Scared to Death - Surgery Getting Closer | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to Death - Surgery Getting Closer Scared to Death - Surgery Getting Closer

Unread 04-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Scared to Death - Surgery Getting Closer

Well, my surgery is now less than 12 days and counting. I thought it would be a good idea if I read up on what was going to happen - you know, be as informed as possible? Bad idea! Now I'm just more scared than ever!! I'm not scared of the surgery per say, but more scared of the recovery. It sounds like I won't even be the same person after this is done - the pain (I thought I was doing this to get rid of pain??), sexual problems, problems with brain function, heart problems, bone problems, etc. Some of those things I already have (for example, it's hard to have sexual problems when you don't have sex because of the pain!!).

I just need some support that everything is going to work out for the better and my life will go on after I get this done!! I'm so scared!! The waiting is killing me!!

Thank you so much for being there for me!!

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Hang In There!

Hi Dawn,

Just hang in there! As we've heard before, the waiting is the worst part. We have too much time to let our imaginations and our fears run away with us.

So many women who I have talked to have said that a hysterectomy was the best thing that ever happened to them. So it can't be all bad!

Take a deep breath, have some chocolate, and realize that you aren't alone. We all go through these times. (My surgery is still over a month away, and yesterday, I was hyperventilating and wondering if I was doing the right thing! I am, and so are you.)

We're here for you. Big

Lisa
Unread 04-17-2002, 09:50 AM

Well look at it this way, you won't have any more sexual problems .

Hang in there, I go in on Monday, and I am starting to go nuts, I think the reason is this is a big change, living wise for the next 4 to 6 weeks, and having major surgery, our whole life is going to change, but for the better. Even though it is for the better, no one likes change and fears it.

We wouldn't be normal if we didn't feel this way. You can do it!

ArChiDe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 09:57 AM

First of all, BREATHE!!!

It's perfectly normal to be terrified before surgery, especially one as emotionally charged as this one. But please...I don't know what you have been reading or where, but you are getting the WRONG ideas!!! Sure, some women (probably less than 30%) have some form of complications (not necessarily even permanent ones), but the majority of us do not!!

After years of pain, bleeding, swelling, incontinence and so many other problems, we can finally look forward to getting healthy again! Recovery is a time for YOU...to rest, heal, and look ahead to a bright new life free of major health problems.

Please consider talking to your doctor...s/he may be able to reassure you about your prognosis. Discuss your fears and the reasons behind them, and maybe you will feel more comfortable.

I had my TAH/BSO just over one year ago, and from day one, I felt BETTER. I was a different person...a HEALTHIER, HAPPIER person! Not everyone has a perfect outcome, but most women who have had this surgery say they would do it again, and many say they wish they had not waited so long!

Keep posting, stop by Chat, and we will all be here to help you get through this.

Karen
Unread 04-17-2002, 10:22 AM

Hi Dawny,

Hang in there, kiddo. It really is going to be alright. I had my TAH and Birch February 28th this year. When I woke up, the pain wasn't so bad really. I rated it about a 6 on a scale of 1-10, and they pushed the button on my IV for more pain med. I can honestly say that the pain management I got at the hospital and at home took care of about 95% of the pain I experienced, and the rest wasn't worth mentioning. The worst part for me was the gas pain for about two weeks after the surgery - that was worse than waking up. But it was usually over very quickly - kind of like, by the time you gasp because you feel it, it's gone.

I felt better once they took me off the IV and I could move around - that's the secret - get up and walk around as much as you can and as much as they will let you. Don't wear yourself out, but if you can manage to walk the halls maybe four or five times a day, you'll feel much better. And once you feel up to a walk to the mailbox at home, do it. And gradually increase it.

My energy has been much higher since the surgery, as have my spirits and my overall outlook on life. No more pain, no more painful and heavy periods, no more leaking - what a wonderful thing I did for myself.

I was lucky; I had two amazing doctors, and the nurses who cared for me post-op were truly wonderful. I was so impressed I wrote the hospital about one of the nurses because she was just so caring and patient and, almost loving. You couldn't ask for any better than the care she provides.

It's going to be okay. You'll see.

Candy
Unread 04-17-2002, 11:20 AM
DawnY

hey hon what kind of hyster are you having
when I had mine I didn't have any pain before no heavy periods
no cramps
since I have had mine
when I woke up I didn't have any pain
I am now 4 weeks post op today and let me tell you this
having my hyster was the best thing I could have done for myself
I had a 2 degree prolasp
which was not bad
I just wet my pants when I coughed or laughed of anything else
now I can do all of the above and not have to worry
no one can make up your mine for you
but just remember we are here for you no matter what

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register