Update! I may need heart surgery 1st!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update! I may need heart surgery 1st!! Update! I may need heart surgery 1st!!

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Update! I may need heart surgery 1st!!

Help, I need a few hugs here!

I went to see a cardiologist yesterday, to get cleared for surgery on 4/25. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse with severe regurgitation, meaning a lot of the blood pumped through the mitral valve is leaks back the other way.

I was told by anothe Cardio last fall that I may need surgery to repair this valve "some day". Well the Doc I saw yesterday, thinks I should have it done this year, and sooner rather than later. He did say, it shouldn't be a problem to have the hysterectomy, he just asked the details and if it was elective.
I told him it was my decision, one option rather than having paps every three months and waiting for results etc. (I had a cone in Jan, but haven't had a pap since to see if it's still abnormal or not).

He seems to think that if the hyster is not "urgent" that I should go ahead and have my valve repaired first, and do the hyster 3 months later.

He scheduled me for 2 more test tomorrow, to see whether my heart has enlarged anymore, I guess it was enlarged somewhat last fall which I wasn't told then), and then we'll go from there. The only thing is, if I end up cancelling the hyster, and then have an abnormal pap, I'm not sure which will be more "urgent"!

As if I didn't have enough to worry about! The thought of surgery scares me even more than the operation I was prepared for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 10:39 PM

Hi Weekycat,

I'm sure you'll hear from others who have been through this. I wish I could offer more -- my mom had the exact same problem and she had heart surgery for it. It helped her a lot, but we used to joke that the increased blood flow didn't seem to have helped her memory.

She once told a friend who was nervous about the same procedure not to worry about the pain. She said with heart surgery, there is very little pain, though of course there is the fatigue and whatall after surgery. She said she had hurt hurself worse just having a cookig accident in the kitchen.
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:55 PM

Weekycat,

You are in a tight spot. I think if it was me, I would have the doctors do a conference call and let them duke it out to see who gets you first. I have a feeling the surgeon will win.

Please keep us up to date. Meanwhile

My thoughts will be with you too.

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:11 PM
Hugs!

Hi, Weekycat! Here's some more hugs for you I agree that your Gyn should discuss with your cardiac surgeon when each surgery should be performed. It may be that the cervix will stabilize after the Cone you had, and it may not give you any trouble for awhile. If your mitral valve prolapse is getting severe and starting to cause symptoms, that would be a more crucial problem. I have a friend who had mitral valve prolapse for 40 years, then had to take medications for 5 years, and finally had the open heart valve repair a year ago. She is doing wonderfully now and feels so good. Here's wishing you better health in the days ahead. You've had your share of health worries! One more !
Ruthie
Unread 04-17-2002, 02:07 AM

Hi Jean!

I have a definite view on this. My only real concern before my op was whether or not my heart would survive it. I'd found out the previous November that my BP was high and had been trying to reduce it by diet/exercise. Then, in February, I found out I had endo cancer - and had to have an emergency hyster! And whether my heart would stand up to it was my biggest worry before the op (when my doctor discovered my BP was raised, he never even listened to my heart!)

My fears were alleviated a bit by the fact that I was given an ECG before my op (apparently done here routinely pre-op for all women over 50 - I am 50, so just made it into this category!) and that was okay. But I would guess that, if you don't have your heart problem fixed first, then it will really worry you before your hyster. Of course, it is up to you, but I know what I would rather do...............

Whatever you decide, I wish you lots and lots of luck!

Unread 04-17-2002, 03:25 AM
Oh Jean :/

I agree that you should have the Drs talk this out and decide what's what.

The up side is that you DID check with the cardio, and that's so much better than having problems with your surgery. I know this isn't really great news, but I hope that it leads you on the path of getting well.

I'll be waiting to hear what happens with you, for now... I'm off to the castle!

Sue
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the hugs everyone! It's 6:22 AM, and I'm off to get my tests done, Sue-it was so nice to hear from you- I've been thinking about you, was going to call you yesterday and then sorta got sidetracked! I have to go to Southdale for these tests and must leave soon, but I'll be praying for you on the way! Call me as soon as you feel up to it. I'll keep you all posted!
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:30 AM

Hi Jean,

Please let us know what happens! I will be thinking good thoughts and saying prayers for you!

Sara
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Hyster is off for now! Looks like open heart surgery first!

I promised to keep you updated on my surgery. My hysterectomy, scheduled for next week is probably going to be cancelled. My primary care physician called me today, he got the results of the tests I had done yesterday, and said yes, I should definitely have the heart valve surgery first!

Yikes! I haven't talked to my cardiologist yet, he's on vacation-(of course)-but my pcp said my valve is in pretty bad shape, and he's almost certain the cardio will say it needs to be done before anything else. I haven't called to cancel my castle appt yet, but I guess I should. I don't think they'd do it anyway.

Anyway, you've all been wonderful here, and I'll probably be back once in a while, but right now I'm looking for all the info I can on heart valve repair/replacement.

God Bless each and every one of you! 's, Jean
Unread 04-18-2002, 10:14 PM
new woman

Thanks for the update. You will be a whole new woman when they get done with you. :dance2:

I hope you find as good a site as this one is, for your heart valve surgery. Being informed is the best power.

Many of my family members have had early age heart surgeries...and all have been beyond successful. With your new valve and being uterus-less you will run circles around us.

Best Wishes, good luck, I know you will do well. Please do come back after the valve surgery and let us know how it all went.

Maralyn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register