Guess I'll be a princess after all | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Guess I'll be a princess after all Guess I'll be a princess after all

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Guess I'll be a princess after all

Hi everyone.

To all who responded to my last post, THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT! You girls are wonderful!

I had an ultrasound yesterday and the dr. called today. Apparently I've got a 7 cm cyst on my right ovary. Dr. says she wants to do TAH/RSO ASAP. So, "should I or shouldn't I" has become a matter of no choice and having to do it whether I'm ready or not.

Also, she wants me to have a CA125 cancer blood test. Talk about freaked out! Oh my gosh... It's probably endo, but she just wants to make to sure.

Also, the Dr. said something about putting stents in the ureters. Does anyone know about this? Are they permanent or temporary? If temporary, how are they removed?

Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:11 PM

I was in the same situation as you, same diagnosis, etc., but I have no idea what a stent is. Did she explain what it was for? Perhaps that might give me a clue as to what she was calling a stent.
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:26 PM

A Stent is like a little tube, sometimes used in heart patients that have blockages. It sounds like the doctor wants to put this little tiny tube in your urethre to keep it open so that you can urinate properly. Perhaps the end is in the way. Call the doc and ask for a better explanation, but that is what is sounds like to me.
Best of Everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:27 PM

Hi Lisa,

A stent is a little tube like device to help keep a pathway open. For instance, the stents in my situation will be used to keep the ureters open from each kidney to the bladder. I was just wondering if this would be permanent or not.

What was your situation and outcome? (I hope you don't mind my asking.)

Thanks for the reply.
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:56 PM

Yes, I know what a coronary stent is, but I never heard of one being mentioned in the same sentence as a hysterectomy.(Unless, the patient in question was also having coronary heart surgery as well.) That's why I suggested that the doctor was referring to something else and using the term "stent" to describe it.

I'd get more info from my doctor is you want to find out what it's all about.
Unread 04-17-2002, 02:01 PM

Just saw your post, Dasher, now I see what they are talking about. I had a bladder repair, but there nothing done to my ureters. I don't know why that would be necessary.

My same situation was that I had a large mass on my left ovary. They also did a CA125, I think it's pretty common for ovarian masses to help get as much information before they go in as possible. My CA125 was negative and my mass was benign (as are a great majority of them.)
Unread 04-17-2002, 02:21 PM
CA125 routine

Even after my Dr. reassured me there was very little chance that anything was cancerous, based on sonogram, he still did a CA125, with negative results.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register