Handicapped Parking Permit | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Handicapped Parking Permit Handicapped Parking Permit

Unread 04-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Handicapped Parking Permit

Especially for those of us who go through this alone:

You might want to consider getting the form for a temporary handicapped driver's permit and having your doctor sign it. The permit has been a blessing! You won't need it for long, but those first few outings to the grocery store can wear you out. Might as well park close. Not to mention park close when you go back to visit your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Hi

I would encourage anyone who has to recover alone to stock up on soups, frozen dinners, yogurt and any other easy to store and easy to prepare foods. A good supply of paper plates and napkins would be helpful as well. Some areas have grocery delivery services.

Even if recovering alone try to have someone available for you those first few weeks to pick up milk or medications or anything you may have forgotten.

I would recommend putting off any excursions to the grocery store until you are 2-3 weeks post op if possible. (And have been cleared by your doctor to drive.) By that time you should have no trouble walking from the car to the store entrance. You can get a bag boy or girl to take your groceries back out to the car if necessary.

If you need help getting groceries please seek assistance from neighbors, co-workers, or your church community.

Good luck to those of you who will be recovering alone. There are many women here at HS who have done so very successfully.
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:34 PM

Ditto the stocking up on food and supplies.

Plus, you might want to record a special answering machine greeting, just in case your throat is damaged and you can't talk for 3-4 weeks, like happened to me. In your greeting, tell callers if they don't get an answer or a call back, to contact you at your email address. And give them that.

That has come in handy for me!

Us home-aloners need to prepare a little more carefully and try to cover the bases and the what-if's. I learned too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:57 AM

Stocking up on groceries helped me tremendously and I don't live alone! It was one of the last things I did before the surgery. Hubby was happy that I had as he hates going. I did use bag boys and a delivery service since then, it made me feel like a real having someone shop and deliver them to my door!

I don't know about leaving my email address on my answering machine Rain2Fall, I get too much spam mail as it is!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register