bladder question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bladder question bladder question

Unread 04-17-2002, 03:36 PM
bladder question

I am scheduled for sx April 23, my doctor has said nothing about a bladder sling or tack. It seems like from reading about other sisters that it can be an issue. Is this something that I need not worry about or should I question it that morning at the hospital. I am 36 years old and completely terrified! I am also going to have to have some lymph node removal that could affect the drainage system in my legs permantly, has anyone had this done and can give me some advice. I seem to do okay during the day but at night I get so restless that I think there is just no way I can do this. Any encouragement would be grateful.

Monica - TAH, lymph node removal also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:38 PM
bladder question

most definitely talk with your dr about it. my dr said she would sew my bladder to ligaments, to prevent it from falling. i'v ebeen on here to long good luck
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:07 PM
bladder question

Hi Monica

I had a Burch repair with my TAH. During an internal exam, my Dr. asked if I leaked urine when I coughed or sneeze. I did, so I said yes. He informed me then that he would do the Burch repair. My GYN did it, but some GYN's prefer to have a URO do the procedure.

The Burch is a seperate procedure from the hyst and will be billed to your insurance company seperately. Therefore, your Dr. will need to get approval from the insurance company for a bladder repair before the day of surgery.

I would suggest not to wait until the day of surgery to ask about it, but rather schedule a visit or give him a call.

Hope this helps !! Good luck to you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:14 PM
My experience...

Had a TAH last FEb. 2001 at 36 years old. Dr wanted to wait on the bladder issue and said it might "fall into place" after he yanks out the old ute. Guess what? I go for a bladder sling on June 24th! I didn't push the bladder issue. My dr made the comment that why have 2 surgeries if I didn't need them both. So after waiting and seeing, I do have to go back. My point is, it would have been good to get them done at the same time. I have incontienece, leakage of urine when I sneeze, cough, laugh, jump, run, exercise, etc.... It's getting worse. Read and be informed talk to your dr. What are your symptoms? Do you have any trouble with your bladder now?

Take care. God bless. I love this banana. Is it new?
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
no bladder leakage

I have never had a problem about leakage of my bladder. Could it be that my doctor would go ahead and take care of the bladder since she has said nothing about it? Time is running out so I called her nurse (who you usually have to talk to) and she said it shouldn't be an issue. Should I insist on talking to the doctor?
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:44 AM
bladder question

I also had stress incontinence, which is the ONLY reason that I had a bladder repair. Otherwise, it shouldn't be necessary. Go ahead and insist on talking to your doctor to see what he/she thinks, but if you insist on having it done, be prepared to have your surgery postponed if your doctor wants a urologist to do it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register