TVH now TAH...why?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH now TAH...why?? TVH now TAH...why??

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:02 PM
TVH now TAH...why??

I saw my gyn because "something" was coming out of my vagina. He said I had a cystourethracele and needed hysterectomy but wanted bladder urodynamics first. He indicated then I would have a TVH. Had urodynamic studies and urologist said I needed bladder sling to hold it up, and asked if my gyn was doing A&P repair....didn't even know what A&P repair was...still don't. At pre-op today, I signed a consent form for an abdominal hysterectomy and I asked RN why...thought it was vaginal. She said she didn't think they could do A&P repair vaginally, that I'm having 3 procedures: TAH, A&P and bladder sling. HELP!

I see my gyn Friday (first time since bladder studies) and will ask these questions, but hope the sisters can help me sleep tonight. What is A&P repair? Can it only be done abdominally? Can ovaries be taken if vaginally? I'm 57 and don't need them anymoe so they may as well come out too. More than ever and surgery is a week away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:13 PM
TVH now TAH...why??

Joyce, this has to be a shock to you, please remember that you will be okay though! I would call the doctor or ask when you are in the office what's going on. They should have told you about the change in procedure before you signed anything agreeing to it. Everything should be explained to you so you understand it completely. After all, you are the one going through the surgery!

Sara
Unread 04-17-2002, 04:34 PM
Dear Joyce

Hi. Had my TAH over a year ago. I too was originally told I would be having a TVH. A few days prior to my surgery another Dr (same office, my dr had to leave town for a family emergency) thought my vag was too small for the hysterectomy. I didn't mind. Funny, but I preferred to have an abdominal vs. vag. I know, sounds funny.I had atonsillectomy about 7 years ago and my lip was knicked. Somehow that was brought to mind when the TVH was first mentioned. I didn't want any other parts knicked if you know what I mean. Silly huh? Well, I didn't push for bladder repair/sling since my original dr said that after we booted the 'ol ute my bladder might "fall into place" thus not needing bladder work. Why have to surgeries if I didn't need them. Sooo...

I go in on June 24th for bladder work. About the same castle stay, pain and recovery time as my TAH. Oh well. Live and learn. I think you are wise to get this all checked out and taken care of at once. If you're not sure about a procedure ASK your dr. It's your body and you have the right to be informed and make decisions accordingly.

Hope this helps. BTW, I have No regrets. Best thing I ever did. Qualityof life is FANTASTIC.

Let us know what happens.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register