HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

urodynamic tests for bladder repair urodynamic tests for bladder repair

Unread 04-17-2002, 07:29 PM
urodynamic tests for bladder repair

Hello-sisters i am new. i have agreed to a hyster due to pre cancerous cells in uterus and cervix. i have appointments to have a urodynamic test done to find which method of repair will need to be done to my bladder. they are also are doing a cyctocope. my question--has any one had this urodynamic test done? i am planing on having my trip to the castle mid july.
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:45 PM

I had the test done in October, it's wasn't bad. You have to have a big drink about an hour before, then urinate into a special potty. Then you sit up in this funky chair, they place these little electrode connections down there to measure things like muscle control. They catheterize you to see if the bladder is empty. Then I had to urinate again and they catheterized me again to see how empty the bladder was again. It took about half an hour and was more embarassing than uncomfortable, especially since I work in the health care industry and knew the nurse from years ago. I was glad to have it done though, to finally answer the questions I had and to ensure that the repair would be done when I have my hyst next week. I'm having a TVT, it's where they use a mesh tape to help suspend the urethra. Good luck with your tests!
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:15 AM

I had the urodynamics and cystoscope done about a month ago. Pretty much as described above...not terribly uncomfortable but can be embarrassing since they fill your bladder with water and then you stand on a paper mat and you have to cough, bear down etc. to see how much you leak! However you won't be the first or last patient the doctor has seen do this, so really nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'm having a hysterectomy (don't know until tomorrow whether vaginal or abdominal), AP& repair and bladder sling on 4/24, and I'm definitely nervous! Unless something changes, my sling will be from donor fascia (my choice...they could either harvest from me or put in donor...less trauma on me if they use donor). My doctor doesn't like the mesh because he doesn't think it is as strong as the fascia.

Best of luck with the studies! They aren't that bad.
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:07 AM
urodynamic tests

I had that test done in Houston at Tx. Woman's Hospital a few days before my hyst. ( which was April 11- last week). They found that I didn't need the full repair. I am not stress incontinent only urge incontinent. My only problem is that I sometimes put off going to the potty until the very last min. I can cure my self. I'm so glad I had the test. Where are you located and where are you having the test? I was impressed with the doctor who did mine.
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:06 PM

Thankyou you all for the info-- i live in flint michigan. my uro test is being done may 2nd. the cycoscope may 30th. my gyn june 10th i think. then surgery july 10th. i have known my urologist for 20yrs. he is so cute--but right now i feel really old so it does not matter. i go monday to a dermotologist because when i had my hesteroscopy and d&c i asked my gyn to take a mole off my butt--it sits on the elastic line of my under wear- guess what --pathology came back that i need to have more removed--i don't think that sounds good either--lets just add a few more things to this saga. my gyn wants this taken care of before my big trip to the castle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love to all--my heart is with you-------Janice72 (the year i got married)--30th anniversary April 29th.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway