Lots of questions? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of questions? Lots of questions?

Unread 04-18-2002, 10:41 AM
Lots of questions?

Hi again, I have alot of questions that I hope that you can answer for me. I need to know how long the hospital stay is for a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy? I know it probably depends on the person. How long is the recovery? I am also curious to know if some of you gained weight or lost weight. I have always been small and I am scared about gaining weight. I also need to know what some of you think on HRT. My doctor says that she thinks that I need to be on it. I am 32 yrs. She says at least until I am 50 yrs. old. I am going for now if I can think of other questions, I will write again. Thanks alot, Lisa Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Lots of questions?

Hi!

I haven't had my TAH yet, but my dr. told me I'd go in on Wednesday and go home Friday. She also said I would be off work for 6 weeks. Hope that helps. Sorry I can't help you with the weight issue--that's one of my concerns, too.

On what basis does your dr "think" you need HRT? Has s/he done any tests? My research suggests salivary testing is the most reliable. It is not done everywhere, but it can be obtained. Did she say which hormones? All? Estrogen? Progesterone? Testosterone? Combination? Personally, I would prefer to know what my hormone levels are before starting any kind of HRT, and if I need HRT, it's going to be with bio-identical hormones, not synthetic ones. But that's me. You must do what is best for you, but I had a dr. once who "thought" my hormones were fine, and I don't believe they were.

While my saliva test results have not come back yet, I went ahead with natural progesterone supplementation because I believed (from all my research) I could benefit from it (and being assured there are no harmful side effects from NATURAL progesterone), and it has made a world of difference for me. It has not helped my fibroids or cyst problem that I know of, but I have more energy now than I did ten years ago, and am no longer walking around in a "mental fog."

Hope this helps you some!
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:43 AM
Lots of questions?

hi slim!
I'll be having myTAH/BSO on June 6.Dr. saidexpect to be in a minimum of 2-3 days if no complications.I think it just really depends on each individal person. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 11:51 AM
Lots of questions?

Hi, Lisa. Here are my experiences on your questions. I had TAH/BSO and bladder repair.

Hospital stay - I was in for 3 nights.

Recovery time - I was up and taking very short walks the next day. Felt better, but still laid on the couch a lot at about 1 week, and started work part-time at 2 and 1/2 weeks (I don't recommend that though!!). I was about 90% at 6 weeks and felt 100% at about 4 months.

Weight gain - I was 25 lb overweight before the surgery and didn't gain any after, but I didn't lose any until I started dieting and exercising in January of this year. I've since lost 20 lbs. If you watch your diet and exercise (as you should anyway), you shouldn't gain any weight.

HRT - I'm on Premarin and feel great, with everhthing gone, no PMS, no hot flashes, etc.

All in all, it's the greatest things I've ever done, next to dropping this weight!
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Thanks all

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions.. They helped me alot. Because my surgery was cancelled the first time, I didn't ask my doctor the questions, I needed to ask. Thanks alot again.
Unread 04-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Lots of questions?

Hey sweetie! I know all about those questions! I'm 3 weeks post -op from TAH and was told by dr stay would be 2-4 days. I was out in under 48 hours. I was scarred to go home, but felt glad to be there when I got there.
Aslo, I hate to admit but I have gained about 5 pounds since the surgery. I'm not active now and I was jogging to keep the weight down before and now that all I do is sit and eat I am gaining. But I feel that as I get more active I will start to lose it. I wont let myself worry a bout a few pounds while there are so many other things going on im my body. If you are in good shape before the surgery, you will probably do fine with little to no weight gain. Take Care and email me anytime!:Hug:
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:14 PM
TAH 02/28/02

Hi Lisa;

I had a TAH 7 weeks ago today. The dr said 2-4 days depending on how I did - I was out in 2, and I couldn't wait to get home. Not that there was anything wrong with the hospital, I could have stayed longer if I'd wanted - I just wanted to be holed up in my own house.

How long is the recovery? I was up walking the next day after surgery - carefully, slowly. I was up and around without too much problem after a few days - feeling much more like myself, just sore and swollen. After 8 days I was off the Percocet and just taking Ibuprophen. After a couple of weeks, I was so bored I was dying to be able to do more. I went back to work 1/2 days at 3 1/2 weeks (shouldn't have, but did) and full time at 6 weeks.

I lost 25 pounds in the first month - but that was a fraction of what I need to lose, and just eating healthier, and being sore if I ate more than just a little bit at a time made small meals and snacks mandatory. Lots of water and juice helped.

I kept my ovaries and am not on HRT - they seem to be working and no problems there.

This was the best thing I've done in a long time. I feel so much better, and don't regret any of it.

Best Wishes.

Debbie
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Lots of questions?

Lisa,

I am 31 and had a TAH / BSO on 2-6-02. My hospital stay was 5 days, which is longer than normal but I had complications ( I had a severe reaction to morphine). My recovery was supposed to be 6 wks, but I was a BAD princess and over did it, so my dr kept me out the full 8 wks. If your ovaries are removed, most likely the dr will want you on some kind of HRT. I am on Vivelle Dot Patch .075 and love it :-) I am too very small, I am 4'11" and weigh 100 lbs. I did lose 12 lbs. after my hyst, but I think the dr removed about 10 lbs of that 12. Most women that I've talked to lose weight. Good luck to you, email me anytime :-)

Good wishes and prayers for you
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Lots of questions?

Hi Lisa,

Like Debbie, I had my TAH/BSO on 2/28 and it also was the best thing that I have done.

Lets see if I can throw in my

Hospital stay -- 2 nights. (Thursday and Friday--went home afternoon on Saturday). I was ready to go home. Also Insurance company only approved 2 nights and since I had no problems, DR wouldn't let me stay longer--but it was ok.

Recovery -- Had cathater removed Friday and morphine pump removed on Saturday. Was up and walking to bathroom on Friday. Took a shower and washed my hair in the castle on Saturday. I took it very easy at home. My mom was my caretaker and she was great. I didn't lift a finger. I have no little one to run after. I could drive at two weeks, walking a mile at 4 weeks and almost totaly healed inside at 6 weeks. I am returning to work at 8 weeks.

Weight -- I have lost 18 pounds since surgery. And I can lose a lot more. This is a good start and motivator for me.

HRT -- I have been on Climara patch since night of surgery. I started out at .05mg and was increased to .1mg at 2 weeks. I was having sleeping problems and headaches. So far so good with this dose. I am 47 almost 48.

If you can think of anything else -- we are always here.

Good luck.

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Surgery time?

How long is the surgery? For those of you that have had TAH and have responded to my questions, I thank you very much. The answers have helped me so much. Starting to feel alittle better about the surgery. Thanks Lisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register