Donating blood? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Donating blood? Donating blood?

Unread 04-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Donating blood?

My question is about donating your own blood prior to surgery.
Is it very common for ladies to donate their own blood before their surgery? How many have done this? How much should I donate? How soon before my surgery do I need to donate? Did anyone receive blood transfusions after their surgery?
My surgery isn't until September and I was going to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss this issue. It totally slipped my mind in the last visit I had with him.
Also, any idea how long of a surgical procedure a TAH for adenomyosis would be??

Karen
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Donating blood?

Hi!

I got all the information about donating my blood from my doc, but I'll tell you about my experience. My doc told me that only 1% of women having hysterectomies need a transfusion. With me, I figured I'd be that 1%!! lol hey, you never know!! So he made a note in my file and a nurse from his office sent me some papers to be filled out. Then she made an appt. for me at the American Red Cross. I went, gave my blood, signed some forms and they had it sent to the hospital I was to have my surgery at. My doc said one pint would be fine since it's so rare. When I went for my pre-op appt at the hosp. four days prior to surgery, they took blood, I initialled it stating it was mine, and they put a wristband on me. They had to verify the numbers from my wristband and the blood the Red Cross sent over prior to my surgery. So that was that. They didn't use it. But it was there if they needed too, so I felt better about it. That's what really counts I think...peace of mind.

Take Care
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Donating blood?

My DR doesn't allow her patients to "bank" blood before surgery. She said she wants their tanks to be as full as possible. I lost a lot of blood during surgery but didn't require a transfusion, I had extra IV's of ringers to replace the volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:06 PM
Donating blood?

Hi again!

After reading the post after mine, I thought I'd reply again. I was told by both my doctor and the Red Cross that as long as I donated my last pint of blood one to two weeks prior to surgery, my blood would be good AND replenish itself by the time of my surgery.

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:39 PM
Donating blood?

Hey Karen! My dr told me 50% of all women going through this need blood and did want me to donate. (shows you how all drs opinions differ). I was told to give 2 pints, one week apart and at least one week prior to surgery. I had my surgery in a town 45 minutes away so it was a lot to organize the added trips with kids and all. But I did. Then both drs (I had a urologist and a gyn doing the surgery) told me on two different occassions after the surgery that I had lost a lot of blood and almost needed a transfussion and wasn't I glad since I never got around to giving blood. I was shocked. I told the nurses the morning of surgery, my arm bands matched up, yet neither dr was informed of the blood I had given and would have been given someone ele's blood if they had actually needed it! I'm glad I didn't. But I do think it is a good thing to have just in case - just remind everyone you see that morning about your blood! My prayers are with you!
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:57 PM
Donating blood?

Hi Karen,

What Betty said makes my blood boil! I can't understand mistakes like that. Alot of us fibroid women are too anemic to donate. We are taking iron like crazy in hopes of just getting the opportunity to have the surgery.
Good luck to you in Sept. Karen, and Betty brings up a good point. If you do donate, write it on your forehead!

Maralyn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register