Pre-op relaxation meds? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op relaxation meds? Pre-op relaxation meds?

Unread 04-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

I hear some of you ladies talking about getting something from the dr to calm pre-op nerves. I am now 6 days pre-op and starting to really feel anxious about the surgery. I'm thinking of calling my dr and asking for something but I was wondering what to ask for. I'm taking tylenol 3 for the pain (not that it helps much) but that does not help my anxious, panicky, sick to my stomach feelings.

Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Cherilynn
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

My surgery is on tuesday the 23rd. I just got home from my pre testing at the hospital.. I am taking ativan for those nerves... some LIW take xanax but that makes me feel like I am drunk. Personally I don't like to take anything unless I REALLY need it but I figure I will need it the next couple of days... only after prayer and meditation....
hope this helps...
kara
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Thanks Karah

Thanx for the input Karah! I feel the same way about not taking anything unless I really need it. I've been taking the codeine for so long I think I'm going to have to go to detox! Just kidding.

Are you able to work on the ativan? I can't take the codeine at work so I suffer thru the day.

Good luck on the 23rd!

Cherilynn
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

Hello Cherilynn,
yes, that is what I like about ativan, it just makes me feel peaceful, not high, not 'happy' but calm and even keeled. I think it even helps my BP because I usually run a little on the highnormal side and at the hospital today I had the best reading ever...125/75 and I KNOW I was nervous and scared at the time.
It funny you mention detox, I told the nurse at the hospital today that I would need to go to a rehab for withdrawal if this surgery doesn't happen soon... pain meds are awful and I can't wait to never have to take them again...
best wishes and good luck for your surgery and recovery
kara
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

Hi ladies, don't want to rain on your parade or anything but please ask your DR or the admissions nurse at your pre-op about this before taking anything the day before or the morning of your surgery. In my case at the castle just prior to hooking up the IV they require you to sign another release, and it states that you are not medicated at the time you are signing it. The reason for this last minute release (I have heard other sisters mention it too) is so they make sure that you, at the time of anesthesia, are very clear on exactly what procedure you are having. I had to state in my own words what I understood I was having done, and the nurse wrote it down and I had to sign it, and the form was clipped to my chart attached to the gurney I was taken to the OR on. I guess it is a CYA to try to avoid lawsuits from patients saying the wrong surgery was performed.
Good luck at the castle!
s,
- Linda
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:35 AM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

Hi Linda,
actually I am very glad to hear this .... about the signing of what type of surgery is to be done and all because at my pre op with the hospital and the A guy (who both cleared me for the ativan, but others should ask their own docs) they had down only a tah and I am having a tah/bso ... they said it is all cleared up but I didn't see anything in writing by the time I left.. so the morning I am in their for the surgery... I am doing to be darn sure they take my ovaries and cervix too as my gyn and I agreed upon...
kara
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:41 AM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

Yeah, don't take tylenol w/codeine, that will make you sick. That is one med that gets me sick. Whenever I had a doctor prescribe me that I told him no way, cause it made me sick.

Good luck and you will do fine. Haven't had the jitters yet, had my pre-op on tuesday and the only thing I was worried about was having anemia, but my blood tests came out all fine, I didn't want anything to postpone this surgery, because I don't think I can go on another month with this agony.

archide
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:41 AM
tranquilizers

Hi,

My surgery was April 8th and I asked my doctor for some Xanex and she gave me 5 tablets. One for before bed for 5 nights before. I only took one and still have the other 4. I found the closer I got to surgery the more matter of fact it was. That no matter how nervous I was it had to be done. I felt like I was living in someone elses body. I hope you can get something to help you...good luck.........xxoo Paula
Unread 04-19-2002, 06:16 AM
tylenol

I am anxious also, but the more pain I deal with the last few days, the less anxious I am about the surgery. I want it right now at this moment. The tylenol 3 isn't doing me much good. My surgery is on the 25th so it is all I have. Didn't realize how much the ibuprofen had been helping me until this week.

I am on my third night without sleep. Don't know what to do. I have my pre-op appointment on monday. I am going to ask for something then. I don't know how I will survive the pain until then though. It is driving me nuts!!

Want to hear how great my work is. Told them three weeks ago about the surgery. Actually told my doctor to push it out three weeks instead of two so my work could set up a replacement. I work in a supermarket, an office clerk. Count tills, safe, etc. Went in last night and found out that the ******* had me scheduled for every night until the morning of my surgery. I am scheduled to work until 1 am on surgery day. This means that they are working me 8 days straight. I am livid. All this on no sleep. Time for a new job, I think. I am going to have to tell them to find someone else for surgery day. Hope they will do it.
Unread 04-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Pre-op relaxation meds?

Hi Kelly, so sorry to hear about the lack of support at work (but I'm not surprised). You may not be able to work the night before your surgery anyway; depending on what your DR requests you may be doing some type of preop procedure (enema or other) the night before. Even if you're not, it makes sense that you get as much rest as possible the night before. Good luck!
s,
- Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register