The funniest part of my TAH was... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

The funniest part of my TAH was... The funniest part of my TAH was...

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:07 PM
The funniest part of my TAH was...

After I arrived to the castle, put on my royal robe and snoozing slippers (imagine sleeping beauty NOT!), I pulled out a giant yellow happy face sticker and placed it right above my bikini line. I didn't let anyone in on my little joke. After I came out of surgery and was out of the twilight zone, my surgeon remarked about the sticker. He said it was the funniest thing that he'd seen in the or in quite some time. He said it cheered up the staff. Happy staff works for me! Anyway, when I awoke, I saw this sticker on my chest, sticking on my beautiful hospital ball gown. I knew they wouldn't leave it on me during surgery. I thought they would just throw it away. Nice touch.

Next morning lovely nurse comes to walk me to go potty like a big girl and asks,"Honey, why do you have a big yellow happy face stuck to your rump?" (Oh, those lovely backless castle gowns). Somehow my little joke had made its way from my chest to my bottom during the night. Who knows, with all the morphine and other cocktails, I'll never really know how it got there.

Just wanted to share my funny experience. I was so terrified and nervous going in. Adding some humor to the mix helped everyone in the or that day and even a few chuckles the next.

Make it fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:11 PM

Good idea! Happy staff, yeah!

My funniest was when they were prepping me for surgery and asking the standard questions that each and every person who comes near you asks:

What are you having done today?

I got tired of saying "hysterectomy" and changed it to "They are taking my eggs out." They got kind of a chuck out of that.
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:16 PM
LOL! Thanks for sharing. That's a good one.

O.K. so with my bladder sling what should I say? They're fixing my pee-pee? "Putting in a hammock" Ooo, help me think of something good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:31 PM

<giggle>

What a great idea! Next time I have surgery, I'll have to do something like that. It'll keep my mind off being terrified.

Melissa
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:53 PM

The smiley face sticker was a great idea! And it's just too funny, where it ended up!

Yes, keeping a sense of humor is a great idea. Not always the easiest thing to do, but it can really help a lot. Just before they took me to surgery I asked my gyn if my DH needed to draw a line on my belly saying "cut here." This was because my gyn started talking about a vertical incision at my pre-op appointment, after telling me my incision would be horizontal at the previous visit. So, I kidded him and he laughed about it.

Anyway, glad to hear you are home. Thanks for sharing your tip for keeping the hospital staff laughing and relaxed!

Beth
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:01 PM

I got "hyst"-erically giggly when the nurse shaved a little bit off the top near where my bikini incision would be - I'd already had a cockatail, and it tickled.

Also, I remembered later that when they took me for the little chariot ride after the recovery room to my room upstairs, I giggled and waved to people on the way. (sigh) I guess they all just figured I was another happy customer. Or maybe too-happy.
Unread 04-17-2002, 10:19 PM
Debbieg

I imagine you waving like the princess in the royal parade, your bed or wheelchair the float. tee hee
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:21 AM

lol, the smiley sticker is a good one, sounds like something I would do.

As for saying "hysterectomy" all the time, I have been getting sick of saying it also, so what I say now is "they are taking away the crib and keeping the playpen" I get chuckles now and not looks of astonishment and sympathy.

Archide
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain2Fall
Good idea! Happy staff, yeah!

I got tired of saying "hysterectomy" and changed it to "They are taking my eggs out." They got kind of a chuck out of that.
Leslea Newman has an article in her latest book (Girls will be Girls) called -- "Eggs McMenopause."

Haven't read it, just know it's there.

Besta luck to all!
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:29 AM

Love the happy face sticker story. When I had my tubes tied 10 years ago, they kept asking me what surgery I was having. I finally said, "Breast enlargement." When they looked puzzled, I admited that I thought I would at least try it and see if they would do it and then said, "OK, tubes tied, but I wouldn't mind if you did both!"
Closed Thread

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register