HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Tips of the Week

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does HRT affect weight loss/gain?? Does HRT affect weight loss/gain??

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:32 AM
Question Of The Week for April 18th-25th.....

This weeks Question of the Week is " Is Weight Loss affected by Hormones"??

Would love love to hear from those of you that are taking HRT and those of you that are Not.

Take Care, Dawn

TAH/BSO 6-29-01

203/184/135 ~~ 19 lbs gone forever ~~
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Does HRT affect weight loss/gain??

Well, I don't know if weight loss is affected by hormones but I do know that hormonal inbalance can result in weight-gain: one of the reasons I went to the doctor, when I was having the problems that led to my surgery, was the sudden weight gain I suffered. I actually gained 30 lbs in 6 months, without doing (or not doing) anything to warrant it.

One of the first things I noticed after my hyst, and once my ovaries settled down, was that I was not only no longer prone to gaining weight, but also found it easier to loose any excess weight.
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:46 PM

I think weight loss is definitely affected by hormones........I think my metabolism has definitely changed since my hyst and being put on Premarin, which works well for me as an hrt, but it seems like it takes 3 times as much effort to lose any weight as it used to. Is it age (I'm 47) or the hyst or the hormones........who knows? I work out anywhere between 4 and 6 days a week.
Ann
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:01 PM

I started gaining weight after going on Premarin and found it so much harder to lose when I tried to diet. I know it happened but don't know whether it was the ERT or just menopause that caused it. Berman & Berman have a show on Discovery Health and they did one on menopause. One of the dr's they had on said menopause often causes weight gain....no mention of HRT being a factor or not.
Unread 04-18-2002, 07:40 PM

Hi all

I feel hormones are a huge part of weight gain/loss.
Post-Op I'm feeling less in control of my will power.
I picked up good info on how hormones in particular how insulin affects the body by reading sugar busters; I was surprised to read it’s not just about diabetes.
I'm looking forward to the input from everyone.
Hugs,
Pam
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:20 AM

Before my surgery my hormones were out of balance because large cyst on my ovaries. I had my right ovary removed in May of 2001 and after that the left one shut down. I gained weight during the next 8 months. My biggest problem was the fatigue. I am on clamira now and the sweet cravings have calmed down and I do feel emotionally better. Yes the lack of hormones did effect me.
Unread 04-19-2002, 09:32 AM

I think that weight loss or gain is affected by hormonal imbalance. I have not had balance since the onset of menses, which is also when I started ballooning out. I am losing weight now but it is a daily struggle. I am hoping that after surgery and beginning hormone meds that it will get a little easier.
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:48 AM

Great Question Ladies!!
Well...I am on 0.06% Estrogen Gel, (Estrogel) and have been on it for 11 months, and I am sure its what causing the majority of my 25 pound weight gain. I can't really say I have changed my eating habits in this time, and if anything I am eating heathier. I was never a breakfast, lunch eater, and only eat one meal a day, but now have a muffin in the morning.

Weight would always fall off me when I was stressed or worried, but I have had my share of that this year, and I am still gaining. I have been doing the walking tapes faithfully for over 2 weeks now, at least 2 miles a day and doing ab work on the resistance ball too, so I am really hoping I see some results from those. I have 5 pair of jeans that I was wearing pre-HRT, and I am really hopeful of getting back into those again. My hyster saved my life, so I feel guilty about complaining because if I had not had it I wouldn't be here now, but I was not on HRT from Sept. - May, and didn't gain weight up to that point, so I am sure thats the cause.

So my vote on the Q. of the week would be a big ole YES, I am sure my HRT is playing a big part in my weight gain. I did mention it to my Gyn after gaining about 15 pounds, and she didn't seem to think it was because of the estrogen, but reading I have done, list weight gain as a side effect of taking synthetic estrogen.

And I just finally quit smoking ( smoke free for 12 days..yippee!!), so God knows what will happen with my weight now, but I am going to keep at my walking and ball workouts and hope for the best!!
You ladies are indeed the BEST, I read your daily threads every chance I get, and you are all doing great and are an inspiration!!!
Hugs to all!!
Maria
Unread 04-21-2002, 11:55 AM

I have searched for some scientific "proof" to back up what many of us are thinking and can't find anything! Hopefully someone else will come along with something.

As far as myself I can't in all honestly say whether or not my hormones or lack thereof has caused me to gain any weight or lose weight for that matter. I currently take .09mg Premarin and don't still feel totally balanced sometimes not sure I even know what that would feel like as I don't know that I have EVER been in balance very well. Never had regular cycles from day 1 and have been overweight throughout most of my highschool yrs and adult life, so was it from hormones or poor eating habits and lack of exercise, low self esteem (from being over weight in the 1st place), genetics, or combination of all of those.

I had lost weight (50+ lbs when I was in my mid 20's) however didn't keep it off very long but it seems that it is a lot slower coming off now than it was then. So is it hormones, HRT, Age(10yrs older now at 36), less effort than before???

I do KNOW that I will not give in to being FAT anymore and just accept it as "thats just the way I am". No matter what has caused my weight it IS possible to lose it despite what the cause is, I will NOT let it win!! I owe it to myself after the second chance I have been given by getting my hyst. in time. I deserve to live the rest of my life healthier and so do you!!!

Take Care, Dawn

TAH/BSO 6-29-01

203/183/135 ~~ 20 lbs gone forever ~~
Unread 04-21-2002, 11:02 PM

I did an advanced search on Google.com using keywords "menopause weight gain" and came up with a number of articles. I can't take time to read them all, but glanced over this one. It mentions HRT & ERT as factors.

http://members.tripod.com/~HealthInfo/

I've never been able to insert a link, so if this works, do a little dance for me (small victory). If not, you have the address anyway.

Here's another which seems to disagree with the first.

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...291920,00.html

It worked, right??? Jody, thanks for your help w links. I went to the instructions you sent when I was trying to do this.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.