Total Hyst scheduled for 5/8/02 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Hyst scheduled for 5/8/02 Total Hyst scheduled for 5/8/02

Unread 04-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Total Hyst scheduled for 5/8/02

Hi Ladies, I have had heavy periods, clotting and terrible cramping the last 3 years. In August of 2001 I had a physical and was found to be terribly anemic. The Dr. put me on iron pills for 6 months and took another blood test and It was worse than the other test. He sent me to a OBGYN and she did a hysterscopy and laproscopy on 3/20/02. She recommended a 6 month treatment program for me which started on 3/22/02. I had a shot of Lupron and 2 hours after the shot, I felt like I was going to pass out. The rest of the day, I was just wiped out. Then I started having chest pains, On top of that, I have not been able to sleep for the last month. I have been taking iron pills, calcium pills, pills to sleep, pills for migrane hedaches. I have horrible night sweats, have been moody, emotional and I don't know who I am anymore. On the 25th of March - I spotted for one week. On April 13 my period started and it was one of the worst ones I have ever had - I was in bed all day on Friday and most of the weekend - I had heavy bleeding, clotting - it was awful and I felt awful. I went to see another Dr. and told him I couldn't do this for 6 months. He asked me my feelings about a hysterectomy and I told him at this point, I am just ready to be rid of all the pain every month and the tiredness. I told him I was afraid to take another shot of Lupron because of how it made me feel. He called my OBGYN and sent me back to talk to her. She told me that she was trying to be conservative and didn't want to do the hysterectomy until after she tried the 6 months of Lupron. I told her in no uncertain terms that I was not going to take another shot and that I was 47 years old - my tubes are tied. I am not attached to my uterus as the only joy it has bought me were my two children - other than that - it has been a souce of pain and misery for as long as I can remember. She then said because I have endemetriosis and they did find some suspcisious cells they would also take my ovaries at the same time. I asked her a lot of questions and besides talking to another Dr. I talked to my mom and my husband and they both agreed that I am making the right decision to have a hyst. Now that I have made the decision, I am getting very nervous and scared. I don't want to back out, I feel like this is the right thing to do for me because I want my life back, I am so tired all of the time - I feel like I should own stock in kotex! I know what to expect - I have done a lot of research and this site is a great informational tool. I just am feeling uneasy!!! Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:25 PM

Sweetie, you sound perfectly normal to me for a woman about to undergo major surgery. I felt the exact same way, as I am sure most women do, who are facing a hysterectomy or where would this site be! I will be one year post tomorrow and I feel great! It was a long road but I am period free and Kotex lost a good customer It sounds as though you are well prepared and have support from your family. You have it made! Please consider coming to the chat room for more support from wonderful ladies who have been there. It may relieve any doubts you still have. Your surgery date is my son's 21st birthday so that is a good sign. Good luck with your surgery and I hope to meet you in chat........

Emily s
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:55 PM
lupron

I also had a Lupron shot. What a nightmare the headaches were tremendous. I refused the second shot. I was only going to take them for 2 months to relieve the pain (hahaha) till I could have my TAH/BSO. I will be having mine on 5-13-02. I will be glad when this stuff works thru my system it has made everything worse. The waiting is tough I am ready to be pain free! I had never heard of endo until it started running my life 2 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:28 AM

I'm posting here for the first time and responding to you because you sound just like me.
Everytime I start to think about backing out, I think about what my doc keeps telling me about "quality of life."
I think some times as women we just get so used to dealing and coping that we forget just how creepy and not normal what we are feeling is - and we deserve to be pain free. If that's the other side of it then nearly anything I have to go through will be worth it. To say nothing of having a narcotic pain reliever free and coherent thought.
Hang in there!
Soozn

TAH 5/6/02 Adenomyosis

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register