vaginal hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:25 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

I am 6 days away from this surgery. Will keep my ovaries. I am totally afraid of needles and don't handle pain well. will someone please tell me what I am in for and what drugs worked best for the pain. I will not get to stay overnight at the hospital. Also, I live alone and will just have people checking in periodically on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:08 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hi, Frightened,

I understand how you feel. The last week before my TVH 3/26/02) really and truly was the worst part of the entire adventure. But once I got to the hospital, things went so quickly there was little time to worry about anything. I had a spinal instead of general anesthesia, which worked wonderfully for me. After the IV, then gave me a happy shot. I didn't watch either of those procedures because I have needle issues, as well. They gave me the spinal almost immediately after I got into the OR. Felt the tiniest prick and then nothing else. I never had any pain beyond mild cramps (far less cramping than my periods) following the surgery, although since I have had an occasional momentary twinge of pain. I have taken Ibuprofin mostly - Tylenol occasionally - but don't need either one on a regular basis. I also kept my ovaries, and so far, no crying jags, no hot flashes.

I live alone, as well. My mom spent the first night with me, but other than that, she and friends have checked up on me. Friends brought me meals the first couple of weeks. I used my washing machine as a hamper so I could start it, and when friends came over, I would have them tranfer clothes to the dryer for me and take them out afterwards. (Under no circumstances should YOU try to take wet clothes out of the washer, or even dry clothes out of the dryer! You'll be able to help sort what others take out of the dryer after a relatively short time, but that's about all you can do in the laundry department until your doctor clears you for more. I kept the loads small, so it wasn't a big deal to ask someone to help.)

I needed someone to help change the sheets, change the cat box, and vacuum. I had two friends trade off cat box duty so each only came one time a week. I bought automatic toilet bowl cleaner and I spray the shower with Shower Clean or whatever everytime I get out so it hasn't needed extra cleaning (yet). I also got wipes to easily wipe the bathroom and kitchen counters off from time to time but I certainly don't get into heavy cleaning. My doctor released me for some household activities at 2 weeks, but I still have to remind myself to be careful because it's so easy, I think especially with a TVH, to forget you've had surgery and to overdo.

I stocked up on individual servings of jello, applesause, bottled water, breakfast bars and the like so I always had something easy to grab. I also had plenty of soup, and you'll need to make sure you have a good fiber cereal. I could get 2 or 3 servings out of most of the meals my friends brought, so it wasn't like I needed someone to bring dinner every day. I think Gas-X was the only thing I needed to ask someone to stop and get for me. I bought a small package before the surgery, but went through that in about 3 days.

Because I was alone, it was necessary to have someone check on me regularly (in my case it was my mom). Because of that, I could never turn the phone off, which prevented as much napping as I would have liked. People called constantly the first 2 weeks to see how I was doing, and while I was grateful for their concern, I got a lot more rest once the novelty of my surgery wore off!

As a result of all I did the last week before surgery - getting everything caught up at work, shopping, and giving my house the last thorough cleaning it's going to have for awhile - I was exhausted when I got to the hospital. I gather from the time you posted that you're having the kind of trouble sleeping that many of us experienced the last week, as well! Once I laid down on the gurney for the surgical prep I was ready to fall asleep! That, combined with the happy shot, took care of my jitters in the final moments! As you have probably already read on a lot of posts, the waiting really is the worst.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:12 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

first off, I'm glad you are here reading and letting us be with you during this time! Surgery is scary to us all.

I had an abdominal hyster, so I cannot really tell you what is in store for you in that respect. Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page? To get there, just click on the 3 princesses in the upper left corner of this page. Then you will be on the main page. There is also a search feature that you can use.

I'm sure there will be sisters that had TVH right behind me posting their experiences.

Please talk to your doctor if have concerns about the surgery and time afterwards. You do have a ride to and from the hospital correct? I know that sometimes TVH stay overnight although that's up to the doctor and how you are healing.

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:25 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

OH SWEETIE I CAN RELATE! I felt the same way. I had a TVH with A & P repairs and Rectum Repair and kept ovaries on 3/27/02. You need lots of big THE WAITING IS THE WORST PART.
As far as my experience at the castle. The days prior to my surgery, I was a wreck, nervous, and about crazy. I had worked and cleaned and shopped at the grocery store, my DH say you act like you aren't even going to be here. But the morning of my surgery, I was hurting in my abd so bad, I really wanted the surgery. I was not nervous,my DH WAS! I AM A NEEDLE PHOBIC!!! When the nurse went to do the IV, she first numbed the area, ASK YOUR NURSE IF SHE CAN DO THAT TOO!, That helped the pain of the IV going in. Then, the Anestelogist came in and he talked to me and found out I was really hurting in my abd that morning pretty bad, and he said we can't have that and he ordered a shot for me to go in my IV. When the nurse came in with the shot she told me you will feel much better in about 5 seconds. She told me this medicine is better that morphine. I thought yea right! well she knew what she was talking about. Praise God, my abd stopped hurting in about 5-10 seconds and the next thing I remember once they wheeled my bed out of the prep room was turning the corner to go to the OR and THEN HELLO! I am in recovery! ALL DONE!!!!! While in my room after surgery, I had a morphine pump and a catherter. All went fine with those. I was in the castle for 28 hours. DO BUY A PACKAGE OF GAS X, I ALSO HAD TO USE IT FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS! Please I know it is stupid to say, but try not to worry and stress. I did and I made it worse on myself. Try to relax, DO LOTS OF POSITIVE VISUALIZATIONS! Your day is coming and you will feel much better soon! Once you get home REMEMBER THE PRINCESS TRAINING
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:47 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

hi i areree with christie. i had a tvh on 6-12-01. they put in the i.v. then wheeled me in to the op. i was up sitting so the could do the spinal and then thats all i rember till i was in recovery also. the spinal lasted most of the night so i didn't feel a thing!. the important thing to remember is also not to tense up when they start the i.v. once thats done your home free.
also the gas x is a great idea the md told me about it so i stopped on the way hopme from the castle and i kept the bottle by my bed. it is a great invention. we are all here for you. i was also home by myself during the day till five. get your sleep in and reading if you like.
you could always come and visit with all of us!
good luck i'll say a prayer for you!
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:19 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Thanks so much for answering my post. I was glad to get your little pep talk.
Yes I am very scared. I have never had a surgery before and wish this wasn't the 1 I am starting with. I am 45.
I have some questions which seem sort of silly but at the same time, important enough that it is on my mind.
What did you wear home from the hospital? Will I be able to wear a baggy t-shirt and drawstring shorts home?
Will I be able to get up to the bathroom by myself once I get home?
When will I be able to shower and wash my hair without too much pain?
Does gas-x help? I have heard there is alot of gas pains with this. How many days of that pain did you have and is that what caused the worse pain?
I made about 30 home made TV dinners and put them
in the freezer so I will only have to heat them up.

Dog has been to vet yesterday and is up to date on shots,
check-ups, etc... As far as my dog, I have doggie doors
built right on through to my fenced back yard and she will
come and go as she does now so I truly think she will be minimal problem. I would do worse recooping if we had to be separated. I want her home with me as she is so loving. 2 1/2 year old golden retriever.

It's the waiting now and the fear of pain that is
my worst enemy.
Thanks again for the pep talk!!!!
Hugs,
Nancy
nancy1fl@yahoo.com

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:20 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hi, Nancy,

I had a TVH/BSO. May I ask why you won't be able to spend the night in the hospital, after your surgery? This is the first time I've heard of sending someone home the same day. I had a urinary catheter for 24 hours. Will you be sent home with the catheter? Who will drive you home? I'm a little concerned about the idea of going home the same day.

I wore shorts and a t-shirt home from the hospital. Since I didn't have an abdominal incision, my abdomen didn't hurt, but my back did.

I didn't have trouble getting up to go to the bathroom, after the first day. The first day, I needed help. I didn't need help with the shower, either, unless I dropped my towel.

I didn't have any gas pain, but I know I was lucky there.

Because you live alone, you may want to buy a "reacher." This is a gadget designed to extend your reach. It's great when something is on a high shelf, or on the floor. It makes reaching high, and stooping down low, unnecessary. They can be purchased at medical supply houses, or from the internet, and are usually less than $15.

Good luck with your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:32 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hi..I had a LAVH/BSO yesterday and was sent home today..I have never heard of being sent home the same day either? My doc actually would have liked to keep me tonight too, but begged to go home! I had a general and they gave me something before that to relax me...it helped a lot...I had some pain in the recovery room, but gave me something for that too....I slept most of yesterday away, I did not have a morphine pump, but nurses were great about giving me a shot in my IV anytime I needed it and gave me a sleeping pill to help me rest last night...I think the gas is the worse part. I stocked up on GasX (thanks to the sisters here) and that has helped me tonight. I wore just a pair of wind pants and a tshirt home, something comfortable works! I am still having a little discomfort tonight, but like I said, I think most is the gas. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me mjalmaleport@yahoo.com
Waiting is the hardest part!
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:55 PM
hello Frightened

hon I know you are a fraid I know I was I had TVH with A and P repairs done 4 weeks ago today
and I feel great
this was my first surgery
and let me tell you this I don't hardly remember any of it
this is what is know I got at the castle at 7o am
the nurse came in and talked to me
she listened to my heart and lungs
then I talked to my kids and the time really flew by
at 8:30 am they took me back to the OR holding
the nurse gave me something to numb my hand so she could put in my IV and I didn't even feel it
the she gave me some little pills with a sip of water
my surgery was at 9:00 am the last thing I remember is looking at the clock and it was 8:50 am
I don't even know when the gave me my hair cut
the next thing I remember is waking up in my room with all my family around me .
I didn't have any pain
I didn't get sick or
I didn't have to bad
when the doctor took out the packing the next day in didn't hurt or was not uncomefortable eather it just felt like having a tampon removed
I have not had any bad days
I feel so good
I have been off all pain meds for at least 2 weeks I am not sure if I really needed them when I came home from the castle I just took them just to make sure that I would not be in any pain
I have not had any problems with BMs due to the fact I drank prune juice every other day for 5 days
I got the cath out after 5 days and I was even thankfull I had the cath so I didn't have to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night

I know my O still works and is just as good if not better then before I had my hyster (just because I had a wet dream )so I am happy about that

I quit smoking while I was in the castle
for my surgery
I have not had any problems with hot flashes or night sweats
I have not had any crying spells

I am quilty of forgetting things
I do get the
Unread 04-17-2002, 09:03 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

I am now 8 weeks post from TVH I went home the next day. The fisrt day I was asleep almost the entire day so I don't know how your Dr can send you home the same day. The first day the only pain I felt was from the packing, it caused like a pressure pain thru my back like major back labor. But the morphine took care of that. I felt pretty good tho after that. I did take my ibuprophen three times a day. I walked slow and took it easy. I knew when I'd been up too much cuz it hurt. I was able to shower myself as long as I ddin't drop anything and hubby wiped my legs..the first two weeks I did nothing laid in bed sat in recliner and went on short walks I only bled the day after my surgery and only had the gas pains for about two days but walked to get rid of 'em I did buy alot of cranberry/strawberry juice and drank that like crazy. I had no trouble going to the bathroom I did take stool softeners for probly three weeks cuz from prior surgeries I knew I was not going to have that problem again ...If you take it easy you 'll be okay you'd be amazed at how this surgery isn't that bad but that just makes it more important for you to remember that you HAD major surgery and take it easy no matter how great you feel. I overdid it last weekn and even at 7 weeks post op then I paid for it with pain for about three days..Good luck and you are in my thoughts

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register