Hair Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Question Hair Question

Unread 04-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Hair Question

Hi Ladies,

I have considered getting a hair permanent before I go to the castle. However, I've heard rumors that anesthisia can wreak havoc on your hair and that permanents just fizzle afterwards. Is this just an old wives tale or is there some truth to this rumor?

Thanks,

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Hair Question

Hi Lisa!

I don't know! I didn't experience any changes like that, but I think I did read of some women complaining about hair changes in general after surgery. I am not sure if this was due to anesthesia or hormones. How about a call to the hairdresser? It is possible they might know if others have had this experience or you could try a search here on the site under 'hair'. Hope someone comes along that may have some thoughts on it.
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Hair Question

Hi,
A year and a half ago I had hernia surgery. It totally ruined my perm. The lady that does my hair said that it was from the anesthesia. I would wait until after surgery to do a perm. My hyst was about 3 1/2 weeks ago and my hair is really acting stupid again (no perm this time). Good luck to you...

Darla
TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 07:21 PM
Hair Question

Hi Lisa,

Great question about the perm and hair changes. I had not heard about this, but I can tell you that my naturally curly hair has been straighter since surgery. I didn't think too much about it at first, but now I wonder. Check with your hair stylist, they always have the scoop on these things! (And I have to remember to ask mine about this too!)

Beth
Unread 04-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Hair Question

Hi all,
I am a hairdresser, and yes some people's hair gets all dry or thin or brittle after surgery. It goes back to normal... (not to worry).
My suggestion is to wait to have perm for awhile after surgery. Wait to see if your hair was effected by surgery. If not, than go for it. IF it has been, then do alot of deep conditioners. (dont just stick with one, change ever so often)

For chemical work it is always best to have your hair in the best condition prior to the service. Cuz, we all know the chemicals are damageing in the best of hair.

Donna
Unread 04-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Thanks

I was thinking about getting a perm myself and wasn't sure with the mix of chemicals and surgery. Just today I made the appointment, but thanks Donna for your reply, now it will only be for a much needed hair cut.

Thanks,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register