twenty nine with questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

twenty nine with questions twenty nine with questions

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:14 PM
twenty nine with questions

I am twenty nine and I have scheduled my TAH for May 3. I am a bit aperhensive about it. I have been dealing with this stuff for two years now with two dnc's in the last year. I have at least one grapefruit sized fibroid, adnomyosis and endometrial polyps. I also had cervical cancer at age 18, but have been free from that for 11 years. I look like i am four or five months pregnant and nothing fits! I am constanly in a bad mood and my family is definately suffering. (and what a wonderful husband and daughter i have ) My back hurts all of the time and I have pain in my abdomine after urination. I have night sweats, periods every two weeks and i complain all of the time...as if you didn't already know that.

Anyway I guess i am just scared if i am making the right decision. Iknow that i do not want to go through this anymore. But my age is an issue and the fact that althought my husband and I deiced on one child I won't be able to have anymore.

I am starting nursing school in the fall and I know that i don't want this hanging over my head, but i am scared. To the point of it causing anxiety.

ANy info would be greatly appereicated.

Also, any advantages to keeping my cervix if the dr will agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:32 PM

Hi Andeefitz,

So glad you found us

Twenty-nine is young, so you are right to be concerned, although you say you do not plan to have other children. Have you considered getting a second opinion? Sometimes this can help ease your mind. After all you've been suffering with, I can understand why you have scheduled the hyst, but it's a tough decision for many of us no matter what our age is (I was 46).

As for keeping the cervix, the primary benefits are that it provides extra pelvic support and can make a difference in your sensations during intercourse. However, many ladies report no loss of sensation without a cervix. One potential drawback is the possibility of having "mini" periods if your cervix remains.

Please discuss this with your gyn to make sure you understand why your gyn thinks it should be removed or not. This is another tough choice, right up there with the decision about whether or not to keep you ovaries.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide and how you are feeling about the decision.

Beth
Unread 04-18-2002, 02:32 PM

Hello, I can understand how you feel. I am only 31 yrs old and I will also be having a TAH this July for a large cervical fibroid. I have difficulty in urination, bleeding and pain on my lower abdomen due to the fibroid pressing on my bladder and kidneys. I too have only one daughter and sometimes I do feel sad that I would not be able to give her another brother/sister to grow up with. Everyone on this site have been superbly wonderful and sinced I found this site, I know that I am not facing this problem alone and whatever I am going through, at least one other person has experienced it before and they are WELL and HAPPY and HEALTHY!!! My husband has been wonderful as well and he told me that the worst will be over once I have my surgery and we'll just have to take one thing at a time from then on and we will be OK. All the best to you on your surgery and I hope that you'll come back and talk soon! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:35 PM

Andee, Hello and welcome to the gang. I am glad you found the site. I am 30 and i can say i understand what you are going through.I think you need to ask yourself if your quality of life has diminished because of what is going on inside your body.If the answer is yes, then find out if there is any alternative or way to prolong the surgery and be kept pain free until your mind is made up. I have severe endometriosis,adenomyosis,and get painful cysts so i can't wait until they do the surgery which by the way is the 25th of this month, yeah! I have 3 boys and a loving husband that is with me whatever i decide which makes it a whole lot easier. If you do keep your uterus are you still going to have children? I have been told that this hysterectomy will change my life for the better.I have not heard one woman tell me this surgery was a mistake, all have been so happy with how much better they feel now. I think if you are unsure you should probably take more time to think about your options. good luck and i hope i helped.
Unread 04-19-2002, 04:56 AM

Hi, I am 27 (28 on may 27th) and I am scheduled for a total hyster on 13th May.

I have weighed up the pros and cons of this surgery due to my age, and having decided 3 kids were enough, and that the pain is becoming worse each day, I decided to get everything taken out.
I still think about the decision, whether it is the right one, but deep down I know that it is one that I will never regret...no more periods, no more pms mega mood swings (i hope )
good luck

ps...i complain heaps too

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register