How to mine & sons surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to mine & sons surgery How to mine & sons surgery

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:24 PM
How to mine & sons surgery

Today I went for my pre-op and my doctor told me that my insurance still hasn't approved for my surgery this Friday. He told me that he didn't see why they wouldn't approve it and that he would call and let me know for sure tomorrow. He went ahead with everything that we needed to do for pre-op. He told me that he is going to take out my uterus, right ovary and tube. Possibly taking out my left ovary and tube. It depends on what it looks like when he goes in to do the surgery.
Also I had to take my three year old son to the doctor today about his sleep apnea. His doctor told me that he definetly wants to take his tonsils and adnoids out as soon as possible. Nerve Racking. I am so worried about him, but yet I am worried about my surgery. His doctor told me that he would my son's surgery in two weeks. I hope I will be well enough by then. I don't want to sound selfish, but I am so worried and stressed about my surgery and his. If you have any advice to help handle this situation, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:21 PM

mistress196, My son had his tonsils taken out and tubes put in his ears at the same time he was 10 at the time, but he handled it like a pro. He was sore for only the first 24 hours and a little groggy from the anesthesia,but the next day he was literaly back to himself,just not really talking to much. You should probably be ok taking care of him at home, but i am not so sure about going to the hospital , waiting, and then having to carry him home(my husband had to carry my son from the wheelchair to the car).You also have to wait in a recovery room for about 2-3 hours until your child,gets some juice and crackers down and pee's. I Hope i helped good luck.
Unread 04-17-2002, 06:26 PM
oops, wait!

Mistress196, In recovery for the tonsils it is pudding, juice and maybe pee's. Also don't worry you will be fine just remember God never gives us more than we can handle,take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 11:28 PM
what????????

I don't get it. Didn't you explain to your doctor that you were having surgery? You will not be able to lift your son, you will not be able to drive, you may still be on pain meds, etc. I'm not concerned about the surgery for your son, it is quite do-able. The younger the better. Make sure you have ice cream, jello, puddings, toddler pain medication, etc. on hand. If you have someone there to take him to and from the hospital and spend the first night, then it should be just OK. It could be better.

But if you don't have any help... it won't work. Your recovery will depend on how well you follow your doctor's instructions. I'm just not understanding this. You must have someone there to help you, that you have not mentioned to us, or you would not have agreed to do this 11 days after your major surgery. If you don't have help, find help or please consider holding off on one of the surgeries. Your son will recoup very fast. If he is operated on first, then you wouldn't have to worry about him. You have to make this work, instead of HOPING that it will work.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but you've got me worried. If your insurance has not yet approved....you have to postpone it anyway.

My best to you,
Maralyn

ps no orange juice for your son, it will burn. Dilute most juices in the beginning.
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:39 AM

Wow..that is a lot to handle all at once! My insurance didnt send me my approval letter until 4-12 and surgery was 4-16....trust your doctor...I didn't and was on the phone with the insurance company every day...but he came through! As far as your son's surgery 2 weeks after yours...is this something they can wait atleast 4 weeks for? I know I am not allowed to drive for 2-3 weeks, can not lift anything over 20lbs for 4 weeks, and I know I am only 2 days post op, but there is no way I could handle taking care of a sick baby right now! I had my surger LAVH/BSO, so a lot less recovery time than TAH, which surgery are you having? I would definately talk to your doc about holding off on your sons if at all possible for atleast 4 weeks post op (vaginally-maybe longer if abdomanally)...hope all goes well...keep us posted!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register