Recovery time | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time Recovery time

Unread 04-18-2002, 06:18 AM
Recovery time

I'm curious to know about how long the "average" recovery time is in terms of being able to return to work full-time. I've heard several friends say to just listen to your body and they feel like they were pressured (by their employer) to return to work before they were ready and in hindsight they're wishing they'd have been more firm about taking more time off. Anybody have any ballpark figures for me??? I'm an Admin. Asst. and sit at a computer most of the day.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 06:27 AM
Recovery time

We expect that at 6 weeks we have healed 50%. And, complete healing takes 6 months to a year. So, it is important to rest with your feet up and follow your doctor’s instructions in regard to weight limits for lifting, etc. Taking good care of yourself in the beginning of recovery will lessen the total recovery time; and, hopefully, swelly belly will not last as long.

Some companies (the larger ones anyway) have to have a medical release from the DR saying you can return to work. This is so they won't be liable for any problems in case you return to work too soon. Sitting is an activity. Even at 5 or 6 weeks I still needed to lay down and rest for a while in the afternoon.

When my surgery was scheduled I was given a note for my employer with the dates that I would not be working, and it was 6 weeks.
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:35 AM
Recovery time

If you can manage it financially, you should definitely take the entire 6-8 weeks off. Your employer must accept that with a doctor's note, so they won't be able to pressure you.

Unfortunately, financially, I really couldn't afford more than a couple of weeks. I went back at 2 and 1/2 weeks part time and went full time at 6 weeks. Even though my husband drove me in and carried everything to my office for me, it was really tough. It exhausted me for the rest of the day and I wished I could have stayed off work longer. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Recovery time

HI Amy,
The doctors will say 6-8 weeks. I tried to go back after my 6 week check up ( I clean houses) and boy howdy did I make a mistake!! My dear sisters here on this site advised me to slooooow down, so I did. I went back part time. I find myself at 3 months post-op. still not bending well( but gettig better) and I do not move furniture to sweep under it and won't for a long time. Listen to your body. It will by all means tell you what to do. I also started a program that has helped a lot. I have decided that this year belongs to me. My boys are grown and my DH is wonderful. What-ever you decide, take care of you. Karlene
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Recovery time

I don't work, but wanna toss my in

At me pre-op yesterday, my doc stated I should be back to full activity at 4 weeks post op (I'm having tvh on 4/23). She also said no driving for 1 week, after that it is up to how I feel. No lifting of anything more than 20 lbs (this surprised me). I thought she would of had said 5 lbs. She told dh and I that I will need help around the house, etc for 2 weeks. She said to do what I felt was good, and hold off on the rest. So, do what your body tells you.. but dont forget (and doc reminded me of this).. just because you may not have an external incision doesnt mean you didnt have surgery. She stated the tvh is just like the tah, cept your going in backwards!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register