Waiting on postponed TVH and taking Lupron... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting on postponed TVH and taking Lupron... Waiting on postponed TVH and taking Lupron...

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Waiting on postponed TVH and taking Lupron...

I was originally scheduled for a TVH for fibroids on March 14 after enduring several years of sporadic, extremely heavy bleeding, followed with just about three months of constant never ending bleeding, flooding, etc. When I went for my pre-op, they decided that my blood count, at a 6.5 was way to low to proceed with surgery and cancelled it the evening before.

At my doctor's suggestion and with quite a bit of apprehension, I have received two shots of Lupron, 30 days apart to halt the bleeding (which was continual at that point) and of course take my iron.

I have to say to those that are concerned about taking Lupron, this has been awesome as a short term solution. For the first time in several months, I am not bleeding. My energy level has gradually returned and I am VERY excited about being two months beyond surgery and always feeling like this.

Other than wishing I had a "release valve" for the hot spells (on fire from the inside out pretty constantly), I feel fine. I had one horrible evening where I had incredible cramps, vomitting and chills but my doctor said that where it was only 3 days after my first shot he doubted it was a side effect and more likely a virus. I only receive my second shot yesterday and I understand that the side effects could become worse during this next month, but after a month of relief, I am thrilled to be enjoying life as I wait for my surgery date

Life is looking up!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:27 PM

I took Lupron shots for 6 months last year. It was welcome relief from the pain, flooding, etc. I had no side effects except for extreme menopausal side effects which only lasted the first month. I was skeptical at first but after 6 months I was wishing the FDA had approved them for long term treatments.
Unread 04-18-2002, 02:03 AM

I also had 6 months of lupron and had total relief from pain and bleeding while on them...of course had the typical side effects, hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, but the way I look at it...I new that because I got such relief from lupron, I new I would get total relief from a hyst....my doctor told me that he wanted to remove both ovaries too, which concerned me at 31 yrs old, but also explained that it was the only guarentee he could give me of total relief since the lupron worked for me...2 days post op now, and although I cannot say I am feeling 100% better, I hope I can say that in a few weeks! Hope everything goes well for you and let us know how your surgery goes!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register