Nail Polish? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Nail Polish?

I fully understand the nail polish/oxygen part since I was hospitalized two years ago for pneumonia. I had "red" nails but they checked my oxygen on my toes (unpainted). My problem is that I have acrylic nails, so you probably couldn't get an oxygen reading anyway. I really want my toes painted too! I am going for pre-op blood work/ekg in about an hour, so I'll ask the hospital about it. Maybe I'll just have to remove my acrylic nails which I planned on doing after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Hi Joyce

Let us know what you find out. Every hospital is different.

Polish on fingers and toes was no problem at mine.\

Unread 04-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Nail Polish?

I wore my acrylic nails with clear polish when I had mine. They said it was alright, but no colored polish. I have heard some on here saying that they were allowed to wear colored. It's debatable whether anything like acrylic/polish interferes with the reading. I remember when Iworked in the hospital, those pulse ox machines were sometimes a pain in the behind even if someone had nothing on their nails. Lots of times, it's just because of less blood circulation in the fingertips. Plus, in the OR it has stay cold in there and cold fingers have a harder time getting a reading, so that could be another reason some hospitals don't want the nails covered during surgery...one less thing to aggravate the machine. One more thing about fingernails is that they check how fast the blood returns to the fingers by pressing and releasing & seeing how quick the nail turns pink again...but they could do this by pressing the pad of the fingertip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Nail Polish

Hi Joyce,
I had my pre-op on Monday 4/15 and they never mentioned whether or not to wear nail polish. My fingers and toes are done also. I have silk on my nails. I did not ask them either. I plan to have an American Manicure on Friday to get ready for my trip to the Castle. An american is very nice, similar to a french, but instead of using an opaque pink on the nail bed, they use a transparent pink. It almost looks like a clear polish but has a rosy kind of tinge to it. I think you can buy the kit in any beauty supply place.
Best of Luck with your surgery. :time2: I am only 5 days away now! and just slightly :hair: pulling my hair out!
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Nail Polish?

Every hospital has different procedures. My preop instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on, they would tape it during surgery. Every room in my hospital has a large wall clock right under the TV so I didn't have to worry about a watch.

Just my own personal opinion: I went to the hospital for surgery, looking good for the short amount of time I was going to be there was not a high priority to me. I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them there is a problem than I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

There is plenty of time after coming home for nail polish.
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Nail Polish?

Ask when you go in, but they don't check the nailbeds for your oxygen levels anymore. Technology has moved beyond that. Which is why most women will say that they were allowed acrylic nails and even nail polish. I was.
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Nail Polish?

I was told no polish, no jewelry, not even my wedding band. They also asked me if I had metal anywhere, hm, where would I hide that? I guess it was for the machines. I would call and ask the hospitals rules...that's the only way to know for sure!

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Nail Polish?

Mary Lou, you are so right. Nurses and drs are to rely more on their own observations than the machines. Machines can malfunction and give wrong readings. That's why there's still a place on the assessment sheet at the hospitals where the nurse writes in how many seconds it takes for the nailbed to return to it's original color.
Unread 04-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Nail Polish?

I have acrylic nails. I kept them and wore a light colored polish on them. There was no problem. At your pre op appointment at the castle they will probably give you a list of do's and don'ts. If they don't mention acrylic nails &/or polish I'd ask them.

Cyndi
Unread 04-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Nail Polish?

Just returned from pre-op appt and asked about acrylic nails and nail polish. I'm sure hospitals have different policies, but mine said nail polish is fine. Still don't have answer to bowel prep, but guess by GYN will let me know Friday. I now have a different problem/question, and I'll start new thread....think I'm having TAH rather than TVH. again!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register