New here and have a couple of questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and have a couple of questions New here and have a couple of questions

Unread 04-17-2002, 03:23 PM
New here and have a couple of questions

Hi everyone,

My dr. just recommended a hysterectomy, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions of those who had "been there and done that!" First, I have had 3 c-sections, and I was wondering if the pain/recovery time is basically the same. Seems like it would be, same operation basically, just this time they don't put my uterus back Also, my job requires a lot of driving, how long was it before driving was ok again?

Thanks,
Sailorspe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:26 PM

i have no shildren and have never had a c-section, but this recovery is easier that the laporoscopies i've had. as for driving , my dr says wait two weeks and then we'll see. but should be released at two weeks
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Wow 3 c-sections you're a trooper

This should be apiece of cake for you. Driving is about 2-4 weeks depending on your dr. The sitting might get to you. Take off all the time you can and maybe ease back into work, part-time. Talk to your dr. Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place. Read, read, read and feel free to ask ANY questions here.

Take care. God bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2002, 06:43 PM
re: driving after surgery when, say WHAT?!?

Two WEEKS? I need to drive the Mon. after (my surg. is on a Friday.) My daughter is graduating HS two weeks after my surgery is scheduled. I have to drive my kids to school every day because we moved in Feb and had to get special attendance permsits for them to finish at their current schools. I wasn't about to make them change schools at that point in time. GAH. I can't afford to put them on my insurance and my truck is a stick shift and none of them know how to drive it anyway. (DH takes the bus, he lost his license when we lived in San Diego a few years ago and we don't have the $1200 to pay the ticket he got there.) If I have to reschedule my surgery I will SCREAM . I want it FINISHED.

ackackackackack!
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi All

Please don't drive until you are released by your doctor.
You need to be out of pain, be able to strongly press down on the clutch and/or brake peddle, and be off pain meds. In some states you are not allowed to drive for a set period of time after you have had anesthesia.
The minimum wait after surgery is usually 2 weeks sometimes longer. Again it depends on how fast you heal which has alot to do with you really taking it easy the first 2 weeks. Also, bear in mind there are alot of internal stitches. This does take longer to recover from than a C-Section.
When you are released to drive that usually means short errands it does not mean going back to work where you have to drive all the time. Return to work is usually 6-8 weeks. If your job involves alot of driving try to plan on 8 weeks off.
Please try to line up some neighbors, friends, family to help you with driving everyone around.
Sorry I don't mean to sound overly cautious but this is major surgery. You only have one chance to heal right. Overdoing it will prolong your overall recovery and could lead to complications.
Take good care of yourselves, okay?
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:34 AM

Thank you for all the replies. In my line of work an average drive would be 1-2 hours. I also work with individuals with developmental disabilities, so there is the possibility that some of my clients may become aggressive , so it sounds like I need to plan on taking the full 6-8 weeks off. I was just trying to judge how long I need off so I can schedule my operation. I am interested in hearing about the differences in healing time between a c-section and a hysterectomy. Thanks again. This site has been great
Sailorspe
Unread 04-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Welcome to Hyster Sisters sailorspe!

Have you visited the pull-down menus yet? They have tons of good information for you. To get to the main page, just click on the 3 princesses up in the upper left corner of this page. They helped me plan for the surgery and post-op!

Everyone is different in regards to recovery time and the actual pain factor that goes with surgery. I have had 4 c-sections and only 2 were from babies! The other 2 were a tubal and hyster. What kind of incision are you expecting to get? I wasn't sure which I was getting as they were expecting to find fibroids, but didn't know for sure until I was asleep and they could see if my uterus was free moving. I woke up with a horizontal cut, which is tons easier in my opinion than a vertical to recover from. Also, remember, they aren't just taking out a baby, they are cutting away organs and reattaching things. I was in surgery for 3 hours due to the adhesions I had.

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register