthesiology: Yes, I had trouble. Not during -- I'm quite confident there. But afterwards I had a throat irritation which turned into a BIG problem. If I could have been checked the next day, had someone look into my throat to see what the matter was, everybody would have been better off.

I kind of hand my head in the sand beforehand -- hysterectomy was the only real option, and I figured I'd be out, so let what happens happen. But being active in your health care is important, and becomes important again after you wake up from surgery. My opinion.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:46 AM

Hi Frequent Flyer,
I would recommend putting off any excursions to the grocery store until you are 2-3 weeks post op if possible. (And have been cleared by your doctor to drive.) You may have lifting restrictions anyway and may not be allowed to carry or lift groceries. It's best to have your family or friends help you with what's needed. I really don't know if a dr. would give you a handicapped permit since by about 2-3 weeks you should have no trouble walking from the car to the store entrance.
As far as anesthesia and pain meds the dr. and anesthesiologist should be the one to prescribe these things. The anesthesiologist is the one that will be in charge of your anesthesia during surgery and post surgery if you have an epidural. I had a spinal/epidural which did not require me to be under general anesthetic and have a tube in my trachea. This can be discussed with the anesthesiologist and you can find out more by doing a search by clicking on the purple search button for anesthesia, spinal, epidural, or general. I didn't have any problems with finding out what should be given to me for pain after the epidural came out as it was already ordered by the dr. Good luck with your appointment.

You can read my story at this link. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register