New Here and having LAVH in 3 wks | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here and having LAVH in 3 wks New Here and having LAVH in 3 wks

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:41 PM
New Here and having LAVH in 3 wks

I haven't found alot of posts that mention a LAVH. I am reading everything I can find to help give me an idea what to expect after surgery. I do pre-op on 5/2.

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:15 PM

Hi andi and welcome!!!

So glad you found us! Some good places to find info on LAVH would be on the home page...scroll down to the pull down menus to "Princesses Tell Their Stories" and you should find some experiences there. Also you can run a search with our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page). You'll find many threads in which LAVH was discussed.

Keep reading, keep posting, and we'll all be here to help you every step of the way!!

Karen
Unread 04-17-2002, 11:21 PM

I had a LAVH on 2/8 02. I kept both ovaries. My surgery took about 2 hours and then I spent 2 hours in the recovery room. My catheter was taken out 6 hours after surgery. I had IV meds for the first 8 hours, then switched to injections, then pills when I could keep fluids/food down. I was up walking the first evening. I spent 1 night in the hospital and then went home. I had 4 incision sites (1 in the belly button, 1 low by my pubic hair and 1 on each side near the ovary areas). I am now 9 weeks post-op and doing great. My advice is to get lots of rest, drink lots of water, and to let everyone else take care of you. Take short walks. No cleaning, no laundry, no grocery shopping, etc. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or need any further information. I am so glad I had the surgery - wish I had done it sooner. Let me know how your surgery goes. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 12:43 AM
LAVH, what to expect

I had mine on April 4th, (was terrified by the way, for no cause I have now found out) by April 16 I was up and sitting in the chair out back, trimming plants in the pots. (actually did a bit more, and was very tired and hurting by evening, back to bed for a couple more days) I had felt pretty poorly till then, laying in bed on meds, and getting waited on. To pee hurt, and bm out of the question, later with help of stool softner, YELLOW SQUASH and PATIENCE, and some pain this was possible. I also had an appendictomy and adhesions removed from appendix. I do not near have my former endurance or strength or body shape back nor have I been to dr for post op. Life seems a little unreal and at times wonder WHEN the pain will be totally gone, IF the hormones will begin to be a problem or the symptoms will catch up to me, so far so good, and wonder when the belly will be shrunk, and me able to be the Amazon woman I was prior to three years ago when pain made doing much impossible, and surgery was a MUST, in hopes of relief. Also had uterine varicose veins, a prolapse, corrections were recto, cestocle, and pelvic floor reconstruction, and suprised to find vaginal stitches deeper or more involved than usual episotomy. This aspect was a total suprise. Felt like I was sitting on a baby porcupine for some time and some mild depression following surgery at the suprising amount of weakness and pain. Was short lived however. Given HRT injection, no major problems there so far. Depression caused by unrealistic expectations (though I knew better) for immediate relief and after a while boredom from sitting in bed for so long (10-11 days) . No such luck, but mending every day. Follow ALL the advice here unless it goes against YOUR doctors orders, ask first, listen to your body and fit YOUR recovery to YOU and how you feel, and your situation. I am still very weak and avoiding lifting. Basically take a vacation from virtually all housework(and childcare if you have little ones if that is possible) that requires much standing, sitting and diffinately lifting anything heavier than a teapot. Now April 18th and unfortunately doing some housework (mostly bored and aggravated with the mess) I stop when it hurts too bad, and sit or lay down and take a nap. More than likely I am overdoing it somewhat, but I try and stop when pain is too much. Totally off meds, except on nights I hurt and can't sleep. I was under only 23 hrs hospital observation. No way could I have walked that first night, though I did go to the restroom the next day, as I was not about to bring cathether home!!! Mind and attitude is a big must, try and be positive, and patient. Look to the future without so much pain. I will let all know if it was worth it. Useful items at home for self care. Baby wipes. A squirt bottle (to wash personal parts and avoid itch and smell from discharge and to ease stitches in personal area), bottled water by the case, limes to put in the water, after surgery meds. (Phenegram suppositories that I took Not for nausea so much as it helps with sleep and relaxing too). Pretty gowns, baggy men pj's, over sized undies, pads, you should arrange all lotions, meds, water, creams and other stuff such as books remote phone etc. near bed, get craft or books or movies to occupy you the first two week or so, as you most likely will spend a good bit of time in bed. Rest, sleep, eat, sleep, take meds, change pads is the routine till you get feeling better. Good luck and look for more posts as I was pleasantly suprised at how quickly things are moving once the first couple of weeks has passed. Remember you can hurt you healing by overdoing and some have and ended up in emergency or returned to surgery repair. NO sex, baths till dr. releases you. DO NOT OVERDO, no matter how tempting. Ps Shopping is out, as it is just too tiring, and no driving for six weeks was my orders. One I am somewhat happy to comply with, as it keeps me away from the temptation to overdo. Get meds squared away with dr. and PREORDERED before surgery. I prefered the demerol shots for after surgery relief, I did wake from surgery immed after, in quite a bit of pain. Got a shot, in less than 5 10 minutes relief and back to sleep. Have discussions about pain, BEFORE you get to the hosp. with doctor, as YOU will have some pretty intense pain after in hosp, and likely some strong cramping and other hurts when home. Took mine regularly for a week or more every four to six, do not let the pain get ahead of you, as it is harder to control then. Good luck.
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:30 AM

I had a LAVH/BSO on 4-16, home on 4-17...what to expect?? Not exactly sure yet, but so far I can tell you it's not that bad...a little discomfort and not sleeping real well! I went into surgery at 10am and came out around 1pm...the doc said when he snipped the ligaments away from the uterus, mine decided it didn't want to come down by itself, so he had to do a little more than usual...he said without laproscopic I would have ended up having in abdominally, but because of the laproscope he was able to do it vaginally. So far I have no vaginal pain, not like when I had my son...the only pain I really have is not what I would call pain...just tenderness around the 4 tiny incisions and some major gas pain! I was told no driving for 2-3 weeks, no housework for 2 weeks, no intercourse, tampons (not sure why I would use those anyway?), or doushing for 4 weeks, no lifting over 20 pounds for 4 weeks, and do nothing but rest for the first week (no doing ANYTHING)...hope this answered some of your questions...feel free to email me if you have any I can answer in more detail: mjalmaleport@yahoo.com!
This site was the best thing I could have ever found before surgery...any my doc was sooo impressed on how much I new!
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:36 AM

Lynn and Karen, Thank you so much for your responses.

I am just over how long I may be off work. Unfortunately I work for five men and between them and my Dh they are setting me crazy. They all think and want me back to work in 10days or less. I am hearing and understand it could be as much as 6 weeks, even with a LAVH. I am going to also be doing a bladder test on the 30th and will find out if I will be doing a BS also. I want to heal right and not make it all linger longer by going to work too soon. Stupid enough I am in the insurance buseniss but the guys I work for offer me no benefits. I know we may have financial stress if I am out the whole 4-6 weeks.
I am just in the mist of the unknown. I am not sure what my Dr. will take out either. I have a undiag. mass consuming my right ovary so I know that will come out. My ute is coming out for sure because of irregularity and past history with dysplasia.

Thanks so much, off to work.
Andrea
Surg. 5/9/02
Unread 04-26-2002, 05:38 AM
new here

just wanted 2 say this is a great website! i've just been reading for about 2 weeks after i found out my surgury date may 7 for a lavh and bso-was (and still alittle) scared 2 death but alot of the comments and info i've read has really made me feel better about my decision! mandy
Unread 04-26-2002, 06:01 AM

{{{Andrea and Mandy}}} You'll do great!!

I had an LAVH and the left ovary out on 3/29/02. It went well and I felt better every day. The recovery is shorter than with the long abdominal incision *but* it is still recovery from major surgery - please don't rush yourself back into anything. Your health is more important. This site helped me so much. You're welcome to come into the live chat, too. The ladies on this site are wonderful and helpful. There's no such thing as a stupid question here. Please feel free to post and chat. And ask your doctor/medical team as many questions as you want (we aren't doctors).

Ladies, please remember to concentrate on your recoveries. **Rest a lot, drink a lot, and walk a little** and **never, never overdo**!! It's very easy with an LAVH to overdo because you'll feel so good so fast! So be careful!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register