Have got so many thoughts going on!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have got so many thoughts going on!! Have got so many thoughts going on!!

Unread 04-16-2002, 11:51 PM
Have got so many thoughts going on!!

I've got so much rolling through my head right now, I can't sleep. Have averaged only about 2 1/2 hours nightly for some time now anyway. I'm so tired. Just absolutely dragging myself to even get to work, much less actually work once I'm there--somehow it's getting done. Then I keep working to get things ready for when I'll be off. Am worried I'm not going to get house cleaned.

Go to pre-op tomorrow and can't believe how much it's on my mind. Checked out pull-down deals and trying to be ready w/questions.

Dumb question -- if a person is overweight, does she still get swelly belly and need larger panties?

Thought I was so together and all that jazz. Keep reading, know questions to ask, etc. But the emotions really do kick in, don't they? Had to watch a video last Friday at work and it made me cry. Good thing I was in the back. Kept blowing my nose, but everyone knows I have allergies Don't suppose being on day 3 of my period had anything to do with it???

Do you suppose the hospitals still have those supplies of the huge yucky pads because Hystersisters keep bringing their own? See, I'm trying to get some humor in here.

I'm 49. My two precious children are (almost) adults, 23 & 19. Had my tubes tied 19 years ago. And this still makes me realize that there won't be any more! How dumb is that? When my girls were babies were some wonderful times, though.

Dr. wanted to do a Pap at pre-op tomorrow. Last 2 years I'd be on a period when it was time so just never got around to it. Well, ain't happenin' this time either. STILL on a period--- Good grief--I hope to goodness he doesn't even think of postponing!!!

Being put to sleep used to be a big fear. Had good experience w/that last spring for D&C. Biggest fear now is cancer. Hasn't been suggested, but it's in family history.

Sorry for rambling. It's 2:40 AM, and I knew I could go to the sisters to "share".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 03:29 AM
morning Laura Jean

well i am up before dawn too!!! Sleeping is something of a luxury right now. I did get permission to use tylenol pm to help ask your doc at your pre op if you can possibly do this. It may help you get some much needed zzzzz.

Since I am waiting for my surgery too I cant help with your worries too much. But I can offer what I do....PRAY..... and talk walks....makes me feel so much better. I am trying my darndest to stay calm. I have an 8 year old at home so I cannot allow myself too much self pity as he will worry....and I will not have that.

So heres a hug from me.....hoping today is better for you.

God Bless
Cindy
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:14 AM

The last week is the hardest. I had lists of stuff I wanted to get done, cleaning, shopping, etc. I finally threw the lists out and did the stuff that I felt was absolutely vital, and said the rest wuld be there when I was able to get to it.

Hospital pads: I didn't bother to take my own. The ones in the hospital did the job just fine, and it was that much less to have to paack and then bring back home. Travel as light as possible.

Good luck with your pre op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:23 AM

You can always come here for hugs and support!

I know that I didn't really sleep much that week, I only had a week's notice for the surgery. Sometimes I think that was a blessing, sometimes not.

I think just about every sister gets a swelly belly, it's a side-effect of the surgery I think! Although I didn't get one till week 3 and today I'm at week 7 post-op.

I took a pad for the front of my panties, on the inside, to protect my incision for the ride home. I knew I was having a TAH, but I didn't know whether it was a horizontal or vertical one and neither did the doctors until I was asleep.

Email me if you want to talk, it's always on!

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:50 AM
To Laura Jean/pre op thoughts

Hello Laura Jean,

My name is (Karen )or kaymac on boards. I am new here and surfing around reading messages and just haven't posted yet, which I will after replying to you.

I too, am preop and have so many thoughts and questions. So I know how you feel. :confuse:

This board sounds so great and encouraging and helpful. I am looking for as much support as ever. I am soon to be 38 and
my friends my age, haven't had this problem. I will be the
first among my group of friends. My husband is a nervous wreck
and won't talk about it.

I am printing the list of questions and taking tomorrow to my
doctor.
Take care and hope to ck in and out with you. I pray all
goes well with you and others who are going thru this.

kaymac
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:57 PM
Thanks...

Well, I made it through pre-op!! Left the house at 9:00 AM, got home at 2:00 PM. I really did some "one-stop shopping". Had a pap, breast exam, mammogram, EKG, had 3 tubes of blood taken, and a chest x-ray. Whew! Dr. said if hemoglobin was 9 or below that we'd have to talk. I just might make it--

Came home and took a nap--hope I don't regret it tonight

Pre-op really brings the reality of this surgery closer to home. I did ask to see the floor where they put the surgical patients. I'm one who appreciates all the info I can get. Was surprised at how small the rooms were

My husband couldn't go w/me, but I told him all the things they said I should tell him. I know I will depend on him a lot. My pre-surgery prep includes an enema the night before and on the morning of another enema, Betadine douche, and shower with phisohex (sp??) soap. Have to be there at 6:00 AM for 7:30 surgery, and it takes 30-40 minutes to get there. No problem!! Probably won't be sleeping that night anyway

Can't say that pre-op helped to relieve any of the emotions, though. I'm getting "nervier" than ever. Really am trying to stay calm. Am trying to get things done.

Thanks for your kind words and for being there

I'm beginning to want to find a real nice place far, far away to hole up in for a while, kind of wishing this would go away.
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:17 PM

WOW girl! I feel nervous for you too and I wasn't there. Does it seem like reality now, and not just a possibility, having gone thru the pre op stuff? I am like in denial, until I see the doc tomorrow and have him verify all this. I guess I think it is not really going to happen.

Why did they schedule your surg so far ahead? Tests? The doc's schedule? Did you find out what your hemoglobin is or how long till you know?

kaymac
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Hi, Karen--

Not all pre-ops have all the stuff I did. Because it was so hard scheduling around periods and work, it's been two years since my last pap. Probably around the same for my mammo. Well, at least I'm set for another year.

Yes, it does seem like reality and I haven't really felt any, well, I'll just go ahead and say it--"fear" until yesterday. It was a little less than 4 weeks when I got the surgery date, and for so-called non-emergency ladies, I thought I was doing pretty good. I've seen others post who had much longer to wait!

The Dr. should have had the blood test results yesterday afternoon, and he said he'd call if it was bad. You know,somehow I never trust that attitude. I'd rather they call me, good news or bad news.

Believe it or not, I'm STILL waiting on final insurance approval, which the Dr's office should have had today. They said they'd also call on that, too, whenever they heard.

I'm thinking about going ahead and calling them either tomorrow or at the latest Monday. My surgery is a week from Monday and I sure as heck don't want to wait any longer than that if I have "to do battle w/the insurance company".

Yep. This last week+ is one big, huge, NERVY time!!!!!!!
Unread 04-19-2002, 03:15 PM
One day closer, and yesterday was SCARY

Hello all,

I had horrible morning :-( yesterday as I was bathing before doc's appt about sched hyster. I knew my bleeding was increasing cause I felt it and sure thing, I was turning water red. I stood up to quickly dry off and it broke loose going everywhere. I was standing in my blood, and huge clots plopped out like a scene from a horror show! I was terrified and called my parents next door who came over and helped me out and cleaned my up and called my dh who immediately came on in and we headed to that doc's office. I packed a bag (or my dh did) just in case! I thought I was bleeding to death. Right away the doc met with me and discussed my history and options, but didn't seem concerned about earlier on, the heavy bleeding spell!

He set my date for the 30th. Gave me iron and progesterone. We are going with TAH/BSO. He felt it best to remove the ovaries, since my hormones were not balanced and would risk having the same problems with hair, skin, swelling, etc... Said call back if bleeding gets worse! At that visit I was READY for hyster THEN.
I am so weary of all this, wondering why they put it off down the rode when we have suffered for so long. He even believed me to me anemic from all this!

I did my pre admit, lab, and etc then too.

When my dh dropped me at the house, I suddenly got very sick and lightheaded and wanted to pass out. I fell on my bed and picked up the phone to call my mother - in - law who got a neighbor to come over quickly until she and dh got here. The doc was out for the day, but they told me to lie there an hour and see if got better??!! So I almost did that, but still felt bad, and my dh said we are going to ER.

They cked my blood and said nothing was abnormal and to come lie down and call back if it happens again!! I don't get it. I called back because I had a spell, and now they want me to call back again!?

What am I to do for another 1 1/2 wk till surgery? I feel so bad already as you all know, and 6 wks of work is enough to miss without missing another 1 1/2 and the 2 days this week.

Now my ab and lower back and pelvic feel so swollen, pressure, and sharp pains. My inner thighs hurt. When I walk, my back kills me. So I am down resting between recliner and couch, wondering about work next week, and if I can go this long now.

I have so many questions now with all this pending and don't where to start..........I didn't get to ask alot there because I was rushed there. Anyone else feel this way??

kaymac :eagle:
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:06 PM

{{{{{{{{{Kaymac}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

Please take care of yourself. I think you already know the answer about work next week. "You gotta be kidding!!!" I am so glad you have relatives close by to come to you when you're feeling so bad. It sounds like having your surgery is a "no brainer" , but I sure can understand why you are so frustrated and concerned about the lack of concern from the professionals to your problems right now.

I urge you to keep getting their attention, ER, etc. when/if you have another bad bleeding episode like you did the morning of your appt. You want to go into surgery as "healthy" as you can, and that hemoglobin isn't going to get any better if you bleed so heavily again. Please keep in touch with your doctor, ER, etc.

I'm thinking of you, but sure wish I had some better "words of wisdom" to help you through this!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register