Being Nice | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Being Nice

Someone recently posted these suggestions for in the hospital:
* Take notes
* Ask for copies of your file
* Be 'nice' so the nurses fall all over you
* Be proactive with your care
* Let staff know your needs (complain loudly if necessary)

I'd like to know how one balances being nice with being proactive; further, how to balance being nice with complaining loudly if necessary.

I was as nice as possible, but I'm afraid I made one nurse mad; and I must not have complained loudly enough a time or too, because I was afraid of being "not nice." Yuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Being Nice

Hi, Rain2Fall -

Being nice to me is the important difference between being assertive and aggressive.

Being assertive and "nice" has to do with your attitude and the WAY you ask. Smiling (if you're up to it - when you're in pain, that's not always going to happen), trying to remember their name if you can, saying "please" and " thank you". "I really appreciate it", "Would you be good enough to", "I know you're busy", "when you have a chance" (if it's not urgent). I brought candy for the nurses and I told them when they said thank you that I wanted to thank THEM, because they work hard and do so much to help. Which they do. It is the difference between talking to the nurses like they are caretakers and treating them like slaves.

Being nice does NOT mean you don't ask for what you need. You absolutely should. Proactive is important. And often, the nurses are busy. They have to know if you are in pain or need their help.
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Being Nice

>>I'd like to know how one balances being nice with being >proactive; further, how to balance being nice with complaining >>loudly if necessary.
>
>

IMHO, being nice is a character trait...Politness, kindness etc are all wrapped up in being nice.

Being proactive, again, IMHO only, is completely dependant on being **educated** in a situation... knowing what is going on, what to expect, what you want and what to ask for {nicely of course! } and of course being confident in what is best for YOU with all of the above!

And, if any unforseen problems requiring complaining do happen, being nice but firm in your speech, coupled with sounding confident and sure of your beliefs will get some quick acting results!

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Being Nice

Alisa and Ami are right on. Especially remembering their names. Asking nicely, and if they don't do it right away, continue to be persistent, but nicely, is also "nice", but assertive. When I felt OK, I would joke with them and engage them in conversation, about their families, or anything that would start to form a bond. When they like you, they tend to get you what you want, when you want it.

Another thing is, if something is not urgent, I would wait and call them when I had a couple of things that I needed done. Obviously, if we are talking pain meds, that's not something you "save up".

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register